Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
[Unboxing] AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 Graphics Card

[Unboxing] AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 Graphics Card  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Jul 3, 2018 2:19 pm  

One of the officially support graphics cards in macOS is the Radeon Pro WX 9100. This is a workstation card geared specifically to professional workflows. ECC memory is crucial to those working on high value data. Apple included this GPU in its supported list may indicate the new Mac Pro will have a proper workstation GPU unlike the iMac Pro. In the mean time, Mac Pro users can use this graphics card, internally with the tower and externally with the trashcan.

The retail package is heavier than most graphics card packages I handled. Besides the GPU, there are plenty of accessories inside. The six mini-DisplayPort 1.4 ports have six accompained adapters. One is HDMI for VR headset, one is DVI, and four are DisplayPort. There's also a metal anti-sag bracket for the GPU.

The Radeon Pro WX 9100 is very solid but not as heavy as I anticipated. Here's the front and back view of the GPU.

The top side of the graphics card has two unusual connectors. The white one is to connect to a PCI slot bracket that has an S-video looking port. I'm unsure what the black connector does.

Apple and AMD recommend pairing the WX 9100 with an eGPU enclosure that has a 650W PSU such as the Sonnet Breakaway 650. My Sonnet Breakaway Box has the 350W PSU so I'm swapping that for the Enermax Revolution 650W. Thanks to @mac_editor's purge-wrangler script, I can use the WX 9100 externally with the 2013 Mac Pro. As seen in the screen caps, this script remains working in Mojave.

I ran some quick benchmarks in Luxmark and Geekbench. My plan is to test this eGPU setup with pro applications in macOS using the Mac Pro tower, Mac Pro trashcan, and 2016 15" MacBook Pro. If you have any recommendations or apps you'd like to see results with this card, please let me know.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

joysthokkins, mac_editor, Yukikaze and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
Jul 3, 2018 3:20 pm  

@itsage sweet looking setup, that picture. Have the same monitor (x2) and keyboard - and performance seems pretty decent. Some apps I'd love to see:

• Final Cut Pro 10.3.4 BruceX
  • Final Cut Pro 10.4.3 BruceX w/ set-eGPU if needed
  • DaVinci Resolve
  • Unigine Valley scores

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sabharwal
(@sabharwal)
Oct 2, 2018 8:53 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

One of the officially support graphics cards in macOS is the Radeon Pro WX 9100. This is a workstation card geared specifically to professional workflows. ECC memory is crucial to those working on high value data. Apple included this GPU in its supported list may indicate the new Mac Pro will have a proper workstation GPU unlike the iMac Pro. In the mean time, Mac Pro users can use this graphics card, internally with the tower and externally with the trashcan.

The retail package is heavier than most graphics card packages I handled. Besides the GPU, there are plenty of accessories inside. The six mini-DisplayPort 1.4 ports have six accompained adapters. One is HDMI for VR headset, one is DVI, and four are DisplayPort. There's also a metal anti-sag bracket for the GPU.

The Radeon Pro WX 9100 is very solid but not as heavy as I anticipated. Here's the front and back view of the GPU.

The top side of the graphics card has two unusual connectors. The white one is to connect to a PCI slot bracket that has an S-video looking port. I'm unsure what the black connector does.

Apple and AMD recommend pairing the WX 9100 with an eGPU enclosure that has a 650W PSU such as the Sonnet Breakaway 650. My Sonnet Breakaway Box has the 350W PSU so I'm swapping that for the Enermax Revolution 650W. Thanks to @mac_editor's purge-wrangler script, I can use the WX 9100 externally with the 2013 Mac Pro. As seen in the screen caps, this script remains working in Mojave.

I ran some quick benchmarks in Luxmark and Geekbench. My plan is to test this eGPU setup with pro applications in macOS using the Mac Pro tower, Mac Pro trashcan, and 2016 15" MacBook Pro. If you have any recommendations or apps you'd like to see results with this card, please let me know.

do you think the w9100 will also be supported similarly ?

