late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP450 + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [theitsage]  

Page 1 / 3 Next

theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 13, 2017 3:58 am  

Following my review of the Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box here’s an implementation guide on a late-2016 15″ MacBook Pro. This one has been the most challenging yet to resolve both error 12 and Nvidia Optimus internal display mode. It was working but not reliable. I kept trying and believe it’s now working very stable.

System specs:

Late 2016 15″ MacBook Pro – i7-6700HQ/Radeon Pro 450 dGPU/HD Graphics 530 iGPU/16GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

AORUS Gaming Box + GeForce GTX 1070 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware video:

Here’s a quick video of a typical boot up process. I select the apple_set_os.efi, then proceed to boot into Windows partition. The LEDs on AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box turn off briefly during Windows boot screen. They turn back on when Windows completes boot up and recognizes eGPU. I restarted the laptop with eGPU attached at least a dozen times today and it was working every time.

Installation steps:

I’m working on a detailed Bootcamp eGPU setup guide article in the coming weeks. These are the basic steps I took for this setup:

• Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS].
  • Install DDU to remove default AMD/Nvidia graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues – name it “DDU Safe” [in Windows].
  • Install rEFInd boot manager – disable SIP if you haven’t done so already [in macOS].
  • Mount EFI partition and create a subfolder called “custom” [in macOS].
  • Download and copy apple_set_os.efi into the “custom” folder inside EFI volume [in macOS].
  • Hit ENTER on apple_set_os.efi volume at rEFInd screen then boot into Windows [boot selection].
  • Open Device Manager to confirm Intel iGPU is present and active [in Windows].
  • Install latest Intel iGPU graphics drivers [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues – name it “iGPU Safe” [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 to disable it [in Windows].
  • Run gpu-switch integrated.bat as Admin to attach the iGPU to internal display on next boot – may need to install 2013 Visual C++ x86 [in Windows].
  • Shut MacBook Pro down then connect eGPU to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3 ports.
  • Boot into Windows following apple_set_os.efi at rEFInd screen [boot selection].
  • Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues – name it “eGPU Safe” [in Windows].
  • Boot into Windows following apple_set_os.efi at rEFInd screen [boot selection].
  • Open Device Manager to confirm iGPU, dGPU, and eGPU are present and active [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x16 – 1901 to disable it. If there’s no BSOD proceed to enable PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 [in Windows].

If all goes well, you have essentially converted the 15″ TB3 MacBook Pro into an iGPU only laptop. This helps enabling Nvidia Optimus and solving error 12. One important thing to keep in mind is that you have to re-enable PCIe Controller x16 – 1901 [in Windows] prior to boot back into macOS because the Radeon dGPU is on this PCIe connection. Otherwise the next Windows boot will hang due to macOS force-attaching the dGPU onto the internal display. This is why I recommend creating manual restore points in Windows after a change so that in the event Windows fails to boot, you can go back to a safe spot without redoing the entire process. PhysX shows Nvidia GTX 1070 is binding with HD Graphics 530 to power the internal display.

Prior to booting into macOS, perform these steps to ensure the next Windows boot won’t hang:

• Enable PCI Express x16 Controller – 1901 to the Radeon dGPU.
  • Run gpu-switch dedicated.bat as Administrator to attach dGPU to internal display.
  • Reboot and check if dGPU is powering the internal display (can change display brightness).

aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro hwinfo

aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro cuda z

Benchmarks:

Here are benchmark numbers through internal display mode. I attached an USB 3.0 525GB SSD external drive to the AORUS Gaming Box to install Steam games. Other than Unigine programs, the other ones were all done through the external drive via eGPU. The Thunderbolt 3 15″ MacBook Pro yields impressive results despite the H2D half bandwidth this AORUS Gaming Box currently suffer.

aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro 1080 internal heaven
aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro 1080 internal valley
aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro 1080 internal superposition
aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro 1080 internal fire strike
aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro 1080 internal time spy
aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro 1080 internal the division
aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro 1080 internal ghost recon
aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro 1080 internal mordor
aorus gtx 1070 gaming box 2016 15 in macbook pro 1080 internal dirt rally

Comments:

I wanted to make sure this setup procedure works with most Thunderbolt 3 enclosures on the market so I tried the other 4 I have. They all work the same way. The safest approach is to uninstall graphics drivers with DDU before connecting the new enclosure + GPU. 

AMD cards require both x16 PCIe Controller 1901 and x8 1905 to be disabled at boot to prevent error 12. Once Xconnect is up and running, x8 PCIe Controller 1905 can be enabled to use the left Thunderbolt 3 ports.

akitio node gtx 980 ti 2016 15 in macbook pro implementation

Edited: 2 weeks  ago

Numerous implementation guides

ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)
August 13, 2017 9:59 am  

Great great guide, just what I needed, thank you. Only one question: what are the steps I can avoid if I just want to use an external monitor and not boost the internal display?

ReplyQuote
(@zadillo)
August 13, 2017 10:10 am  

Thank you so much for this….. Can’t wait to see the guide you’re working on. I’m hoping to pair this with my 2017 15″ MBP but haven’t been clear until now what steps is have to take

ReplyQuote
baris3
(@baris3)
August 14, 2017 1:10 am  

Can I also do it with 750m thunderbolt 2 macbook pro ? If I’d known it will be possible easily I would order the Aorus without hesitation..

ReplyQuote
VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)
August 14, 2017 3:29 pm  
Posted by: ludalex

Great great guide, just what I needed, thank you. Only one question: what are the steps I can avoid if I just want to use an external monitor and not boost the internal display?

Thanks for the guide!

Same question here: I hope to use the gaming box to drive an Oculus Rift (only, I do not have another external display) and leave the internal display attached to the dGPU (and not use apple_set_os or rEFInd if possible.)

I will be rebooting into macOS on a regular basis, and would like to keep the whole switch process as simple as possible.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 14, 2017 3:41 pm  

If you only intend to use eGPU with external display, try these steps and see whether they resolve error 12.

• Install DDU to remove default graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 to disable it [in Windows].
  • Shut down then connect eGPU (with external monitor attached) to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.
  • Open Device Manager to confirm 2x Microsoft Basic Display Adapters are present and active [in Windows].

Edited: 5 months  ago

ronchigram, NieghtLyght, VxD and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member
August 14, 2017 4:29 pm  

Hey @theITSage,

Awesome guide, yet again – when do you sleep!?

Just got my hands on a 2017 MPB – 3.1Ghz/1TB/560 dGPU – We originally sold it to a customer which someone at UPS ‘lost’ – it just turned up back at our warehouse in a manilla box without original packaging and a wiped HD. Interestingly Apple’s GSX platform confirmed the unit had been configured at some time in the previous week…Hmmm….interesting.

Anyway, now its find a new, caring owner, it looks like my Mid-2015 Retina MBP woes will now be over. Looking forward to having a go at this but I wondered what steps would be required to NOT use the internal HD but instead use a SanDisk II SDD in my Mantix Venus? Is the set-up basically the same given the SATA drive is seen on the TB3 bus?

Also, as I’m a Mac-nut and not a Win-dozer, what do you mean by “Create a manual Restore point”? Is this like a snapshot? 

Finally, if I want to use internal and external graphics from the eGPU do I take it the first method works for both?

Keep it up – we’re loving what you’re doing!

Hypernurd

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + GTX1080Ti@32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)
August 14, 2017 4:40 pm  
Posted by: theitsage
  • Install DDU to remove default graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].

Thanks, theitsage, for the useful info.

Is uninstalling the original drivers actually necessary? That would basically disable 3D acceleration on the internal display (as it would run on the dGPU without drivers).

It was my understanding that AMD and nVidia drivers would not conflict with each other and were thus OK to leave side by side.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 14, 2017 4:46 pm  

@hypernurd Congrats on a nice-specced MBP! I wonder why you’d want to go through the trouble of installing Windows on an external drive. I’d recommend creating a 200GB or less partition for Windows on the internal drive then install all of your games on the Sandisk II SSD in the Mantiz. That’s what I’m currently doing – partitioned the 256GB internal PCIe drive in half for Windows then store all games on the external SSD.

System Restore is a roll-back feature in Windows so yes it is a snapshot. You can follow this guide to create a manual restore point.

@VxD You can try uninstalling Windows stock Nvidia drivers only so that DDU turns off automated GPU driver installation. If it works for you please let us know.

ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)
August 14, 2017 6:08 pm  

I have a 2017  15″Macbook Pro (2.9Ghz/512GB/560 dGPU) and a gaming box arriving today. 

I’ll try this out on bootcamp tonight with my oculus rift and external display (2560×1600) and report back.

(As a sidenote, since Oculus demands 1080p*2 @ 90fps, would the half bandwidth problem be more pronounced when attempting to drive the oculus rift’s display?)

ReplyQuote
(@chris_cheng)
August 14, 2017 9:01 pm  

Thanks for your guide! I ran into bit of issue and planning to retry tonight, so if you can help me answering in few questions.

1. What’s the reason behind disabling 1905 prior to connecting eGPU and driver installing and re-enabling it and disable 1901 afterward?

2. I have a 2017 15″ Macbook Pro + Gaming Box + External Monitor. My initial setup was successful, but that was before this guide is available, so I did not disable/enable 1905/1901 during installation. It worked but a little buggy (Internal display flickers during boot up), so I retried with your guid. After disabling 1905, ran gpu-switch and connected to Gaming Box during boot-up. The Nvidia driver installation complained that no compatible card is available. What do you think this may related to? (The gaming box LED is on during rEFInd screen, but shut down once booted into Windows)

3. Do you keep your external display connected to gaming box during setup?

4. Do you power your Mac with original power or just the Gaming Box during setup?

5. Why are we using the right side of Thunderbolt 3 ports? Doesn’t the left side have faster port where it’s wired directly to the processor?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)
August 15, 2017 4:13 am  

I just got my Aorus Gaming box and I’m setting it up with my 15″ 2017 MBP.

So far I’ve observed:

-Only shows GTX 1070 if plugged into far away left side TB3 port. (If I use any other port it says “Video Controller (VGA Compatible)”

-If I unplug the eGPU from the “correct” port and plug it back in, it doesn’t even receive power. However, if I do the same to one of the ports where the eGPU is detected as “Video Controller”, then it starts up again and appears in device manager as Video Controller.

-If the eGPU is plugged into the “correct” port (the one where it shows up as GTX 1070), and I disable that TB3 controller (1905), the eGPU loses power. When I re-enable one of two things happen:

1. –I get a windows loading screen and some screen resizing as if it’s going to work, but then it crashes into a screen where it asks me if I want to go into advanced troubleshooting options. Unfortunately, the mouse doesn’t work here so I have to force reboot out of here.

2. –The display dies and I get the 🙁 face blue screen in windows 10.

(I installed the Nvidia drivers via device manager, which is all I’ve done so far really).

Attached is a screenshot of the device manager

ReplyQuote
VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)
August 15, 2017 4:50 am  

Hi Robot Ripper,

It looks like you are nearly there. The goal of the game is to free just enough resources for the eGPU to start.

Could you try disabling the PCIe Controller 1909 (since nothing is attached to it now), reboot, and see if that helps?

ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@hinza0188)
August 15, 2017 4:56 am  

IMG 4165

@theitsage Thank you so much 🙂 this totally work!

Mac supports both display as extended or mirrored, but windows will freeze my internal display no matter what.

Should I just use like this for now? Any ideas..?

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)
August 15, 2017 5:02 am  

Thanks VxD! I got it to work with some disabling. I will do benchmarks in the morning and try re-enabling the downstream switch ports (I don’t know why I disabled them).

disablethese
disablethese

theitsage and VxD liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 15, 2017 2:07 pm  

@hinza0188 I don’t recommend letting the internal display stuck on the Windows logo like that. Try booting without the external monitor attached. Once you confirm the eGPU is working then attach the external monitor. You can also select to have screen output on Monitor 2 only which often time is the external monitor.

@Robot Ripper In the Thunderbolt 3 15″ MacBook Pro, the x8 PCIe Controller 1905 is connecting to the left side TB3 ports. Therefore, when you have the eGPU connected on that side and proceed to disable the PCIe Controller 1905, it results in BSOD. The x16 PCIe Controller 1901 connects to the Radeon Pro discrete graphics card. The x4 PCIe Controller 1909 connects to the right Thunderbolt 3 ports.

My reason for choosing the right Thunderbolt 3 ports was due to trial and error. Your second Device Manager screen capture explains this in that disabling the x4 PCIe Controller 1909 by itself doesn’t free up enough resources to resolve error 12. Disable the x8 PCIe Controller 1905 frees up enough resources to get the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box going.

