Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro + RX460@16Gbps-TB2 (Akitio Thunder2) + macOS10.12.4&Win10 [seethebridges]^ // 120W AC adapter  

SeeTheBridges
(@seethebridges)
March 1, 2017 9:57 pm  

A big thank you to veriestVarlet for helping me get this working in the first place!

My Build (Pictures!)

(Early 2015) 13in Retina MacBook Pro

Akitio Thunder2  – $197 from Jet.com with triple15 and opt out (bonus ~$9 off with 5% cash back using the ibotta app)

MSI RX 460 2GB OC – Bought used for $80 from a reddit.com/r/hardwareswap user

120W 5.5×2.5mm power adapter – $20 on amazon, I got lucky and they were selling this which was the one I got, but it appears to be out of stock sadly

Total – $300 (- $20 if you use ibotta bonuses = $280)

macOS Setup (Sierra)

This setup is pretty plug and play for me. Plug in your power adapter, and the TB2 cable into the eGPU.

1. Run the automate-eGPU.sh script. Just follow the instruction on screen. You’ll plug in your eGPU and run the script again. The script will run and ask you to reboot your Mac
  2. Reboot your MBP without unplugging your eGPU
  3. Check under About Mac and click System report. Check under Graphics/Displays, the eGPU should be there labeled as AMD R9 XXX. 
  4. If its there, go ahead and plug in display! You should be connected! 
  5. ALSO, don’t forget to set the external display as the primary one by going to your display settings and dragging the white top menu bar from the internal display, onto the external one!

Do note that with my specific setup, I have some strange artifacting within macOS ONLY that I have not been able to resolve. I think it may just be due to my more limited amount of VRAM at only 2GB. 

I think I’ve finally resolved my artifacting issue. After following the above steps, make a cope of the eGPU.sh script and replace everything in it with this. It’s a slightly altered script by @goalque from over on that OTHER forum. From my understanding, this enables GPU acceleration for the 460 which in turn fixes all of the issues my setup was having. I simply updated the script to work with macOS 10.12.4. You can do the same yourself for the original eGPU script by simply replacing all instances of 9500 with 9510 to fix the script for this setup. 

Windows 10 Setup (Pre-Anniversary Update, build 1511)

Alright, this one is a bit of a doozy to get setup, but it works wonderfully for me so far.

Software

1 – rEFInd – This is an alternate loader that you will used to launch a special script when starting windows

2 – startup.sh script – I use an altered win_plus_gpu.nsh from this. Mine can be seen here.

3 – perform DSDT Override

4 – AMD drivers – Get them straight from AMD. Im using 17.6.2 I think. ReLive turned off because I don’t want the performance hit on my 460

1. Start with a standard Windows 10 Bootcamp install. I actually went out of my way to find an ISO with build 1511 which was the last build before the anniversary update, but I’ll check if the Anniversary update works at some point when it forces me to update.
  2. Reboot back into macOS and install rEFInd. You can follow this guide, but make sure to either change to the other “mm” command, or just use the script I put on pastebin. Also, when you are editing the rEFInd.conf, use this() to have my theme. My setup has the altered command as well as boots faster.
  3. Now that we’ve got Windows up and running with the boot script, we’re gonna enable a DSDT override  using part of this post, and part of the original post from that thread, I applied a DSDT override using a registry override.
    Essentially, we’re gonna use MaciASL to create our modified AML file. Do the QWordMemory modification detailed in that post, and then compile and save as dsdt-modified.aml. Drag that file onto somewhere where you can access the file in windows, and go ahead and reboot into windows. Then follow the in registry override instructions.
  4. Then you’ll want to run the command veriestVarlet posted about here. The command is “bcdedit.exe -set pciexpress forcedisable” without the quotes.
  5. Reboot Windows, make sure to boot using the Windows+eGPU option way on the right!
  6. Confirm Large memory is in device manager, and if you view devices by connection, you should see PCI to PCI bridges instead of PCIe up/downstreams. If those are there, you’ve successfully enabled your DSDT Override as well as enabled legacy PCI with testsigning and you’re almost ready!
  7. In device manager, View devices by connection, you’re going to want to disable pci express root ports 1 AND 2. At this point, you can install drivers and AMD xConnect should detect your eGPU! If not, try rebooting with everything but a display plugged in to the eGPU. Then plugging in the monitor after you’ve got windows up and running.

