Notifications
Clear all

RTX 3070 Founders Edition paired with Razer Core X  

of  3
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rationsauce, A Thunderbolt 4 laptop connecting to a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure is still a Thunderbolt 3 connection. Every Thunderbolt device needs at least one Thunderbolt controller. The significant change in Ice Lake & Tiger Lake U-CPU laptops (compared to older iterations) is the truncated routing from the Thunderbolt port to the processor. Due to the integrated Thunderbolt controller (iTBT) there's no longer a need to have a separate dedicated Thunderbolt controller (dTBT). Instead of going through the PCH, the Thunderbolt port goes directly to the processor.

H-CPU laptops have more PCIe lanes and the manufacturers can opt to either connect the dTBT directly to the processor or going through the PCH. All but Alienware & Apple go with the latter option and the Thunderbolt performance on those laptops are not the best even if the CPUs are more powerful (compared to U-CPU).

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rationsauce
(@rationsauce)

@itsage, ahh super interesting, cheers for the breakdown of the chain.

I would assume then in that video the 11th-gen U-CPU (with iTBT) has garnered better performance than the 10th-gen U-CPU (with dTBT). Can't wait to see more results of the many combinations between U-CPUs and H-CPUs, and their iTBT and dTBT variations. 

Does that also mean that I was mistaken to think that there would potentially be TB4-specific eGPUs in the future? Since the main difference between TB4 and TB3 is just that U-CPUs now have the option to install iTBTs?

This topic perhaps needs its own thread..

2017 15" Spectre X360 [i7-8550u, MX150, 16GB, 4K]. Still waiting on the new-gen GPUs and eGPUs to come out before jumping the gun.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rationsauce, The Razer Blade Advanced is an H-CPU system with the Thunderbolt 3 port going through dTBT > PCH > CPU. It's not an optimized routing of Thunderbolt connection. If it was a Razer Blade Stealth with Ice Lake (10th gen U-CPU) the performance would be very similar.

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Cebro
(@cebro)

@itsage, that's super useful information, thank you for clearing up the different configurations on how notebook manufacturers can build their Thunderbolt chains!

So, I have the Intel i9-9980HK in my MacBook Pro. If I understood you correctly, the routing in my notebook goes like that: Thunderbolt Port > dTBT > CPU. So, this is an advantage compared to Thunderbolt Port > dTBT > PCH > CPU.

But is the Thunderbolt Port > dTBT > CPU routing with my H-CPU still slower than the routing with U-CPUs that go from Thunderbolt Port > CPU? And if yes, is there a big difference?

2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@cebro, If cooling was equally effective on both systems, the more powerful CPU would produce better eGPU performance.

ReplyQuote
Cebro
(@cebro)

@itsage, that's great to hear! And thank you for your help. Very much appreciated, especially for people like me who just started out in the eGPU world.

2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Cebro
(@cebro)

@rationsauce, regarding my coming build: I will test out a few games in different resolutions (1080p, 1440p and 4k). Just keep looking at my profile, I will try to get everything done this weekend.

ReplyQuote
rationsauce
(@rationsauce)

@cebro, my man! Cheers for looking out after us upcoming-newcomers. Looking forward to your results  🙂 

2017 15" Spectre X360 [i7-8550u, MX150, 16GB, 4K]. Still waiting on the new-gen GPUs and eGPUs to come out before jumping the gun.

ReplyQuote
Cebro
(@cebro)

@rationsauce, wanted to let you know that I just posted my build. Feel free to share your thoughts on it!

ReplyQuote
mrksulli
(@mrksulli)

I know this thread is about the Razer Core X but I have the older Razer Core with a GTX 1070 in it. I know Razer has documented support for the RTX 20 series of video cards but nothing has been said about the RTX 30 series. Does anyone know  if the older Razer Core would be able to run an RTX3070 for example?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  3