Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Radeon VII compatible with Mac?

Radeon VII compatible with Mac?  

of  19
  RSS

Gorazd K
(@gorazd-k)

Hi,

I can confirm that the Netstor HL23T-Plus really works great with the Radeon VII cards! There is no sleep fan issue anymore and it is officially the only EGPU enclosure which is certified for the Radeon VII cards. It is almost dead quiet although I will replace the internal 8 cm fan with the two Noctua 8cm NF-A8 ULN fans... It has special 400W industry rated PSU which according to the Netstor is more than 600W capable and is not replaceable with the Corsair 750 SFX PSU units because there is no room and the original PSU (which is much more slimmer industry server dimensions) is more than capable and quiet!  After several days of testing I am really amazed! This makes the Netsor HL23T-Plus the best and the cheapest EGPU enclosure on the market!  Please know that I love Sonnet EGPU boxes and Akitio Node PRO EGPU boxes and I have replaced in them the PSU units with the most expensive Corsair 750 SFX ones in order that the Radeon VII cards shall work stable! I have also replaced the fans with the Noctua ones and after you do this to 10+ enclosures they become the expensivest ones... And you still have the airport in the studio because of the fan issue when you return from the lunch! After visiting IBC exhibition in Amsterdam in the middle of September I visited Sonnet booth to ask if there shall be some sort of solution (or upgrade plan - board upgrade replacement program... what they did several times in the past with the Thunderbolt 1 to 2 and 3 cards upgrades with their products ...) to make their egpu boxes compatible to the Intel 33,1 thunderbolt firmware and Radeon VII cards because of the fan issue and they offered only the best solution with the power switches which are normally used in kitchens for toasters and etc... Please now that I love Sonnet a lot and I have invested a lot in their EGPU boxes and I have also several Akitio Node Pro boxes and on Akitio web pages there they offer similar approach... After I saw that there might be no solution for my airport or kitchen I went a few booths further to my old friends at Starline computer booth. They in the past sold me a lot of Netstor raid enclosures and Areca Raid cards... So I asked them if they can provide several Netstor HL23T-Plus units, they checked if such units are already available and in two weeks they delivered the amazing Netstor HL23T-Plus units - the first ones in Europe... What is so nice about the dimensions of the Netstor units is that you can put four of them in one rack shelf with the space between them for air flow. With Akitio Node PRO you can put three of them on one rack shelf and with the Sonnet two of such egpu boxes. I would never imagine that I shall use the Netstor Egpu boxes for my Radeon VII cards. But the past once again became the future... And Netstor always innovate... just look at their NA622TB3 four slot NMVe SSD external box. Of course I went then also to the AMD booth - all of these booths were in the same hall :D. I spoke with the official person who is responsible for the development of the Radeon VII cards and he immediately knew the issue ... and he was amazed how many Radeon VII cards I own... and there shall not be any new bios (hardware issue... NDA), because if the new bios could solve the problem it would be already released in April... He was amazed and thankful about the positive news about the Netstor Egpu HL23T-Plus box superior solution and Intel firmware 33,1 aproval- he did not know it! I immediately saw the big relief on his face... "Imagine what Mrs. Lisa would do to him if she knew what board they have baked... :D"  Finally there is Intel and one third party - Netstor who shall save the AMD! 😀 And the big thanks goes to "itsage" who spread the news! Thank you very much "itsage"!!! Now my studio is finally the studio again and not anymore the airport or kitchen! Of course I still like Sonnet a lot and they make one of the best 10Gb ethernet cards and Thunderbolt 3 10Gb ethernet adapters which work great in my studio. And their EGPU boxes with Corsair SFX 750 PSUs were fantastic for my past Asus Strix OC Vega 64 cards. And Akitio makes one of the best Thunderbolt 3 2m active cables for the egpu enclosures! The only shame on the Netstor is that there is only 0,5 m Thunderbolt 3 cable supplied! Anyway the Netsor HL23T-Plus really rocks! And long live the AMD Radeon VII cards!

Sincerely,

Gorazd

This post was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @gorazd-k

officially the only EGPU enclosure which is certified for the Radeon VII cards

Certified by who?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Gorazd K
(@gorazd-k)

Hi,

certified by Netstor (Radeon VII compatible under Win 10 and Apple logo - without * chavets what some other manufactuters do...):

you can check on the bottom of this web page: PERFECT GRAPHIC CARD COMPATIBILITY under Win10 and Apple logo (no more nVidia cards under Apple logo...):

Netstor HL23T-PLUS link

Sincerely,

Gorazd.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@gorazd-k Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. They should explain how the Radeon VII works better in their enclosure.

Sonnet describes the problem with the Radeon VII at the bottom of their compatibility pdf:
https://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/Compatibility_Graphics_Cards.pdf
They don't explain (nor would I expect them to) that other enclosures might not suffer from this problem.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

I would agree with @joevt, there should be a clear sheet somewhere, by AMD at least, detailing the issue and specifying which enclosures are affected and which are R7 certified!

@Gorazd K pretty good read happy you sorted out, but unfortunately not all R7 customers seeking eGPU ventures would go to booths/forums to solve an issue that should not exist in first place.

Being an enthusiast is nice, but sometimes manufacturers should remember that not all users are into flashing bios and updating stuff each month to keep up with all the patches pushed out!

Which mean half baked products if left without updates over time!

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
rawwd
(@rawwd)

@arden_shibley

I am now in the position you were for a long time, only I still have 12 days of return time. I however run Da Vinci Resolve and this is what I want to use it for, and for that the VII is superior according to Puget Systems – apart from the fact that they made their tests on Windows. So perhaps I should just be happy to try it with Bootcamp (still haven't gotten to it). I foresee that Resolve will make the most of the 16Gb RAM on the card and with a Studio (paid) edition I probably can use the 460 pro in my MBP as well.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-AMD-Radeon-VII-16GB-Performance-1382/

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

MacBook Pro 15" Touchbar 2016, 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 (I7-6700HQ) quadcore, 1TB SSD
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB, AMD Radeon Pro 460 4 MB
Identifiers: Late 2016 15" (Touch Bar) - MLH32LL/A* - MacBookPro13,3 - A1707 - 3072
macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (Oct 2019)
Enclosure: Razer Core X (Oct 2019)
GFX Card: Gigabyte AMD Radeon VII HBM2 16 GB (Oct 2019)

ReplyQuote
lilipeipei
(@lilipeipei)

That fan issue is definitely annoying. 

I have been using Core X Chroma with R7 for about 2 months, I have to turn the PSU off every night as the fan noise is really loud.

Considering switching to 5700 series.

ReplyQuote
 of  19