Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 GPU bur...

Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 GPU burn. Looking for upgrade/repair suggestion  

Page 1 / 2

strikerlie
(@strikerlie)

I bought an Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck Radeon RX 570 last year April. But unlucky it spark and smoke at this week. 
Already find Sonnet Support but they request $200USD for checking and repair fee due to it already out of 
warranty.  And the transition fee need to pay by myself.
Therefore, I open the eGPU e
nclosure and it seems only burn the MXM RX570. The enclosure looks good and without damage.

So I would like to buy an new MXM GPU to replace it. But I didn't find any report about replacing the MXM GPU in Sonnet Breakaway Puck. On the other hand, seems no MXM type RX570 selling. But I find there has an Dell WX7100 MXM card for sell and the circuit board layout are the same.
So anyone tried to replace the MXM type eGPU card?
Is it worth for me to try the dell one?

Thanks!
5 Replies
theitsage
Admin
(@itsage)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear about your Breakaway Puck 570. I found a photo of my Puck 560 fully dissembled. The WX 7100 MXM looks to be a direct swap.

strikerlie
(@strikerlie)

Just receive the Dell WX7100 and replace the RX570 in the box, and it works great but need to have some modification.
Maybe I will create a post related to the upgrade later.

theitsage
Admin
(@itsage)
Famed Member

That's great to hear! We'd love to see your modification to fit the WX 7100 MXM in the Breakaway Puck.

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@strikerlie Please post anything about this mod! This is most utterly interesting!

Page 1 / 2