Would it work ? APPLE LED CINEMA DISPLAY 27 with Mini DisplayPort + MacbookPro 2...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Would it work ? APPLE LED CINEMA DISPLAY 27 with Mini DisplayPort + MacbookPro 2018 Touchbar + Razer Core X + RX 850  

RSS

Elias Jessen
(@elias-jessen)

Hey guys im am currently exploring my possibility for a future Setup. I currently own a MacbookPro 2018 and the old LED Cinema Display 27 from apple (not the thunderbolt 2 Version). Would i be able to build a nice setup with this + the Razer Core X and the RX 850 as an GPU?

I was Thinking that with an mini displayport to hdmi adapter it should work. But i am quit new to this and dont want to make stupid mistakes in the process.

I am thankful for any input i can get to this topic 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Yes, running a mDP display out of an eGPU is easy. Most GPUs nowdays have a DisplayPort output. All you need is a DP to mDP cable.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Elias Jessen
(@elias-jessen)

@yukikaze

Thank you for the fast  and helpful response !

Do you think my planned setup is a good idea or am i missing something in my  thought process? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Your setup is sound. You might want to look for a more powerful card than the RX580 for 2560x1600, but that really depends on what you plan to use it for. For lighter games, this would be excellent and the setup should be plug and play in OS X.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Miguel Ange
(@miguel-ange)

@elias-jessen

Hi.

I have the same Led Cinema display as well.

I have a RX580 in my Mac Pro. This card can drive 4k Displays, so no issue with the 2k screen from Apple. But you need to get a DP to Mini DP adaptator which provides a passive conversion. HDMI to DP (or mini DP) does not work unless having an adaptator with external power supply (usually using an USB port). So, usually HDMI output with Led Display is not successful.

With my mini i7 2018, I have a Razer Core and a Vega 64 plugged into. I also connected the Apple Display to the Vega 64 through the DP port (using a mini Dp) and it works fine.

Please note, if you want to use the external screen as your main one and be able to get the login screen, you shall be under Catalina. Bridge OS (inside T2 chip) has been upgraded with Catalina which allows boot screen to be operational with external display on eGPU.

Once your T2 chip OS has been updated (process automatic while upgrading to Catalina), if you will run Mojave in double boot, boot screen also works. But before doing the upgrade, under Mojave external screen will come to life after the login screen...

Mac Mini i7 2018
Razer Core X
Nitro Vega 64

ReplyQuote