late-2016 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accelerator) + macOS10.13&Win10 [yifanlu]^  

yifanlu
(@yifanlu)
Eminent Member
October 26, 2017 5:18 pm  

(Yes you read that right, 16Gbps-TB3. I used the right port. Keep reading if that doesn’t make sense to you.)

Installing Windows on external HDD

I didn’t want to use up my precious SSD for Windows which I don’t plan to spend a lot of time on (just gaming). I used similar steps to that here. I have Parallels Desktop and used it to install Windows to a virtual HDD the same size as my actual HDD (rounded down to the nearest MiB). When the Windows installer reboots to continue installation, I terminated the VM before it gets back into Windows installer. Then I hooked the virtual HDD to a Ubuntu VM and block copied the HDD to my external drive over USB 3.0. The advantage of using the real Windows installer is that the EFI and recovery partition is installed correctly to the correct size. Yes, you can do it manually but I did that before and every time I upgrade windows, there’s some kind of failure because of some mismatch so it’s a lot of hassle.

Next, I ran into the dreaded error 12 problem. None of the “easy” fixes worked for me. I tried every port. I tried disabling all the other PCI ports. No dice, so I went with the Clover DSDT method. Additionally, since I installed to an external HDD, I can’t do the hotplug trick, so I needed apple_set_os.efi as well or boot will be stuck on the windows logo. I didn’t like having to run apple_set_os.efi every boot so I built my own Clover. In the provided package, you just need to place your dsdt.aml in the WINDOWS directory and then merge the EFI folder with your Windows EFI partition. This will let you boot right into windows without seeing Clover gui at all with the proper DSDT patches and iGPU enabled.

OSX High Sierra

Use my guide here.

Performance

So because of how my desk is set up, it would be really awkward to put the HP OMEN Accelerator on the left side (the included 0.5m cable is not long enough and a 2m cable costs $50!). I want to use the left port, but as Apple puts it, the left port is more resource constrained because more devices are hooked up to that PCIe port. However, just by doing some back-of-the-envelope math, it seems like in the worst case, you still get 16Gbps on the left side which is TB2 quality and benchmarks I’ve seen for GTX1060 + TB2 isn’t that terrible compared to TB3. To test my hypothesis, I compared benchmarks from both the left and right ports.

Right:

Left:

As expected, the left port performs better (~5%), but not enough to warrant moving my entire workspace around. At the end of the day, I don’t think the GTX1060 is bottlenecking on the TB3 bandwidth. My hypothesis is that the TB3 performance downgrade is mostly due to protocol overhead + lack of hardware optimizations.

Edited: 3 months  ago

NVIDIAEGPUSupport - Nvidia eGPU support for macOS High Sierra
Clover-DSDT+apple_set_os.efi - Macbook Pro Windows error 12 & iGPU fixed Bootloader
---
late-2016 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accelerator) + macOS10.13 & Win10

고정권, TrDA, goalque and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
alew3
(@alew3)
October 27, 2017 11:34 am  

I also had success with the new drivers. Even the system crash I was reporting before on shutdown doesn’t happen any more! Now my EGPU experience under High Sierra is the same as Sierra!

ReplyQuote
Excubitoro
(@excubitoro)
Eminent Member
October 27, 2017 4:10 pm  
Posted by: alew3

I also had success with the new drivers. Even the system crash I was reporting before on shutdown doesn’t happen any more! Now my EGPU experience under High Sierra is the same as Sierra!

Do you need to run the fix from the beginning of this thread again if you update the web driver? (For the eGPU to be recognized)

ReplyQuote
mrmerisi
(@mrmerisi)
December 23, 2017 6:38 am  

Hi all – I have a Macbook 2017 13″ w/Touchbar. Trying to use a “Bizon Box 2” eGPU and I get this:

[img] [/img]

So the system is seeing the eGPU but it doesn’t activate it for display, which remains connected to the Iris.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@kuba_nejman)
January 9, 2018 3:23 pm  

Sorry for noob question, but this is my 1st GPU card. How did you connect pin/cables with card? Mine has 2×8 pins (1070 ti) and Omen has 6pin,2pin and 8pin cables. Did you connect all? Order matters? 

ReplyQuote
(@john_pogosyan)
January 10, 2018 6:29 am  

Not working in 10.13.2 (17C205). Anyone have a fix for this one? Web Drivers are already out.

ReplyQuote
(@davy_chen)
February 13, 2018 5:13 pm  

hi yifan, 
I basically have the same set up as you. late-2016 13” MacBook Pro w/ touch bar, gtx 1060 and omen accelerator. i just received the graphics card and enclosure today. I tried to boot up the windows and plug in the accelerator with the graphic card installed. Then the OS just crashed and I have no idea what to do. I searched some posts in this forum and saw someone saying i should plug the accelerator with no graphic card first and see if MacBook can detect the accelerator first. And with respect to thunderbolt 3 firmware as well as omen accelerator firmware, do we need to update them?

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register