Share:

RTX 2080 Ti with Asus XG Station Pro — compatible?  

RSS

saschamt
(@saschamt)
November 9, 2018 12:28 pm  

Is it possible to pair a RTX 2080 Ti in the two-slot config with the Asus XG Station Pro? I'm currently in the EVGA queue to upgrade but I'm unsure if my enclosure could handle it. I don't need to overclock the card.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 9, 2018 2:32 pm  

The card will physically fit no problem. RTX 2080 Ti power draw is 250W so it should work with the XG Station Pro (300W GPU max power).

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

saschamt liked
ReplyQuote
saschamt
(@saschamt)
November 9, 2018 2:38 pm  

Thanks for reassuring me @theitsage — I'll report back once I get the upgrade.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member
December 3, 2018 4:46 pm  

@saschamt

What was your experience with the Asus XG Station Pro and the RTX 2080 ti? I saw that the peak draw of the RTX 2080 ti could go into the 325 watt range and I am concerned that this will be a limiting factor.  I appreciate any information you can provide on your experience.

ReplyQuote
saschamt
(@saschamt)
December 3, 2018 5:12 pm  
Posted by: ishikawa_goemon

@saschamt

What was your experience with the Asus XG Station Pro and the RTX 2080 ti? I saw that the peak draw of the RTX 2080 ti could go into the 325 watt range and I am concerned that this will be a limiting factor.  I appreciate any information you can provide on your experience.

@ishikawa_goemon I haven't upgraded to the RTX 2080Ti yet, still running a 1080Ti. I might skip this cycle altogether.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member
December 3, 2018 10:36 pm  

@itsage, can you point me towards any updates concerning user experiences with running the RTX 2080 tis on the Asus XG Station Pros? I did a forum search and google search and it seems sparse. I see that the RTX 2080 ti cards run in the 270-280 watt during typical sustained usage. However, I have seen that the peak power can go as high as just under 330 watts. Based on this and the 330 watt power brick of the XG Station Pro (with rated 300w power delivery to GPU according to egpu.io review), do you see there being a issue running the 2080 ti (FE) on this eGPU enclosure? Thank you for any sage wisdom you can provide.

ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Eminent Member
December 11, 2018 2:12 am  

Follow-up for the community regarding use of an RTX 2080 ti FE with an Asus XG Station Pro. The TL:DR is that if you plan on running this card overclocked, during sustained gaming, your card will draw too much power and crash the eGPU enclosure.

I used the Nvidia OC Scanner-produced OC curve with my RTX 2080ti FE on an Asus XG Station Pro. Since I saw that this GPU would have typical draws of about 270-280 watts with peak draws of just under 330 watts, I figured that the XG Station's 330 watt external PSU would be sufficient. While running short bursts such as Superposition or Valley benchmarks, I had zero issues with the RTX 2080ti + Asus XG Station Pro combo and posted scores comparable to when the GPU was in the Razer Core X.

However, over longer gaming sessions (Witcher 3 @ 4K on an external monitor), I started to see sometimes the game would just crash, I would lose all signal to my monitor and my laptop screen would revert to be my primary display. At this point I needed to power cycle the eGPU enclosure and even restarting and trying to go back into the game would produce a similar crash. Eventually, I realized that the external PSU's power was no longer coming on (no green light) when the power cycle failed. The only way I could remedy this was to unplug and re-plug the PSU in and then I would be able to get back into the game. This happened 2x days in a row during longer gaming sessions with the GPU running the OC profile. At first, I thought it was just a quirk and then out of curiosity, I looked up symptoms of what happens when a GPU draws more power than the PSU can handle. The symptoms of sudden crashes, tripping some sort of power protection so that the PSU powers down, etc were almost exactly like what I had experienced while playing.

Before getting my desktop, I had a Razer Core X with a 650 watt PSU running the same Nvidia OC curve and never had any issues. This leads me to believe that while the Asus XG Station Pro may be able to handle the RTX 2080ti power draw during shorter bursts and with maybe longer with no overclock, OC over longer sessions will result in more power draw than the external PSU can handle. This may one day be remedied if Asus releases the dual power source thing that was highlighted in egpu.io's review. However for the time being, be aware of the limitations of using the RTX 2080ti FE in the XG Station Pro.

ReplyQuote
saschamt
(@saschamt)
March 8, 2019 6:38 pm  

Thanks for the report! So the EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition Gaming with 250w TDP and 112% power limit should theoretically work fine, right? Because I was finally offered to step up from my 1080Ti 🙂

Edit: not planning any OC. 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote