Clear all

RX 580 External GPU Review - AMD XConnect and FreeSync  

of  4
  RSS

screendor
(@screendor)
Trusted Member

Thanks for so much great info.  

New to the forum but looking to get another year or two of life out of my 2013 nMP, which is used primarily for editing with FCPX.  I see you like the 580 cards--is there a particular model?  Also: do you have a preference on eGPU boxes?  And lastly, if cost wasn't an issue, what card would you recommend for FCPX/eGPU config?

Thank you!!!

2017 iMac 5K 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 40 GB 2400 MHz
Internal AMD 580 Pro 8GB; Akitio Node Pro + AMD Radeon VII

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@screendor, welcome aboard! If you can wait until the end of the year when the iMac Pro is available, the RX Vega cards will be the best graphics card to use for FCPX. ATM, RX 580 is still the best value for FCPX and eGPU. Go with an eGPU enclosure that has a 550W PSU, that way you can use RX Vega cards in the future if you decide to do so.  https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2017/

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
screendor
(@screendor)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the tip.  As I understand it, the Vega cards will be IN the new iMac Pro--and yes, a nice new machine would solve my issues but be a big capital expense (although dang, I wish I new the specs and costs of  the 2018 Mac Pro).

So to clarify: the Vega cards will be avail as a separate purchase as well when iMac Pro launches.  Pop one in my eGPU and my 2013 nMP will have a new lease on life for FCPX...yes?  But with TB3, I could potentially also use them down the line when I purchase either a new iMac Pro or Mac Pro.

Also, it appears that at present, only Sonnet and Mantiz sport the 550w PSU, which limits my options to two--but that's good since it's all terra nova.

And sorry for the noob question, but if I get a TB3 eGPU (likely the Sonnet with 550w),  it seems like it is backwards compatible with my TB2 2013 nMP, yes?

Thank you thank you thank you!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Off-the-shelf RX Vega 56 will work in a TB3 eGPU enclosure once the iMac Pro is released. You can buy the hardware pieces. It's only a matter of waiting for drivers to mature in macOS 10.13. While Apple states it supports eGPU for Thunderbolt 3 Macs only many of us have been using TB3 enclosures with older Macs. As you might have seen in this review, I used the Sonnet Breakaway 350 + RX 580 with my nMP just fine. The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter is the additional component to connect the nMP's Thunderbolt 2 port to the Sonnet Breakaway TB3 port.

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
screendor
(@screendor)
Trusted Member

Thanks again for the additional info.  Any problem driving 2 monitors in conventional FCPX config?  As well, I currently have an additional HDMI monitor for client viewing playing--so that's a total of 3 monitors.  Copasetic with eGPU TB3 on TB2 nMP with TB adapter?

BTW, your site is fantastic!

ReplyQuote
Coded Games
(@coded-games)

Hello,

Today I got a Sonnet Breakaway 550 with a Vega 56 for my 2013 Mac Pro and have had fairly mixed results and wondered if you know any ways to fix them. I'm running MacOS 10.13.4, used the script to get this to work (which worked perfectly) and have 1 4k monitor hooked up to it.

So far I've seen significant improvements in Unigen Heaven and Rocket League but have noticed other things like Fortnite and Unity get worse results. If I make Fortnite fullscreen I get around 20-30 FPS and for some reason Unity now has a fairly significant input delay. Do you have any idea what could be causing these problems?

Along with that, have you been able to get an eGPU to work in Windows 10 with Bootcamp? I boot into it and the eGPU is simply not showing up in device manager.

Any help would be really appreciated.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Is the 4K monitor connected through eGPU set as the primary display? For eGPU in Windows Bootcamp, follow this setup guide.

ReplyQuote
Coded Games
(@coded-games)

The monitor was not. I change it to primary display and it fixed the input delay and low FPS in Fortnite. Was getting consistent 30+ FPS playing at Ultra 1080p so that's pretty great. Although, at one point the monitor went black and my entire computer froze. Restarted and haven't had that happen since.

I saw that setup guide earlier and was worried it wouldn't work since it is focused entirely on Thunderbolt 3 MacBooks, do you think it would still work for a 2013 Mac Pro with Thunderbolt 2?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Sorry I misread your post about having the nMP trashcan. There's no workaround for it in Bootcamp. The only possibility is using a modified EFI GPU. Netkas & Macvideocard offer this service for $200.

ReplyQuote
LongEz
(@longez)

It is interesting that the Unigine Valley and Geekbench performance with this TB2 to RX580 seems to be roughly similar to the (few) build reports of TB1 to RX580, and even a few of the TB3 to RX580 reports.  

I understand the idea of loading up the video memory with data and then the processor can issue a relatively slow stream of graphic processor instructions to transform the video memory data for display.  That is why I am hoping my x-plane flight simulation will see a 10 fold increase in frame rate even across the TB1 port to the RX580, compared with my current Mac Mini i7-3720QM, Intel 4000 (Valley High 2560 x 1080 Vsync is 4.8 fps). 

My other "heavy" video usage will be for viewing UltraHD (3840 x 2160) 30 fps 100Mbps MP4 video from my Panasonic G7 camera, which also shouldn't tax the 10Gbps TB1 channel, even if the real throughput is 10% of the theoretical.  Proving this will have to wait for a 4k UHD monitor..

The more I read here, the more excited I get to join you rogue "computer recyclers."

2018 Mac Mini, Radeon RX 580 8GB in Sonnet Breakaway Box 350, LG 25” 21:9 and Dell P2415Q 4K monitors (both on eGPU)

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  4