early 2011 13" Macbook Pro + GTX950@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS10.10.0 & Win7 [jamarinas]^ // MBR/BIOS mode  

jamarinas
(@jamarinas)
March 26, 2017 1:22 pm  

System

Macbook Pro 13” Early 2011 (i7-2620M, Thunderbolt 1)

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB, DDR3-1600)

Boot device: Toshiba (APPLE) SSD, 256GB

eGPU Hardware

ASUS GTX 950 Mini 2GB

Akitio Thunder2 (No Mods)

ENERMAX EG365P-VE (DIY MOLEX to Barrel Adapter, Temporary)

Software

Mac OS X 10.10

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (Bootcamp, BIOS/MBR)

DIY eGPU 1.35

ThrottleStop (to manage CPU heat, fixed it to 2.2GHz, I already replaced the TIM to Prolimatech PK-1)

OSX Installation:

For some reason, the GPU was not detected in OSX and Windows. I tried different power-on methods. Initially, I thought the Thunder2 box is defective so I tried to put an LSI RAID card inside. It got detected by both OSX and Windows.

I read somewhere a script made by goalque automates the detection and installation of an eGPU in OSX so I tried it. The GTX950 got detected and drivers got downloaded for it. I restarted to Windows and saw that the eGPU was also detected.

https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU

I haven’t tried using any 3D benchmark applications in OSX so I don’t know if it works. The primary use of my eGPU setup is for Windows anyway.

Windows Installation:

Why not UEFI?

Early 2011 Macbook Pros have a problem in Windows UEFI installation. The audio device is incorrectly enumerated and no driver can fix the problem. It is unusable. While there are several solutions for this, I use my laptop somewhere else so I need it to be usable with the least amount of additional equipment. My laptop has an existing Windows 7 Pro SP1 installation so I installed the eGPU here.

Since I purchased my Akitio Thunder2 late, I decided to buy DIY eGPU setup first so I can play with it. Without a working eGPU system, I played with several compaction methods. I noticed that both available compaction methods hang the system (ALL + ALL except USB+SATA+etc.etc.etc.) The only one that works is the iGPU compaction.

Update: With the suggestion of nando4, I tried the 3.87GB end-point. We found out that the GPU got allocated and the DSDT is not necessary.

(DSDT no longer required)

I decided then to explore the DSDT override and large memory. I followed the steps outlined by nando4 and with the help of the eGPU setup, I was able to have large memory.

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/

I used the INTEL method. By using the included refs.txt, I encountered 3 compile warnings. There are lines that the program cannot interpret. However, it will produce a WORKING dsdt.aml. (Well, mine works without further modifications)

DIY eGPU Setup Settings

Configure Setup 1.35->menu-based with these parameters:

1. PCI compaction->endpoint=3.87GB
  2. PCI compaction->legacy mode=selected
  3. PCI compaction->ignore:eGPU
  4. PCI compaction->Run->scope:iGPU
  5. Startup.bat->test run
  6. Chainloader->test run

Like this pic but change endpoint to be 3.87GB

egpu setup 2011w7mbr

Regular Bootup Process: 

1. Plug in power to Akitio box

2. Plug in Thunderbolt cable to Akitio box and Macbook Pro

3. Turn-on Macbook Pro and hold Option Key

4. While in the boot selection menu, turn-on the power to the Akitio box (the fan of the GPU should go to 100% a bit, then silent)

5. I will usually wait for 10 seconds or so (6-10 seconds should do) before selecting Bootcamp

6. If successful, the internal screen should show that it is loading Windows

On the Windows boot manager, I will select DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 -> startup.bat.

egpu detected1 2011w7mbr

egpu detected2 2011w7mbr

egpu detected3 2011w7mbr

Stability Comments:

STARWARS Battlefront (2015)

*3hrs+ play, no problems

*Medium settings

*1280×800

*ThrottleStop @ 2.2GHz to manage CPU heat

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
jamarinas
(@jamarinas)
March 26, 2017 1:37 pm  

Hardware Photo:

ASUS GTX950 Mini 2GB inside the Akitio Thunder2 Box

(IT FITS AND CAN BE CLOSED!)

egpu hardware 2011w7mbr

Game in action:

STARWARS Battlefront 2015

(HD3000 can’t run this because of its DX10.1 limitation)

45-60FPS depending on the map, usually 60FPS, sometimes it dips when there are a lot lot lot of players in the map

egpu battlefront2015 2011w7mbr

thor203 liked
ReplyQuote
duggoutdigger67
(@duggoutdigger67)
May 1, 2017 2:18 am  

I have an early 2011 15″ Macbook Pro with the same cpu and I’m not having any luck. Did your macbook come with a dedicated GPU or just the Intel Graphics?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 1, 2017 2:25 am  
Posted by: duggoutdigger67

I have an early 2011 15″ Macbook Pro with the same cpu and I’m not having any luck. Did your macbook come with a dedicated GPU or just the Intel Graphics?

Your 2011 15″ MBP has HD6750M or HD6770M graphics. The OP’s 2011 13″ MBP has Intel H3000 graphics only.

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
AMDYeahYouKnowMe
(@amdyeahyouknowme)
May 30, 2017 12:32 am  

I’ve got the 15inch 2011 MBP as well, the one with the HD6750M dGPU as well as the Intel on-chip iGPU.  Any ideas for me to get Win10 (or 8 for that matter), working with this machine and the Node/RX580 combo? If the Thunder2 would be a better choice, I could go that way as well. 

Edited: 9 months  ago

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register