RX 5700 XT crackling noise (both Gigabyte and ROG cards) after upgrade to Big Su...

Notifications
Clear all

RX 5700 XT crackling noise (both Gigabyte and ROG cards) after upgrade to Big Sur  

RSS

timcaffrey
(@timcaffrey)

Hi all,

I have a Razer Core X coupled with an RX 5700 XT (Gigabyte) running off a MBP 13" 2016. After upgrading to Mac OS Big Sur I noticed a crackling noise coming from the GPU every time a minor action is performed (opening chrome for example). Then it stops. Once I start running something that requires constant effort (e.g. playing a YT video), the rattling becomes constant. Once the YT video is stopped, the crackling stops.

This is definitely not fan noise (fans are not running mostly), or the power supply: I can clearly hear it coming from the GPU, and with the GPU is removed the power supply runs without any odd noise.

Good thing is I have a second RX 5700 XT laying around (ROG), and this card has the SAME issue, which makes me believe this is a software issue (see also this topic I found, which seems to have a similar issue - driver related).

Has anybody else experienced this after the upgrade to Big Sur?

Many thanks,

Tim

2016 13" Macbook Pro Touchbar (6th, 2C, U) + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + MacOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th, 2C, U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote