Notifications
Clear all

RTX 3070 Founders Edition paired with Razer Core X  

of  3
  RSS

Cebro
(@cebro)

Hi everyone,

I'm Cebro and new to the egpu.io community. I was lucky and secured a RTX 3070 Founders Edition today, which I now want to pair with my Razer Core X that I bought last month. Pretty exciting since this will be my first eGPU build!

So, I was wondering if the RTX 3070 Founders Edition is compatible with the Razer Core X since the Founders Edition seems to have a special design. Someone pointed out in the forum a few weeks ago that there might be some issues regarding the flow through design of the RTX 3080 and 3090 when pairing it with some eGPU enclosures. As far as I could research, the 3070 seems to have a normal thermal design like the custom cards have.

I also asked the Razer support for the card's compatibility. But they don't want to give any information on compatibility before they have tested the cards themselves.

What do you think? Will the 3070 Founders Edition work just fine in the Razer Core X or is there something I should keep in mind during setting it up. I want to avoid overheating the card and maybe I'm missing something right now. So, I would really appreciate it if you have more insights on that for me.

Thank you,

Cebro

2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
James Knight
(@james_knight)
Eminent Member

@cebro

I personally think there will be no problem. I've seen some members showcasing the 3080 and the 3070 is a standard 2 slot card with a power draw no more than a 2080 ti of which I know works in a Razer Core X.

Congratulations on securing the 3070. I also managed it after a tearingly long 43min transaction process.

So I plan to upgrade my build when it arrives.

Good luck on the build and do share as I expect others will want to know of your success.

Setup: Dell Latitude 7400 | i7-8665U | 32GB DDR4 | M2.sata 512GB |
iGPU: UHD 620 | eGPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | Asus XG Station Pro | Thunderbolt 3 (15D9) : NVM 44.00

ReplyQuote
Cebro
(@cebro)

Thank you, James! And congratulations to you as well for securing a 3070! Yes, it was the same for me. Over an hour refreshing the site, hoping to manage the transaction before the site crashes again. 

And thanks for your feedback! The card will probably be delivered this weekend. I'll share some insights then as soon as I've tried it out.

2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

I'm sure you'll be fine. I managed to get a Zotac 3070 this morning after a wait in line of about 20 minutes. Not my preferred brand, but c'est la vie. I'm not blown away but it does way better in Destiny 2 than a 5700XT.

Very CPU bound as well. I think that is one of the things that holds eGPUs back is that the low power CPUs can't feed them quickly enough.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Cebro
(@cebro)

@lwf

Congrats on securing a Zotac! Are low power CPUs more an issue if you're planning on gaming in 1080p or does that also apply on 1440p and 4k? Because I heard that the performance loss is less in higher resolutions because the CPU doesn't need to work as heavy as in lower resolutions with higher fps rates.

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

Yes part of the reason the loss is less at higher resolutions is that less frames means less work for the CPU. But there are also other things that games ask the CPU to do and I think that causes slowdowns as well. During a benchmark like valley the CPU doesn't have to do very much but in a game it's a bit of a different story.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Cebro
(@cebro)

Hi guys,

so my GPU came today and everything works fine with my MacBook Pro! The whole setup was pretty much plug and play. All I needed to do was connecting the eGPU to my MacBook and download the latest Nvidia drivers - that's it!

I connected the GPU to my 4k TV to test it out with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Frame rates were smooth pretty much all the time with an average of 60 fps on 4k with ultra settings. I know that this game is not a new 2020 title, but I'm still impressed with these first results. Will do some more testing this weekend and will share a more detailed build then. But for now I can say that I didn't run into any issues at all and the setup is working great so far.

Cheers, Cebro

ReplyQuote
rationsauce
(@rationsauce)

@cebro, can't wait to see your results. Would it be too much to ask if you test out your games for 1080p, 1440p, and 4K? And what CPU are you on with the Macbook Pro yo? Cheers!

PS: for anyone who's curious, here are some early results for TB4 vs TB3 performances (not my video).

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

2017 15" Spectre X360 (i7-8550u, MX150, 16GB, 4K). Still waiting on the new-gen GPUs and eGPUs to come out before jumping the gun.

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

@rationsauce, interesting video, it wasn't clear to me whether he was saying there is much difference between Ice Lake and Tiger Lake in gaming.

ReplyQuote
rationsauce
(@rationsauce)

@lwf, yeah for some reason in the video he wasn't as clear-cut from the get go, but he did mention there are definite performance gains with TB4 laptops (Tiger Lake). Mind you this is a TB4 laptop connected to older TB3-specific eGPUs. Apparently the performance gain has something to do with TB4 bypassing the need for a 'Thunderbolt controller', which is a necessary part in TB3-specific eGPUs (I'm only quoting from the video). I'm curious to see in the near future if there might be potential for new TB4-specific eGPUs that can lessen the bandwidth bottleneck even further. Sigh more waiting I suppose..

2017 15" Spectre X360 (i7-8550u, MX150, 16GB, 4K). Still waiting on the new-gen GPUs and eGPUs to come out before jumping the gun.

ReplyQuote
 of  3