That should be it! Hope anyone that’s as clueless as I was can follow these directions. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask! With my Spring break coming up, I may do a video tutorial as well, since I find video personally easier to follow along with. 

Edited: 3 months  ago

sadwed and enjoy liked
ReplyQuote
sadwed
(@sadwed)
March 21, 2017 3:28 pm  

do you have strange artifacting in bootcamp?

ReplyQuote
SeeTheBridges
(@seethebridges)
March 22, 2017 3:27 am  

Nope! Edited main post to make that more clear.

sadwed liked
ReplyQuote
schroef
(@schroef)
March 29, 2017 1:55 am  

Does the AKitio Thunder2 also work on the interal MBP display with TB2?

ReplyQuote
sadwed
(@sadwed)

ReplyQuote
ricky
(@ricky)
Eminent Member
April 8, 2017 7:34 am  

Do you managed to make it work with AMD X connect? If yes how? Is it just install and done. Thanks

ReplyQuote
SeeTheBridges
(@seethebridges)
April 12, 2017 3:27 am  
Posted by: ricky

Do you managed to make it work with AMD X connect? If yes how? Is it just install and done. Thanks

It should just pop up as a notification once everything connects properly! No need for any work on your end after the drivers install. AMD catalyst should detect the card as external and xConnect will initialize with no user input.

*Also updated the OP with pictures

Edited: 11 months  ago

ReplyQuote
SeeTheBridges
(@seethebridges)
April 18, 2017 4:39 pm  

Updated OP with info on how to fix the artifacting issue as well as using the eGPU on macOS 10.12.4.

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
jumpingsalad
(@jumpingsalad)
May 10, 2017 5:12 pm  

just a question, is it necessary to upgrade the power supply to 120w? how do I know if I need more?  I also founs some 19v 120w on amazon is that advisable or no? TIA 🙂

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member
May 10, 2017 9:11 pm  
Posted by: jumpingsalad

just a question, is it necessary to upgrade the power supply to 120w? how do I know if I need more?  I also founs some 19v 120w on amazon is that advisable or no? TIA 🙂

Yes! You need 12V not 19V:

You will need only to replace the original AKiTiO Thunder2, Thunder3 or Node Lite 75W adapter with 120W and plug dimensions: 5.5*2.5 mm like this 120W AC Adapter Charger (£23) or eFreesia 12V 10A 120W ($22)

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
 MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

vava726 liked
ReplyQuote
(@fellar031)
Eminent Member
December 4, 2017 7:46 pm  

does it still work today?

ReplyQuote
dishwasherd
(@dishwasherd)
December 15, 2017 2:51 am  

Hi SeeTheBridges,

Can you please make a video of this process!

I have a similar set up to you: rMBP 13″ (late 2013), Akitio Node lite, TB3>TB2, GTX 1050ti and 120w power supply but I have run into a dead end with the 1050 ti. Since the Rx 460/480 seem to have a high level of success I want to give that a final try. However, looking at your instructions, while very clear, gives my noob brain a cold sweat. 

If you could find the time to make a video I would be incredible grateful and would hopefully mean I haven’t wasted hundreds of dollars on my setup.

Cheers!!! 

ReplyQuote
SeeTheBridges
(@seethebridges)
January 12, 2018 3:13 pm  
Posted by: fellar031

does it still work today?

Yes! It does still work! I just don’t visit these forums particularly often. Sorry for the delayed response.

Hi SeeTheBridges,

Can you please make a video of this process!

I have a similar set up to you: rMBP 13″ (late 2013), Akitio Node lite, TB3>TB2, GTX 1050ti and 120w power supply but I have run into a dead end with the 1050 ti. Since the Rx 460/480 seem to have a high level of success I want to give that a final try. However, looking at your instructions, while very clear, gives my noob brain a cold sweat. 

If you could find the time to make a video I would be incredible grateful and would hopefully mean I haven’t wasted hundreds of dollars on my setup.

Cheers!!! 

Hmm, I had considered making one at one point. I’ll see what I can do, but making a video of the caliber that I post takes quite a bit of work. If you want to pop into the Discord that the forum has, I’ll gladly try and help you troubleshoot!

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register