Relentless Code 12 (2020 MBP 13", Win10 1903, RX 580, Razer Core X)
Sorry, I do realize this is probably a tired subject at this point, but I can't get past Code 12 despite trying various troubleshooting methods discussed here... The GPU worked like a charm plug-and-play on the MacOS side, but I mostly purchased it for running Windows CAD programs and gaming. I am considering returning my eGPU setup to Amazon because frankly I'm at wit's end haha. I'm considering trying the DSDT route, but it sounds a little sus to me because of the warnings that the process can brick MBPs. Any guidance on what worked for you, reference to existing solutions I haven't seen, or what options are considered safe would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Here's my setup:
- 2020 MacBook Pro 13" running OS Catalina 10.15.6
- Boot Camp Partition running Windows 10 1903 (build 18362.30)
- Razer Core X
- Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580
I followed the generic guidelines found in the bootcampdrivers.com installation video and here:
- Disabled Windows Update via Command/Windows Key > Services > Windows Update
- Disabled the camera, tried to disable PCI Express Root Ports #1 and #3 but couldn't find them as shown on other's screens (could this be the problem? please advise, I can attach a photo of my screen in Device Manager if that would help)
- Ran DDU in Safe Mode with all AMD options ticked and "prevent downloads of drivers from Windows updates"
- Tried both bootcampdrivers.com's driver installation package and the official Radeon driver package for RX 580
- tried with and without "Additional Options" > "Factory Reset" ticked
- every time, I get "Error 207" on the Radeon installer. then when I check Device Manager, it detects the RX 580 but it has the warning sign and when I go to Properties it says Code 12 blah blah
- I also tried booting via the EFI script(?) which I think @itsage posted, to no avail.
- I tried "hot-plugging" the eGPU, although not certain that I did this correctly as I saw it done a few different ways on youtube. the first way was shutting down, powering it on while plugged-in, then booting windows 10. second was powering it on as soon as the windows logo appeared on startup. third was powering on the EGPU while Windows 10 was already up and running. each time, I got a notification saying something along the lines of “Windows is setting up your device” and then “VGA Video Adapter is ready to use.”
- Will update as I try more things but I'm probably near having spent 24 hours all-told trying to figure this out.