Mac Pro 2013 - D700 - Sonnet Echo III TB2 - AMD W9100 - OS 10.13.6 High Sierra
Macbook pro late 2013 - GT750M - Sonnet Echo III TB2 - AMD W9100 - OS 10.11.6 El Captain

ReplyQuote
PowerMike G5
(@powermike-g5)
Nov 16, 2018 4:57 pm  

Hi!  Do you have any updates on using this card with MacOS?

I'm trying to find more info on this, for use in a 5,1 Mac Pro tower.  Currently using a RX Vega 56 but am interested in the extra VRAM for 4K video editing with Premiere Pro, particularly to get the best real-time playback possible, especially when I start using multiple GPU-accelerated effects.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Nov 16, 2018 5:05 pm  

@powermike-g5 There are a few things to consider using this card in the Mac Pro tower. First task is to feed the card enough power. The PCIe slot and two booster PCIe power cables cannot handle this card. You'll either need an external power supply (placed in optical bay) or perform pixlas mod to get additional power from the stock PSU. The second issue is fan speed. Via an external enclosure, the fan curve works perfectly fine. However it's running at much higher RPM when install directly into the Mac Pro internal slot.

ReplyQuote
PowerMike G5
(@powermike-g5)
Nov 16, 2018 5:09 pm  

Thanks for the insight!  I currently am powering my RX Vega 56 with the internal 2 booster PCIe power ports to the 8-pin connector and 2 Sata power ports to the 6-pin connector, so I'm planning to power this card using the same method.  What kind of RPM speed is on the card?  Is there anything to control that at all?

Do you think there would be a noticeable speed difference moving up to this card, over the RX Vega 56?  I've noticed all 8GB VRAM is being used while video editing, so I'm interested in the extra performance and double the VRAM, particularly for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Pacinoho
(@pacinoho)
Dec 8, 2018 2:13 am  

In your opinion what is the advantage of getting the WX 9100 over the Vega 64 to use in Mac, other than the 16G ECC RAM? I started another thread to discuss it  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/amd-consumer-vs-workstation-gpu-in-mac-eg-vega-64-vs-wx9100

ReplyQuote
(@keith_sanborn)
Feb 15, 2019 3:48 am  

I just bought a Sonnet Breakaway box (650 watts) and a Radeon Pro wx 9100.

I have two dumbish but important questions:

1. Do I remove the plastic tape on the wx 9100? I would think so, but your pix above show the plastic tape (film?) still on the card.

2. How to I hook up the power supply to the card?

The card has two sets of power inputs: an 8 and a 6. The Breakaway box has two sets of connectors of 6+2 plugs. I can tell by where the retainer clips go how to do the 8 input one, but on the 6-input cluster do I just use the 6 plug and let the 2 dangle?

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member
Feb 15, 2019 3:55 am  

1. up to your preference 2. yes let extra +2 pin dangle

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@keith_sanborn)
Feb 15, 2019 4:08 am  

Thanks. I really appreciate it. I guess the film is there just to discourage disassembly of the card?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Feb 15, 2019 4:16 am  

@keith_sanborn I'd recommend taking the film off the card. I took photos of the brand new GPU so I didn't take it off yet. Handle it with care during installation inside the enclosure. The blue paint is similar to car paint. I managed to put a few chips on the edges.

ReplyQuote
(@keith_sanborn)
Feb 15, 2019 5:08 am  

Thanks! I will. So, it's really just there to protect the finish on the shiny card. I have never installed a graphics card since I work mostly on laptops, so I thought it could be there for some other purpose. I know graphics cards run reallllly hot, so that's why I was querying it. For all I know it could be some exotic heat absorbing material. But the silence on that by AMD is kind of frustrating.

Again thanks.

Keith

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
jmyAOC
(@jmyaoc)
Jun 10, 2019 3:24 pm  

Hello Keith Sanborn
i am about to buy a Sonnet enclosure to put a wx 9100 in it to boost up my 2016 MacBookPro.
A few months after, are you happy with it ? Did you hesitate between 9100 and 8200 ?
Now the Radeon VII is also a choice... did you (or somebody who is reading) had the occasion to test/compare ?
For an Adobe Premiere and VR stitching software (Mistika) use.

Thanx

ReplyQuote