late-2016 15" Macbook Pro RP450 + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS10.12.5&Win [mbhdtech]^ // no OS Mods  

mbhdtech
(@mbhdtech)
May 10, 2017 4:57 am  

Hey guys! I managed to get my setup up and running. I originally wanted to get Nvidia Optimus working, but the process with the “apple_set_os.efi” was not working for me (partially … well mostly, because I had no idea what I was doing). I was contemplating on doing the DSDT Override instead. Maybe you guys can help me choose.

Anyways! Here it is.

macOS

1. (Using bootcamp windows) I downloaded the thunderbolt 3 software. This method was of great help. Check it out

2. I then plugged in the Node (not sure if I want to recommend this since my touch bar went blank the moment I inserted it). I then proceeded to update the firmware of the Node. Here is a link for the firmware updates for Akitio products. Select the Node, then download and install the update (I did this with my 1070 inside the Node). 

3. I then restarted and booted into safe mode (You do this by holding CMD + R as you press the power button). After I was in safe mode, I clicked utilities and then clicked terminal. From there I typed “csrutil disable;reboot”. This rebooted into macOS. It took forever but your mileage may vary.

4. After I was in, it was pretty straight forward with using goalque‘s script. (Thank you BTW!) – Tutorial here.

5. Restarted and I was greeted with bizarre looking screen (probably because Nvidia’s Pascal Drivers are still beta). A hard power down, then powered up, fixed this issue. Thats pretty much it for macOS.

Windows (Bootcamp)

After spending hours trying to figure out how to use the apple_set_os.efi (with no luck), I gave up (temporarily) with internal LCD acceleration and just tried it using an external monitor.

1. As my laptop was powered down, I inserted the Node. I then inserted an HDMI cable into the 1070’s rear.

2. I powered on the laptop and booted into Windows Bootcamp. Both displays came on. (No warnings, No errors, Nothing)

3. I then checked my device manager and there it was! (The RP450 and 1070 side by side).

4. I then decided to disable the AMD card which caused the laptop screen to go blank, but the external display was still up.

5. After that, I proceeded to install the drivers for the 1070. And that was pretty much it.

Test

I tested:

– Overwatch (Epic Settings @1080p : 60fps)

– Forza Mortorsport 6 Apex (Ultra Settings @1080p: 60fps)

– NFS 2015 (Ultra Settings @1080p) **I didn’t have frame counter for this, but gameplay was buttery smooth… so maybe 60fps?**

Side notes

* I did the macOS setup first, then proceeded to do it on windows

* I used the port closest to me on the left hand side.

* I know people get error 12/31/43 codes, but for some weird reason, I didn’t get any? Weird. Your mileage may vary.

* All of this was done on the latest version of macOS and Windows (Creators Update)

* Luckily, I didn’t have to do any crazy stuff. I already had to send in my MB Pro to Apple for other issues. Really don’t wanna mess it up.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. I can also post pictures If you guys want.

And shoutout to pretty much everyone here. I kinda took away from every guide I read.  

Edited: 3 months  ago

rushvora, enjoy and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Vendor
May 12, 2017 2:55 pm  

Valley benchmark? 🙂

eGPU.it | LG 29" curved ultrawide display
MacBook Pro 2017 touchbar i7 3.5Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD + Mantiz Venus with AMD Radeon RX 580

ReplyQuote
mbhdtech
(@mbhdtech)
May 15, 2017 7:09 pm  

Benchmark results:

Windows MacOS
mbhdtech win
mbhdtech macOS

Edited: 9 months  ago

nando4 and enjoy liked
ReplyQuote
dreamcat4
(@dreamcat4)
June 7, 2017 8:10 pm  

It kindda seems like (for your laptop), there is a diference between the left ports and the right ports. To help confirm this matter, can you please run one of the following programs, and see the wiring?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/iojones/

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Then save the hardware report –> upload it here (as an attachment). Would really appreciate this. Many thanks.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
June 7, 2017 8:19 pm  
Posted by: dreamcat4

It kindda seems like (for your laptop), there is a diference between the left ports and the right ports. To help confirm this matter, can you please run one of the following programs, and see the wiring?

There is no lane width or performance difference between the left and right side on a late-2016 15″ MBP other than the position of enumeration by the OS. Here’s a full lspci listing if you want to investigate this further: https://github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux/blob/master/MacBookPro13%2C3/lspci

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
dreamcat4
(@dreamcat4)
June 7, 2017 8:32 pm  

Thanks

ReplyQuote
dreamcat4
(@dreamcat4)
June 7, 2017 8:37 pm  
Posted by: nando4
Posted by: dreamcat4

There is no lane width or performance difference between the left and right side on a late-2016 15″ MBP other than the position of enumeration by the OS. Here’s a full lspci listing if you want to investigate this further: https://github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux/blob/master/MacBookPro13%2C3/lspci

Just a quick quetsiton: The one you linked was for the 13 inch. So how come are you so sure the same for the 15 inch model? They will have different logic boards to each other. Also: Apple seems to think the 13 inch version has slightly slower speed for the right hand side ports on the 13 inch. Yet does not say so for the 15 inch,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207256

So that terse official statement would suggest they are indeed, differently wired to each other.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register