RTX 3070 + Razer Core X (Thunderbolt 3) = Bottleneck ?

Notifications
Clear all

RTX 3070 + Razer Core X (Thunderbolt 3) = Bottleneck ?  

RSS

Bloodstainer
(@bloodstainer)
Eminent Member

Hello,

I wanted to buy a next-gen graphics card soon (presumably RTX 3070 when it is available again) to use with my Razer Core X, but after some research some comments made me doubt it.

The comments :

- Judging from how the eGPU performance offset due to Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth, more powerful GPU means more power unable to utilized by Thunderbolt.

- I agree with this statement. The cost-performance ratio is really bad for highend cards. Stick with higher midclass. It does not make sense to pay double to triple the price just to get 10% more fps.

- yea,it's crazy with generation how bad the thunderbolt is bottlenecking the whole system. I wanted to take a 3090 for myself (with a Core V1) but clearly not anymore. Wondering if it's possible to do some compression tho.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/istgct/upgrade_my_razer_core_x_to_rtx3080_or_3070/

I would like to have your opinion.

Thanks.

Config: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017). eGPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (with a Razer Core X enclosure)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@bloodstainer, When I was in high school, Fast & Furious came out and all the kids my age spent every dollar we had on shitty mods to make our cars look faster. When I got a full-time job I was able to afford more appropriate performance mods. I soon realized the car was faster but it's still the exact same car to everyone else. Ultimately you get to decide what is worth doing and others' opinions don't matter. The chase for better performance doesn't have an end. You decide when and where to stop.

I'm more grown up now and approach car mods with a better plan. The starting platform has to be strong enough to accommodate higher performing components I would eventually add to it. All that to say eGPU performance has a lot to do with the computer you attach the external components. If it's a 2017 iMac 4K in your signature and you plan on using an external 4K monitor with the RTX 3070, the gain will be substantial over the RTX 2060.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Bloodstainer
(@bloodstainer)
Eminent Member

@itsage, thanks for your answer.

In fact the comments I quoted talked about a bottleneck about the "Thunderbolt 3" bandwidth with RTX3070. I agree the performance depends on the base materiel but that was not my concern (I plan to upgrade my Mac too).

So the people that I quoted say that the bandwidth of TB3 is a bottleneck for the news RTX3XX. That's why I would like to have the opinion of technical experts of this forum (like you).

(Sorry for my English, I'm French).

Thanks.

This post was modified 6 months ago

Config: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017). eGPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (with a Razer Core X enclosure)

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@bloodstainer

Reddit? Lololol...

Why not look at some actual RTX 3070 eGPU performance metrics? 

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-13-dell-xps-13-9370-8th4cu-rtx-3070-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-win10/#post-93022

Unigine Superposition at 4K DirectX

My old RX 5700 XT eGPU: 47 FPS average

@angelos_pikoulas ‘s RTX 3070 eGPU: 78 FPS average

Increase in performance with the RTX 3070: 79%

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RX 5500 XT (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.5 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Bloodstainer
(@bloodstainer)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5, Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate. (I will check your link).

This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@bloodstainer

Cool. There’s also another good 3070 eGPU build with gaming benchmarks here:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-15-macbook-pro-i9-9980hk-radeon-pro-560x-16gb-rtx-3070-fe-40gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-win10-cebro/

Another comp, this time with my current Vega 56 eGPU:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 4K (without DLSS or Raytracing)

My AMD Vega 56 eGPU: 32 FPS average

@Cebro ‘s  RTX 3070 eGPU: 52 FPS average

Increase in performance with the RTX 3070 : 62%

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RX 5500 XT (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.5 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
arc_x
(@arc_x)

I think there is another thing you should consider. What kind of performance improvement are you trying to achieve?

If the main purpose is gaming, I think that the main factor is the target fps you are trying to reach.

Let's say you already reach between 30 and 50 fps in a given game with your current card and the gpu is the main limiting factor. You will probably see a pretty good improvement as others already stated.

But let's consider the case in which you are already reaching something like 100 fps. Then the improvement you will see will probably be much smaller, because at high fps the latency becomes a significant limiting factor.

I'm kinda new to this stuff, so if I said something wrong someone please correct me.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote