2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 i7-8550U + Titan Xp@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [Nova Nerd #12345]^  

(@nova-nerd-12345)
November 26, 2017 10:24 pm  

I just picked one up this week, worst buy had a good config for $1450 and went with the sonnet 550W, wanted full charging (87W) and no other devices to eat up bandwidth. I have an “extra” Titan Xp (first one from last year) because SLI is dead so in it went. Overkill but why not 🙂

Literally all I did was plug it in with laptop already booted, approve enclosure in the thunderbolt program, install nvidia drivers, shutdown, boot. Lenovo puts some bloatware on their stuff but at least it was configured correctly out of the box.

Then it was on external monitor only and ran some benches to make sure it was working at x4.  This is my first run with no tweaks or bloatware uninstalled yet (mcafee can go to hell) it really was plug and play after drivers and reboot:

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2805477

3dmark scores seem right. After that, back to turkey leftovers 😉

Next up is figuring out how to keep the internal lcd on with dual screen (bios maybe? igpu completely gone from device manager if booting on dock) and maybe optimus-type mode but mostly going to game on external screen.

Another fun thing, the touchscreen & pen still work with the lcd/igpu disabled, which mostly makes sense as I’m sure they are separate usb HID devices but still neat.

I’m waiting for a usb-c dock with ethernet since wifi is trash for gaming and extra ports for kb/mouse/headset to show up on my doorstep. Intentionally not going with another TB3 dock to avoid eating bandwidth from the egpu. Plus they are all really expensive (apple-accessory-tax) as some cost more than the gpu docks! Never want to suffer relatives shitty computers or consoles ever again, with this I can hijack whatever spare screen and game for real.

Edited: 3 months  ago

Junstar and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
November 27, 2017 1:58 am  

@Nova Nerd,  would you mind adding some pics to your implementation guide to bring it all to life? Yours is the first implementation guide to use a Sonnet Breakaway 550 TB3 enclosure.

Lenovo system’s BIOS tends to use a detected eGPU as the primary display, disabling the iGPU and internal LCD along with it.

One technique that may prevent this is to disconnect the LCD from the eGPU. The other is to disconnect the TB3 cable to prevent the BIOS ever seeing it.

In any case, gaming to an external LCD with iGPU disabled may give  better GPU and CPU performing configuration. Why CPU? It’s because having the iGPU active requires some TDP. With the iGPU disabled, some more TDP is available for CPU turbo boost.

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
dani_tx
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member
November 27, 2017 5:41 pm  

@Nova to get some boost on external disp. you can also try ThrottleStop.Go to TPL and…(see the picture for the rest).Not recommended for internal though.It’s more or less a shortcut of what nando4 recommended.

TS

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register