Notifications
Clear all

Radeon VII compatible with Mac?  

 of  68
  RSS

Kelvin Tan
(@kelvin_tan)
Estimable Member
Joined: 3 years ago
 

Just a quick heads up on how strong the compute power of the Radeon VII is:

GTX 1080Ti + Mantiz Venus + X1 Tablet Gen 3

Desktop 2019 04 09 14.32.44

Radeon VII + Razer Core X + X1 Tablet Gen 3

GPGPU Bench Suite   AIDA64 2019 03 12 16.59.06

Vega 56 (flashed to Vega 64 bios) + Mantiz Venus + X1 Tablet Gen 3

Mantiz Venus + Vega 56 + Apple TB3 cable

Overall performance view and percentage difference

Desktop 2019 04 09 19.31.18

The Radeon VII is quite a strong performer, especially in double precision tasks (even with its DP cores limited artificially). In games you won't see much of a difference, but if more software evolves and takes advantage of GPGPU computing the Radeon VII will pull ahead.

The only issue is when games or software evolves there probably will be one or two generations of GPUs ahead of the Radeon VII.

X1 Yoga Gen3, X1 Tablet Gen 3, MacBook Pro 15" 2018
Razer Core X / Mantiz Venus
Asrock Radeon VII, Zotac Nvidia 1080Ti Amp Core Extreme, Powercolor Vega 56 reference (flashed to V64 bios)


itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin
Joined: 4 years ago
 

@kelvin_tan Nice comparison table! The Radeon VII is a very strong compute card. Problem is AMD announced and marketed it a Gaming GPU.

I left the Mantiz Venus + Radeon VII connected to my Mac mini in sleep mode overnight. At one point the Mac mini crashed and shut down. Radeon VII fans ran full blast and woke me up.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

 
2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  


ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member
Joined: 4 years ago
 

@ Kelvin Tan

Humm quite impressed by the FP64 of VegaII, i mean i thought AMD kept the 1/16 FP32 ratio for the double precision like Vega.

It seems instead the FP32/FP64 ratio have been pushed to almost 1/4 quite impressing, much as the memory copy speed.

These cards are a true beast when it come to crunch numbers.

This post was modified 2 years ago

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

 
2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  


ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator
Joined: 4 years ago
 

@kelvin_tan nice chart. The “reference Vega 64” is your flashed 56 right? Because the SP FLOPs seem much lower (a true 64 would do 13.3 TFLOPs or roundabout). Also the 1080 Ti did rather well on that. IIRC it typically maxes out at 11-12 TFLOPs in-between for a reference model. The memory boost seen in the Radeon VII is remarkable.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

 
2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  


ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
Joined: 2 years ago
 

It's still interesting  in SP Mandel the GTX1080Ti beats the competition while losing in the most other categories.

About FP64 Performance:
Yes, the Radeon VII FP64 is impressing, but nearly useless in most application including rendering and image/video processing.

Double precision can be important for scientific calculation, but who does this? Is there anybody in the eGPU community doing numeric calculations/simulations? I don't think so. 80% is gaming, the other 20% doing some Movie/Imaging stuff. Double precision being superfluous.

I did such simulations for my PhD, but this is long ago, now  I have a Titan Black which can do 1700 Flops in FP64 (yes, you heard it from a 5 year old card), but don't do any scientific research anymore...a pity.

@kelvin_tan In the comparing table there is something wrong: I guess the comparing column headers should be "Radeon VII vs GTX1080Ti", "Radeon VII vs V64" and the last one is correct: "V64 vs GTx1080Ti".

This post was modified 2 years ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

 
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  


ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator
Joined: 4 years ago
 

@oliverb Agreed. Applications of FP64 compute are rather limited to the scientific community in most cases - where accuracy is important. Games don't need so much accuracy, or at least the performance hit is simply not worth it. SP and even support for half-precision is more reflective of performance with respect to games. In general though, FLOPs should be taken with a grain of salt (a Vega 64 has more FLOPs but is easily slower than a 1080 Ti in games). Nonetheless cool results either way.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

 
2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  


ReplyQuote
screendor
(@screendor)
Trusted Member
Joined: 3 years ago
 

@OliverB :Is there anybody in the eGPU community doing numeric calculations/simulations? I don't think so. 80% is gaming, the other 20% doing some Movie/Imaging stuff. Double precision being superfluous."

Do you think this will change as they enhance the drivers? Are you saying this is not a great card for gaming and video processing (my interest being the latter)?  Thanks.

2017 iMac 5K 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 40 GB 2400 MHz
Internal AMD 580 Pro 8GB; Akitio Node Pro + AMD Radeon VII


ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member
Joined: 2 years ago
 
Posted by: screendor

@OliverB :Is there anybody in the eGPU community doing numeric calculations/simulations? I don't think so. 80% is gaming, the other 20% doing some Movie/Imaging stuff. Double precision being superfluous."

Do you think this will change as they enhance the drivers? Are you saying this is not a great card for gaming and video processing (my interest being the latter)?  Thanks.

Radeon VII is a still good card in many aspects. I made extensive tests with it and it's little bit unfair to compare it with a superclocked GTX1080Ti in gaming.  When it's fully supported in MacOSX its value is higher than a GTX1080Ti, where High Sierra seems to be the end of road. 

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

 
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  


ikir and Kelvin Tan liked
ReplyQuote
p_gartner
(@p_gartner)
Active Member
Joined: 2 years ago
 

@juan_c_yunis wondering if you can  give me some guidance? Im able to get my setup to work on the MAC OS side  (setup: 17 MacBook Pro + Razer Core + AMD Radeon VII + LG UL 4k Monitor). Im trying to get this to work on the windows 10 side, via bootcamp and when I boot up on the windows side I get a message that my displayport version may cause the LG screen to dark and it wont connect. Any help would be much appreciated... looking to use it for gaming.

2017 MacBook Pro Core 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII


ReplyQuote
Defoler
(@defoler)
Eminent Member
Joined: 2 years ago
 
Posted by: p_gartner

@juan_c_yunis wondering if you can  give me some guidance? Im able to get my setup to work on the MAC OS side  (setup: 17 MacBook Pro + Razer Core + AMD Radeon VII + LG UL 4k Monitor). Im trying to get this to work on the windows 10 side, via bootcamp and when I boot up on the windows side I get a message that my displayport version may cause the LG screen to dark and it wont connect. Any help would be much appreciated... looking to use it for gaming.

Just to understand what you are trying to do, are you trying to use the VII display port output to the LG 4K?
If that is correct, it shouldn't work. Because the LG is a TB 3 monitor, not display port. It doesn't support display port connection.
You will need the LG to be connected to the macbook pro TB3 ports in order to make it work. I don't know if you can boost it in bootcamp though.

In my own setup I have the 5K connected to the macbook pro, while I have the eGPU power another monitor in bootcamp. They both work, but the dGPU in the macbook pro is powering the LG.

This post was modified 2 years ago
2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  68