2016 MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar + Radeon RX 580@32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.13 [ikir]  

RSS

ikir
 ikir
Honorable Member
August 10, 2017 1:59 am  

Hi all! After many software and hardware hacks, it is time to go the easy route: Mantiz Venus, with macOS 10.13 High Sierra with native supported Radeon RX 580.

In these pages I will publish some benchmark and numbers, but as usually the installation process:

1) Insert Radeon RX 580 inside Mantiz Venus (video step by step)

2) Plug Thunderbolt 3 cable in your Mac and we are done!!!! (for now you need a logout too)

Mantiz Venus is the definitive docking station, I have iPhone dock, audio, mouse always plugged, with a single cable I also power my Mac. It is a dream come true.

Iris 550 vs Radeon RX 580 – OpenGL, Metal, OpenCL:

How to install Radeon RX 580 inside Mantiz Venus:

Once Mac OS10.13 is officially out, without beta bottleneck, I will publish some interesting Feral games benchmark like Dawn of War III

Edited: 1 month  ago

eGPU.it | LG 29" curved ultrawide display
MacBook Pro 2016 touchbar i7 3.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD + Mantiz Venus with AMD Radeon RX 580

mac_editor and Michael liked
ReplyQuote
Michael
August 10, 2017 4:02 pm  

@ ikir

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am new to eGPUs thus pardon my ignorance. Would you know if  I can use an AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition card instead of AMD Radeon RX 580 in the Mantiz Venus without Boot Camp? I have a MacBook Pro & intend to use the eGPU for a deep learning project.

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
kotlos
Trusted Member
August 10, 2017 4:22 pm  
Posted by: Michael

@ ikir

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am new to eGPUs thus pardon my ignorance. Would you know if  I can use an AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition card instead of AMD Radeon RX 580 in the Mantiz Venus without Boot Camp? I have a MacBook Pro & intend to use the eGPU for a deep learning project.

Most libraries for deep learning are optimized for CUDA so unless you have something that you know it works well with OpenCL or you are interested in developing libraries, I would avoid any AMDs for deep learning. Maybe in the future things will change but my guess is not very soon. Also the mac drivers for Vega are not optimized yet, not to mention the bandwidth limitations of any eGPU solution to deep learning 🙁  

My advise would be a GTX 1060 and Sierra… 

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
Honorable Member
August 11, 2017 8:22 am  

@ ikir

Hi! kit low have some point here, many software still works only with CUDA, but OpenCL software is increasing, so I really hope this is a temporary issue now. High Sierra is still not released, but even now in beta it has working but glitched Vega drivers, I think it will become stable in the next updates until final release in September or October. I would choose Radeon over Nvidia, I have very bad experience with Nvidia support, driver and stability. I sell my GTX 1070 to buy a Radeon RX580 which is inferior, but macOS support is awesome, also metal drivers are super fast for gaming. Playing Obduction in Epic and Dawn Of WAR III everything to max 60FPS in 2k ultrawide. Vega is still too new, so I suggest you to wait, juts buy a RX 580 or a GTX 1060 for now, then upgrade to Vega.

eGPU.it | LG 29" curved ultrawide display
MacBook Pro 2016 touchbar i7 3.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD + Mantiz Venus with AMD Radeon RX 580

ReplyQuote
Michael
August 11, 2017 9:09 am  

Thank so much @kotlos for your advice. I got carried away by the hype on Apple supporting AMD. I will get GTX 1080Ti and the Mantiz Venus node. Kind regards

ReplyQuote
Michael
August 11, 2017 11:52 am  
Posted by: ikir

@ ikir

Hi! kit low have some point here, many software still works only with CUDA, but OpenCL software is increasing, so I really hope this is a temporary issue now. High Sierra is still not released, but even now in beta it has working but glitched Vega drivers, I think it will become stable in the next updates until final release in September or October. I would choose Radeon over Nvidia, I have very bad experience with Nvidia support, driver and stability. I sell my GTX 1070 to buy a Radeon RX580 which is inferior, but macOS support is awesome, also metal drivers are super fast for gaming. Playing Obduction in Epic and Dawn Of WAR III everything to max 60FPS in 2k ultrawide. Vega is still too new, so I suggest you to wait, juts buy a RX 580 or a GTX 1060 for now, then upgrade to Vega.

Thanks @ ikir for your advice and I also appreciate response by @kotlos. Honestly I am torn between the two responses whether to go AMD or Nvidia way.  However from your experience with Nvidia’s GTX 1070,  the drivers and support, I think I will wait and see how things unfold.  Maybe macOS support will be extended to AMD vega. Meanwhile I will continue using Amazon AWS instances.

Again thanks to both of you.

ikir liked
ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register