Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Performance Issue using Hyperdock for Keyboard and Mouse whilst using the Razer ...

Performance Issue using Hyperdock for Keyboard and Mouse whilst using the Razer Core X + GTX 1080 + MacBook Pro 2018 15inch i9 32GB 1TB on Windows 10 Pro (Bootcamp)  

RSS

(@dennis_kievits_elertan)

Dear Enthusiasts!

I have bought this laptop mostly for productivity work, but I have created a Bootcamp partition to play games on in my spare time. I figured it would be a great all-in-one solution.

I'm new to using USB-C and eGPU enclosures and I'm facing a weird issue that I can't really figure out on my own.

Whenever I sent input from either my mouse (clicking or moving) or keyboard (pressing the keys) to the laptop, my GTX 1080's utilization just massively drops, like there isn't enough bandwith for the eGPU to cooperate with the hyperdock I have plugged in.

I have tried to use the laptop's on-board trackpad and keyboard, and  that has no issues at all.

Here is a video that really shows the issue:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hoxKXuceGM4tnySs8

Thanks a lot for the help!

- Elertan

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

What's a hyperdock?

Plug the mouse and keyboard into something else?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote

A hyperdock is an accessorie that plugs into USB-C and lets me plug in 2 USB 3.0, 1 HDMI, 1 SD Card, Ethernet etc. I can't plug it into something else because my keyboard and mouse are USB type A and my laptop (MacBook Pro) only supports USB type C.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

I was expecting maybe a link? Of course I googled Hyperdock before asking, and couldn't find anything except a piece of software that affects the macOS dock. Maybe you mean HyperDrive? There's multiple models, so a link to the one you're using would be helpful.

It looks like the HyperDrive covers both USB-C ports on the left side of the MacBook Pro, so you have The Razor Core X plugged into the right side? They should not conflict in that case...

Actually, in the movie it looks like you're using a HyperDrive that has a cable and it's connected to the same Thunderbolt 3 controller as the eGPU. Try connecting it to the other side of the MacBook Pro?

Which keys are you pressing?

itsage liked
ReplyQuote

They are both connected on the same side yeah (left side), but when I cold boot into windows with the HyperDrive on the right side of the MBP screen will go black and the screen connected to the eGPU as well. Or atleast get no video source from the gpu.

To be fair I didnt even know the 2 ports shared bandwith, I guess I should do more research  🙂 

And sorry for not including a link to the HyperDrive,  I'm using the HyperDrive SLIM 8-in-1 USB-C Hub by Sanho https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-slim-usb-c-hub-for-macbook-ultrabook-chromebook-pc-usb-c-devices

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Like @joevt3 suggested, plug the USB hub to the other side. The two Thunderbolt 3 ports on each side go through the same TB3 controller. It’s best to preserve the controller for the eGPU solely.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

Posted by: Dennis Kievits (Elertan)

They are both connected on the same side yeah (left side), but when I cold boot into windows with the HyperDrive on the right side of the MBP screen will go black and the screen connected to the eGPU as well. Or atleast get no video source from the gpu.

Well, it's just a USB hub, and USB is hot pluggable, so you should be able to connect it after it boots?

I don't understand what it has to do with the MBP screen. What are the two screens? What are they connected to?

Is it possible that it's a Windows PCIe resource problem? That might be the case if the USB controller of the right hand Thunderbolt controller does not appear in Device Manager unless something is connected to it? Then if something is connected to it and causes it to appear in the Device Manager then Windows could fail to allocate resources for the left hand Thunderbolt controller?

You need some USB-C to USB-A adapters to rule out issues with the ports (i.e. maybe it's a problem with the hub?).

ReplyQuote

Hot plugging the HyperDrive ends up with windows completely freezing into an automatic reboot, and pre-inserting the HyperDrive before boot ends up with a black internal screen and the 2 screens connected to the video card in the eGPU receiving no signal. I think I'll try the USB-C to USB-A adapters option then, which I'd rather not do because this would be an all-in-one solution, but that might work. I'll post my results here to keep the thread updated.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

Posted by: Dennis Kievits (Elertan)

Hot plugging the HyperDrive ends up with windows completely freezing into an automatic reboot, and pre-inserting the HyperDrive before boot ends up with a black internal screen and the 2 screens connected to the video card in the eGPU receiving no signal. I think I'll try the USB-C to USB-A adapters option then, which I'd rather not do because this would be an all-in-one solution, but that might work. I'll post my results here to keep the thread updated.

That's very strange. Maybe driver problems? I might try software like Driver Genius 18 to find all driver updates.

Does this happen when the eGPU is not connected?

With a USB-C to USB-A adapter, you'll be able to test USB devices that are not a hub and don't have a display output.  You could also try a hub that doesn't have a display output. In this way, you can determine what part of the HyperDrive is causing the problem. It would be very bad if any USB device causes the problem.

ReplyQuote
zharrief
(@zharrief)

My 2017 MBP15 had a working eGPU in Windows but Windows would hang when I plugged my USB 3 dock into a port after Windows had loaded. I fixed it by disabling the left side ports and the dGPU. Now I just use the two right side Tb3 ports in Windows, one for the eGPU and the other for the dock.

Your issue is likely the Pc doesn’t have enough resources to support the dock in addition to all the GPUs, kinda like an error 12 issue. I would follow the guide to fix error 12 issues and see if that fixes your dock issue.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

Posted by: zharrief

My 2017 MBP15 had a working eGPU in Windows but Windows would hang when I plugged my USB 3 dock into a port after Windows had loaded. I fixed it by disabling the left side ports and the dGPU. Now I just use the two right side Tb3 ports in Windows, one for the eGPU and the other for the dock.

Your issue is likely the Pc doesn’t have enough resources to support the dock in addition to all the GPUs, kinda like an error 12 issue. I would follow the guide to fix error 12 issues and see if that fixes your dock issue.

USB hubs and docks don't take extra resources. The only way it could cause a problem is if the USB controller doesn't exist before you connect it. Check the Device Manager in Windows. Is there a USB controller in the Thunderbolt controller tree? Does your laptop have BIOS Thunderbolt settings that can force the USB controller to always exist, maybe Force Power? Well Mac's don't have BIOS options so never mind.

You would think that Boot Camp supported USB devices at least. Apple doesn't support eGPUs in Boot Camp. So we have to know if the USB hub works without the eGPU first. What method was used to make the eGPU work in Windows? I wonder of the display port of the USB hub is activating the dGPU? One of my suggestions was to try a hub without a display port. A solution might require DSDT edits (was that the method you used to disable the left side ports and dGPU?).

ReplyQuote
zharrief
(@zharrief)

I guess it depends on what you mean by resources. In this case, simply disabling the PCIe of the dGPU and either the 4x (right side) or 8x (left side) will work. When they are all enabled I think (esp with docks and hubs) you can run out of enough USB controller resources. I previously ran into this issue with my HTC Vive on another PC, kinda like what this guy ran into reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4fud3j/usb_controller_resources/

ReplyQuote
rogger007
(@rogger007)

If you are worried about the performance issue feel free to contact iCloud customer service. You must have a look at the performance monitor from the task manager. If you notice any unknown file taking up the CPU sage then immediately end the task.

ReplyQuote