Notifications
Clear all

Radeon RX 6800 XT for Mac  

of  3
  RSS

jimmcq
(@jimmcq)

Will the Radeon RX 6800 XT just work out of the box (well, in an eGPU box, no pun intended) with a Mac? Will the driver support be there at launch?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jimmcq, Unlikely to have launch day support in macOS. Navi cards waited about 3 months for macOS drivers. The RX 6000 series GPUs should work in Windows. Boot Camp eGPU setup process depends on the particular Mac.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jimmcq
(@jimmcq)

@itsage, thanks for the info!  I'm not worried about getting it to work in Boot Camp... but if it won't work in MacOS for a while, then I'll hold off a bit on my purchase.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

We will need to wait a little, but I’m quite optimistic!

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

With all the people asking questions of them, I'm surprised one of the questions wasn't if they knew if Apple was going to support them in macOS. I'm taking a guess Lisa just would have deferred to Apple.

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 20H2 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
craftsman
(@craftsman)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @jimmcq

Will the Radeon RX 6800 XT just work out of the box (well, in an eGPU box, no pun intended) with a Mac? Will the driver support be there at launch?

Doubtful. It's not a good idea business wise for support to be there before they announce a Mac with 2nd gen Navi included. If you're happy using a 6800/6900 with Windows while everyone waits for macOS support then you can be the first tester Smile

This post was modified 1 month ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@odin, I don't think Apple has too many choices but to keep supporting AMD cards for the next few years. The eGPU userbase might not be that significant but we're a vocal crowd. Also the 2019 Mac Pro is barely on the market for a year and those users wouldn't be too happy if there's no more upgrade path for GPUs.

AMD got the pricing and performance to be very competitive with Nvidia RTX 3000 series. Nvidia really shot themselves in the foot for this paper launch. RTX 3070 retail availability this morning was another joke. Here's hoping I can secure an RX 6800 XT by Thanksgiving!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)
Eminent Member

I'm very tempted by this when it's available, but I think it would make sense to wait for some benchmarks on how much of a hit TB3 puts on the card.  It may be that it's simply too powerful and underutilized to be a viable eGPU and you may as well get a cheaper card or stay with whatever generation you're on.  Let's hope not though.

Mac Mini 2018 6-core i7, 32 GB/ Razer Core X / AMD Vega 64 / LG Ultrawide Display

ReplyQuote
Spencer Shulem
(@spencer_shulem)

@habadera, you may be doing it wrong. If you’re having the displays connected to your Mac and the GPU throughput trying to be put through the TB3 cable, you’re gonna have a bad time. You want to connect the display ports to the GPU directly, and have the CPU processes get sent to the GPU through the TB3. With proper drivers, a new GPU won’t be limited by TB3. 

You can see pretty significant benchmarks between GPU -> Laptop/Computer -> Displays and Displays -> GPU -> Laptop/Computer. 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
ataylor
(@ataylor)
Eminent Member

Ok here is the question.. NOTE i'm talking Compute (3d Rednering - Octane/Redshift) - in OSX NOT "gaming in Bootcamp in this case:  I'm going back and forth etc... But my main remaining questions are 2.

1 - Far as bang for the buck..  3 6800XT cards vs 2 6900XT cards... ??

2 - Will my Sonnet Breakway box 550 work? for those cards with their burst power?

2018 MacBookPro 15 in. /w Touchbar - i9 - 32gig ram - 1080 Aorus 1080 Gaming Box - Sonnet-Breakaway550 with GTX 1080 - Still need to get both of the GTX 980TI working for 4 GTX total cards

ReplyQuote
 of  3