2017 14" Lenovo X1 Yoga + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro [Azrael]^  

Azrael
(@azrael)
July 31, 2017 8:14 pm  

Received my Aorus Gaming Box four days ago and it works fine with my ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2017 i7-7600U.

It allows a true one cable docking station. The 0.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable is shorter than I expected, though (but I got it all worked out in a nice setup, where the box is under my desk).

I have some concerns about the noise, though:

• The ThinkPad is “dead” silent most of the time. Nice
  • The GPU fans only spin up under heavy load. Nice
  • The PSU fans are always spinning, while the laptop is connected. They are not very loud, but there is a permanent noise source. You don’t hear it when you listen to music or if the window is open and there is noise from the street – but in a silent room you hear it constantly.

I’m not sure yet if I would recommend it… the performance is great, the convenience as a docking station is great, the form factor is great… but the noise might kill it for some people. I might try to get used to it, or wait and see if someone comes up with a modding solution…

The only other issue: I did not manage to control (or just disable) the LEDs of the Gaming Box. I installed the “Aorus Graphics Engine”. I saw a screenshot of the software somewhere online, where there was an “RGB” button in the lower right corner of the interface. But that button is not present in my version (in the corner, there is only “Monitoring” and “Fan Stop/Active”) LEDs can be controlled with the correct version of the Aorus Graphics Engine: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#support-dl

If there are any questions, feel free to ask 🙂

Edit: Just for fun I ran the “SteamVR Performance Test” tool, and those are the results for internal and external display. Interestingly enough, running on the internal display has less framerate drops. But I guess I would need a couple of repetitions of those tests to get reliable results. Plus they are not very precise anyway… (And it lists the HD Grafics 620 as GPU^^)

SteamVR Performance Test Result Internal Display
SteamVR Performance Test Result External Display

Edited: 6 months  ago

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
jdb999
(@jdb999)
August 14, 2017 3:32 am  

i just tried to get a akitio node box with an asus gtx 1080 working on my 2017 x1 yoga (i7 7500u), with no luck.  the gpu never showed up, though a few times windows was trying to install a vga adapter.  

anyway, i’m going to return it, unless a miracle happens, and i’m tempted to try the aorus.

a few questions though:

– you have the standard thunderbolt controller firmware version of 15.00?

– did you have to disable thunderbolt security or make other bios changes?

– is stuttering at all of an issue?

– charging the yoga works?

– have you happened to try with a 2m active cable?

thanks, this is probably more questions than you were expecting.  🙂

jon

ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Eminent Member
August 14, 2017 5:59 am  

Have the exact same setup!

Can confirm all your findings as well. That’s one thing I hated about the Bizon 400w power supply. It always ran a fan and needed to be unplugged for complete silence.

I freaking love gaming on the OLED!

Azrael liked
ReplyQuote
Azrael
(@azrael)
August 18, 2017 3:32 pm  
Posted by: jdb999

i just tried to get a akitio node box with an asus gtx 1080 working on my 2017 x1 yoga (i7 7500u), with no luck.  the gpu never showed up, though a few times windows was trying to install a vga adapter.  

anyway, i’m going to return it, unless a miracle happens, and i’m tempted to try the aorus.

a few questions though:

[…]

Hi there, sorry for taking so long for a reply:

you have the standard thunderbolt controller firmware version of 15.00?

• Thunderbolt Info

did you have to disable thunderbolt security or make other bios changes?

• No. I had to allow the device on the first connection (and chose “remember settings”).

is stuttering at all of an issue?

• I came from a ThinkPad X220 Tablet from 2011 and have been “playing” games on that, so I am used to (i guess) 20 fps and not sensitive to detecting stuttering. With that in mind, my answer is “no”

charging the yoga works?

• yes

have you happened to try with a 2m active cable?

• No. Luckily, my setup works with the original 0.5m cable

ReplyQuote
rmbath
(@rmbath)
August 23, 2017 12:40 pm  

I have got the same i7 x1 Yoga gen 2 but using an Asus ROG XG Station 2 with a GTX 1080.

Are you using the internal laptop monitor or an external screen? 

My laptop keeps trying to use the Intel 620 graphics and when I disable the Intel 620 it defaults to a generic driver rather then the eGPU.

Any one have any ideas on this?

ReplyQuote
stevenwang
(@stevenwang)
January 3, 2018 3:46 pm  

Anyone running VR with this setup? Really really want to know the performance 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register