Notifications
Clear all

RX 580 External GPU Review - AMD XConnect and FreeSync  

of  4
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

What macOS and FCPX versions are you running? I'm on 10.12.5 and 10.3.3. All seems to function.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Rob-ART
 Rob-ART
(@Rob-ART)

Did you try the RX 580 in the Mac Pro tower?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Yes. It works similar to the way RX 480 has been working in 10.12. 10.13 Beta and 10.12.6 Beta 3 actually have dedicated drivers for these GPUs now and work right out the box. No longer a need for kext edits.

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Here it is working Radeon RX 580, macOS 10.13beta and last FCP version 10.3.4

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Let’s hope FreeSync comes to macOS too

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member

Hi ITSage,

Just getting around to setting up my MacPro 2013 (Dual D300's) with the Mantiz/1080ti. Looks like this will be a lot more straightforward than it is on TB2 MacBooks (thanks to lack of internal display for one).

I am curious. You mention only running a max of 2x display devices from the DP (TB2) ports when also using HDMI. By this do you mean two distinct monitors or two distinct eGPUs (which can of course have multiple displays attached)?

My MSI 1080Ti has Dual DP ports and Dual HDMI 2.0 ports; seems to be commonplace on the 1080TI now HDMI 2.0 is here. As such I assume it would be best to run all three of my 28" displays form the MSI (2x DP, 1x HDMI) and not consider using any of the Mac's built-in Display Ports / HDMI?

This said, won't overall redraw rates be affected by the (relative) lower performance of the HDMI connected monitor over the 2x Display Port monitors? I am interested to know how this manifests in gaming for example - will all the displays effectively run @ 60Hz (or the lowest sync rate)?

Sorry for the luddite questions - I'm just getting my ancient head around all of this!!!

Hypernurd

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@Hypernurd There are 3x Thunderbolt Buses in the nMP. Each handles 2x Thunderbolt 2 ports. Thunderbolt Bus 0 also handles the HDMI port as illustrated in this image. A display device can be considered either a monitor or eGPU. My recommendation is to use the HDMI connection for one of the 3x monitors so that you have the boot screen. The other 2x monitors can connect to the eGPU.

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member

Cool. I'll give that a go!

Thanks

Hypernurd

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member

Hey @theITsage,

I've been continuing my testing and set-up with the MacPro and have run into some difficulties. Essentially, after running automate-ePGU (with and without the -a argument) the MacPro is not powering the two ePGU attached displays. The MacPro connected HDMI display is working fine (i.e. the boot screen as advised by you). The Mantiz is seen on the TB0 bus (its plugged into Port 5 or 6 on the MacPro), the Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti is recognised and correctly labelled in System Report (along with the 2x Firepro D300's) and the host does not hang on reboot - i.e. I get the full boot process. The Nvidia web drivers are enabled in System Prefs (NVidia Driver Manager) and they are selected for use.
I have also tried Rastafabi's software (having de-installed Goalque's) and I get similar symptoms. Everything is recognised but no screen output on the eGPU displays. I have since removed Rastafabi's and reinstalled Goalque's with the -a argument to enable survival of the boot (even though this theoretically is not needed on pre-2014 hardware).

Any ideas as to what I can try now. Looking at the forums I may well be the only user attempting a 1080TI install on a MacPro so this is definitely 'bleeding edge' Smile

Best wishes,

Hypernurd

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@Hypernurd I've only seen a handful of nMP with GTX 1080 Ti eGPU so there are plenty of unknowns. Seeing full name of the GPU in System Information is a good start. The issue you're experiencing is most likely due to each Thunderbolt Bus can only handle upto two display devices. Port 5 and 6 are more eGPU-friendly because they don't cause boot hang.

It's best not to have any other peripherals connected to the nMP and Mantiz Venus until you sort this out. You can try other Thunderbolt ports by using a boot delay (count to 3 after the boot chime finishes then connect eGPU). This may only be relevant for AMD eGPU though.

My second recommendation is to connect only one display to the eGPU at boot (besides the one through HDMI port). If this works, you can introduce the second display to eGPU after the first one has output. 

I have not tried triple displays yet to confirm. What I've done with my nMP is to use one 34" ultrawide monitor that receives two inputs: one from the nMP HDMI and the other from the eGPU DisplayPort. Therefore, I know eGPU can provide display output with the nMP.

@Hypernurd we can continue the discussion at my multiple monitor eGPU with nMP implementation.

ReplyQuote
 of  4