Reuse RTX 2070 GPU from Aorus Gaming Box in a PC build?

Notifications
Clear all

Reuse RTX 2070 GPU from Aorus Gaming Box in a PC build?  

RSS

WishyWashyDark
(@wishywashydark)

Hey everyone. For the last 14 years, I've been using iMacs for work with Boot Camp partitions for Windows gaming. At some point, the GTX 680MX in my current Mac couldn't keep up with current games any more, so about 18 months ago I got an Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box and managed to get it to work thanks to the invaluable help of Nando. The eGPU has been performing much better than expected despite the TB1 bottle neck (my iMac was the very first model that ever had Thunderbolt support). I've even played through Alyx on my Rift CV1 without any hiccups.

However, I'll have to replace my eight year old i5 iMac in the near future. And since the M1 seems to be a very capable chip, it probably won't be another Intel machine. I am therefore inevitably in the market for a dedicated gaming PC and always had a crush on Intels tiny NUC 9 Extreme (Ghost Canyon) kits. But I'll need a compatible SFF GPU for it and Turing-based RTX "Mini" cards seem to have vanished from the face of the earth since Ampere is upon us.

So here is my question: Does anybody know if I could simply reuse the RTX 2070 from my Aorus eGPU? I'm not entirely sure if the oversized fan will fit into the NUC, but apart from that it is a standard 2-slot RTX GPU, right? With standard connectors and a standard board power rating of 175 Watts? The RTX 2070 is the most powerful GPU on the NUC 9 compatibility list, so if I'm not missing anything, I'm willing to give it a try.

Thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@wishywashydark, The 130mm fan may clear the x4 physical PCIe slot. You can find motherboard photos of the NUC 9 Extreme and make a scaled measurement. PowerColor RX 5600 XT ITX is not a bad choice if you can sell the RTX 2070 Gaming Box.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
WishyWashyDark
(@wishywashydark)

@itsage, thank you so much for your reply.

The x4 PCI slot on the NUC 9 Extreme riser card is what worries me the most. However, when comparing the NUC and ePGU board layouts, there are components on the Aorus PCB (silver square capacitors?) in a very similar position, so I'm hoping for the best.

NUC 9 Extreme Riser Board

Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box Board

Regarding Radeon cards: I was thinking about those, too. However, Intel's Compatibility Tool (Link) only lists Nvidia GPUs for the NUC 9E, so I'd rather not take the risk. Could be a stupid political thing, of course, since AMD gives Intel hell with its Ryzen CPUs.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
WishyWashyDark
(@wishywashydark)

My NUC has arrived today and the RTX 2070 from my Aorus Gaming Box fits into it perfectly.

There is only a 1-2 mm gap between the fan and the 4x PCIe slot on the baseboard or the cross-beam of the case, but somehow that makes the build even cooler. 😉

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@wishywashydark, Very glad to hear this update! We'd love to see a photo of it.

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
WishyWashyDark
(@wishywashydark)

@itsage, very silly question: how do I post photos? It this something I'm not yet allowed to do as a newbie?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@wishywashydark, We have a 5 post requirement before a user can upload images/attachment. This is to prevent spam content and negative tactics. You can reply to this topic and that should get you to 5 post count then upload photos to the original post.

ReplyQuote