2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [chaosmage]
Hello eGPU.io community!
Enough reading someones how to’s, comparing different enclosures, and tracking new products! Time to jump into the world of gaming on my Mac!
So, i received Aorus Gamin Box as a part of pre-order program introduced by Brian from Gigabyte.
Will not get into unboxing or tech specs, they are widely described by theitsage here.
Just a few pictures about the implementation process. Thats how it looked like when i unpacked the Aorus Gaming Box:
And that is 30 minutes later:
I was ready for 2-3 sleepless nights, browsing internet, struggling with the drivers and configurations, bat files and scripts. What did i get? Nothing.
Plugged it in, installed the drivers from Gigabyte web page, voila.
Will post some tests later on.
P.S. Ha ha, i’ve got what i was asking for. A couple hours later Windows has installed “something” and eGPU stopped working. Need to go through the steps itsage has provided.
The difference of 10S with Home/Pro – you can not run non Windows-store applications. So i could not install Bootcamp drivers and use that installation.
Windows installation on external SSD (most steps taken from Mgear1981):
In Mac OS:
- Run Boot Camp Assistant to put the Windows drivers onto a separate USB stick
- Download a Windows 10 x64 ISO or use any other Windows ISO (i took mine from MSDN).
- Transfer the ISO to your Windows installation.
In Windows (use a VMWare or VirtualBox):
- Install Windows ADK, uncheck all alternatives except “Deployment Tools”
- Double click the Windows ISO to mount it as a drive
- Plug in the external USB drive.
- Open command prompt and run the following:
Formatting the drive:
diskpart list disk select disk 1 (the id of your external drive) clean (warning: this will erase everything on the drive) convert gpt create partition efi size=200 format quick fs=fat32 assign letter=s create partition msr size=16 create partition primary format quick fs=ntfs assign letter=w exit
Apply the windows image to HDD/SSD via WinToUSB.
Plug the drive into your Mac and restart holding down the Option key and you should see EFI Boot as an alternative.
Windows will prompt for a couple of things – note that drivers for MacBook keyboard and touchpad are not available at this time, you would need an external USB keyboard. And it may restart a few times (keep on booting into Windows), and finally you will get to the desktop. Plug in your USB stick with BootCamp drivers and launch setup.exe.
Create Windows restore point:
- Right-click the Start button, then select Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System.
- In the left pane, select System protection.
- Select the System Protection tab, and then select Create.
- In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then select Create.
went through DDU of AMD drivers, installed NVIDIA drivers
eGPU is discoverable
I get code 12 error from time to time. Solution is to run integrated.bat and boot through apple_set_os.efi .
Able to make eGPU work properly after 4-5 restarts to Windows every time.