@Chris Cheng some of your questions may have been answered from my response to @Robot Ripper. My setup guide is to use internal display acceleration so there are more steps. I don’t use an external monitor at all during boot up. In fact, having an external monitor attached to the eGPU during boot may result in stuck Windows logo like what @hinzao188 is experiencing. My guess the hand-off between boot up process confuses the eGPU whether to prioritize the internal display or external one.

Last but not least, the power issue you’re seeing with the AORUS Gaming Box is a behavior I’ve noticed with eGPU enclosures that use Enhance PSU. There’s no physical power button on these PSUs so the enclosures rely on power settings based on Thunderbolt connectivity. Sometimes things get messed up and the enclosure stuck in limb mode where it provides power delivery to the laptop but Thunderbolt eGPU functionality is not running. I’ve tried several workarounds and the most reliable way to do a power reset is to shutdown the laptop with the Thunderbolt cable attached then unplug the power cable from the Gaming Box. Wait for at least 15 minutes then plug it back it. It should be back in business.

ReplyQuote
hypernurd
(@hypernurd)
Trusted Member
August 15, 2017 2:39 pm  

Hey @theITSage,

OK – thanks for the advice re: the location of Windows. I suppose I was trying to be a bit smart. I have a number of Mac hosts (2015-MBP, 2017-MBP, 2013-MacPro) and wanted to have something that would be flexible enough for me to use the eGPU on any of them but not to have to install Bootcamp/Windows on all of them. I only intend to use Windows for Steam, some 3D apps and for the time being some MoCap stuff too. Most of my workflow is Mac OS and long may that continue I hope. 

I viewed a YouTube video from a link somewhere on this site (or it may have been Mantiz’s) that describes how to install a bootable W10 instance on an external SSD – I believe this process is identical for an SSD in the Venus. However, they did make a point that the install would be ‘bound’ to the host it was created on (i.e. MBP-2015) and could cause issues when trying to boot alternative hardware (i.e. MBP-2017, MacPro), or cause a license exemption error.

Do you concur? What do you think is best? 

BTW – I re-ran the automate script with the -a argument on the Mid-2015 MBP and now my POST boot issue is resolved. Great news but as I now have the 2017-MBP this is now kinda redundant. Good learning curve however and I will post my build for others benefit regardless.

Hypernurd

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + GTX1080Ti@32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 15, 2017 3:21 pm  

Windows boot volume in my experience has never been host-independent. Windows 10 is getting better with configuring drivers when you connect the drive to a different computer it was installed on. However, licensing is still a big issue. You’ll most likely deal with Activation warnings.

ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)
August 15, 2017 6:45 pm  

@theitsage

Thanks for the info. Does this mean that with the x4 controller disabled (1909) I can’t use any peripherals via my right TB3 ports?

Also, I tried re-enabling both the Downstream ports and got error 12 again, but then disabled only one of them and now it works (1909 is still disabled).

I would actually prefer to use the right TB3 ports, but if I plug the eGPU into anything other than the far left one, then windows doesn’t detect it as “NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070” but rather as “Video Controller (VGA Compatible).” Is there any way to get around this?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 15, 2017 6:54 pm  

@Robot Ripper I’ve seen this behavior before during my testing. First make sure you have PCIe x8 Controller – 1905 (left TB3 ports) disabled and PCIe x4 Controller – 1909 enabled. Uninstall Nvidia drivers using DDU then restart the computer with eGPU connected to one of the right TB3 ports. You can proceed to download then install the Nvidia drivers and it should work.

ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@hinza0188)
August 16, 2017 2:31 pm  

@theitsage | Thanks! I have repeated the set up process like 4 times and finally figured out.

Now the both displays work in Windows. I didn’t realize after the rEFInd get set up, Bootcamp’s device manager

showed me the Microsoft default driver rather than intel HD graphics 530. After I installed the iGPU driver, it appeared correctly.

I think the process above should mention that after applying DDU and apple_set_os.efi, we should instruct people to install iGPU driver

I didn’t realize I was skipping this step because I assumed it already had iGPU driver installed in bootcamp.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 16, 2017 2:48 pm  

@hinza0188 I’m glad to hear it’s working for you. That was my oversight. I think after many different setups, I missed the step of installing the iGPU drivers. I’m adding it to the OP.

hinza0188 liked
ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@hinza0188)
August 16, 2017 3:24 pm  

@theitsage | Also, prior to  running gpu-switch integrated.bat , brand new bootcamp spits out “MSVCR120.dll is misssing” error.

We should mention this issue to readers and tell the easy fix: download vcredist_x86.exe from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

x64 version is already installed on bootcamp, but the .bat file requires 2013 Visual C++ x86 version on 64-bit Windows 10 OS as well.

This additional step and providing quick link fix should help out other readers.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)
August 16, 2017 5:07 pm  

@theitsage

I followed the helpful steps you gave for using an external display and got mostly everything working on my 2016 15″ MBPtb RP 460 with a Node Lite + 1050 ti. One issue I am having is that the fans in the MBP is not turning on when CPU temps get high. Does disabling PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 cause this? I also wonder if the other problem could be that the iGPU drivers isn’t installed and still showing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@hinza0188)
August 16, 2017 5:34 pm  
Posted by: fivefoot13

@theitsage

I followed the helpful steps you gave for using an external display and got mostly everything working on my 2016 15″ MBPtb RP 460 with a Node Lite + 1050 ti. One issue I am having is that the fans in the MBP is not turning on when CPU temps get high. Does disabling PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 cause this? I also wonder if the other problem could be that the iGPU drivers isn’t installed and still showing Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

@fivefoot13

I also commented above with suggesting we need to put additional steps; which includes when we see Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, we should install iGPU driver so it appears “Intel HD530” correctly on device manager. If you keep see the MS Basic Display Adapter on device manager, DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER. I had to re-do the entire process all day until I figure that fact out…

Also, disabling PCIe Controller x8 – 1905  should not cause anything related to the fan. that PCIe 1905 port only controls the left side TB3 ports in the Macbook hardware. It’s one of the new macbook’s feature(?) that they don’t run the fan up until it’s really bad. I played some video games on this setting (2016 MBP 15” i7-2.7GHz/RP455) + (Gigabyte Auros Gaming Box 1070) and it did what it suppose to do with clear performance. Wait until it really gets ready to explode, you will see the fan running right before it actually does explode. While I was rebooting more than 20 times within an hour, it’s temperature were around 70-ish Celcius but didn’t run fans.

By the way, there’s last step that you shouldn’t forget -> re-enable PCIe Controller x8 – 1905  and disable PCIe Controller x16 – 1901 so the dGPU (RP460 in your case) gets disabled. From that point, mackbook now takes the eGPU as primary source. Disabling PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 helps freeing resources to activate eGPU, but keep this disabled will really disables functionality of your left side USB-C ports.

ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)
August 16, 2017 6:00 pm  

@theitsage

Is there any chance that the PCIe x4 Controller – 1909 has something to do with the aux port on the right? No audio devices are able to be detected if plugged into the aux port (and the system speakers, Cirrus, don’t work either even though windows “thinks” they are). I’ll try disconnecting the eGPU and see if this brings back the audio.

Something that I’m having trouble understanding: With Controller 1909 (x4) disabled, the right side TB3 ports shouldn’t work (this is my understanding). However, while the eGPU was running and 1909 was indeed disabled, I could connect a TB3-VGA 1920×1200 external display and had it work perfectly. The eGPU at this time was connected to yet another 2560×1600 display, and I could drag games/windows between the two displays without a problem. When I go into Display Settings (windows) and select Display Adapter properties, I can see that the Radeon Pro 560 is driving the 1920×1200 display (the one connected to the right side TB3 port), and the GTX 1070 is driving the 2560×1600 display. What confuses me is how both the right side TB3 ports were able to drive the extra display even though the controller managing those is disabled. (I had both the left side TB3 ports occupied with the Aorus and a USB Hub).

ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)
August 16, 2017 7:54 pm  

@hinza0188

Thank you for your response. I will see if I can install the iGPU drivers after playing on it for a while. If not, I’ll start from scratch and go through the whole process again. Appreciate the help and will post my results. 

@robot ripper

I had issues with the audio as well. When I disabled then enable the sound in device manager the headphone jack and speaker worked. 

hinza0188 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 16, 2017 8:01 pm  

Audio issue is common on the TB3 MacBook Pro when pairing with eGPU in Bootcamp. As @fivefoot13 said, simply disable it in Device Manager then re-enable to make it work.

@Robot Ripper I’m not sure what exactly is going on with display output through the right TB3 ports when the PCIe x4 Controller – 1909 is disabled. I wonder if USB-C is still functional and the TB3-VGA 1920×1200 external monitor is a DisplayPort signal over USB-C connection.

ReplyQuote
NieghtLyght
(@nieghtlyght)
August 17, 2017 3:47 am  

@theitsage So like @Robert Ripper I can only manage to get my MacBook Pro 15 2016 to detect my GTX 1060 from my left ports. I am also trying to only use an external display and keep my MacBook lid closed. When I disable the x8 ports and try using the right ports it does not respond. I tried uninstalling all the drivers and still nothing. But when I disable the x4 controller and plug my akitio node into the left ports the 1060 is detect but gives me an error 12. Is there anything else I could disable that would free enough resources for me to overcome this issue?

I’d really appreciate the help! 🙂

ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)
August 17, 2017 6:11 am  

When I tried installing the iGPU I kept on getting a message saying that my machine didn’t meet the minimum requirements. I tried installing older versions and updated to the latest version both gave me the same message. Is there a specific win10 version that I need to be on? 

ReplyQuote
hinza0188
(@hinza0188)
August 17, 2017 5:22 pm  
Posted by: fivefoot13

When I tried installing the iGPU I kept on getting a message saying that my machine didn’t meet the minimum requirements. I tried installing older versions and updated to the latest version both gave me the same message. Is there a specific win10 version that I need to be on? 

@fivefoot13

That message is saying the Windows OS did not detect Intel HD530. In order to detect iGPU, you have to run apple_set_os.efi and there are two ways.

1. use @goalque‘s method. https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/

——-> this method always require bootable USB drive upon boot process of Windows

2. use @theitsage’s rEFInd (aka refind) method. 

——> this method does not require bootable USB drive; you will use REFIND boot manager to activate apple_set_os.efi and go boot the Windows

Without above method (spoofing Mac OS booting methodology for Windows), Bootcamp does not have privilege of detecting your iGPU.

If you are using either way to activate apple_set_os.efi to boot Windows and getting same errors, I strongly recommend you to restart the entire process all over again.

Good luck! 😛

ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)
August 17, 2017 7:12 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

If you only intend to use eGPU with external display, try these steps and see whether they resolve error 12.

• Create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Shut down then connect eGPU (with external monitor attached) to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.
  • Open Device Manager to confirm 2x Microsoft Basic Display Adapters are present and active [in Windows].

@hinza0188 Ah, I see. I was trying to go the route @theitsage suggested if you intend to only use eGPU with an external display. It works, it’s just that the iGPU isn’t active, it just shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapters. I guess there isn’t much of a work around for that yet and the only option is what is posted. Thank you for the help!

ReplyQuote
fivefoot13
(@fivefoot13)
August 18, 2017 4:30 am  

I was able to get eGPU completely working with the iGPU active. PCIe Controller x8 1905 enabled and PCIe Controller x16 – 1905 disabled. I ran into problems trying to install rEFInd, so I went with the USB solution. Thanks again everybody for all the help.

In @theitsage steps, he mentioned that you have to disable x16 – 1905 before booting into MacOS, I’m not sure if I understand his explanation why. If x16 is disabled and integrated.bat is still active and when you boot back into windows with apple_set_os there shouldn’t be a problem with windows trying to use the dGPU again right? What is the process for shutting down?

hinza0188 liked
ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)
August 18, 2017 11:31 am  

After a night of trial and error I THINK I’ve found a comfortable setup, but I have a few questions.

1) I followed the guide to enable internal boosting, and everything is working more or less predictably. The only thing I don’t do is re-enable 1901 x16 whenever I have to boot in macOS. I always leave everything enabled except 1095 x8 and the only drawback is that whenever I boot in macOS and then again in Windows, the iGPU is not active, so I have to run integrated.bat and on the next boot everything works. Now, I’d like to understand if I can re-enable the iGPU in Windows BEFORE booting into it, from macOS. Would this be possible.

2) Internal display boosting is great, but what if I connect an external monitor to the eGPU while boosting the internal display? Will both internal and external display be boosted? If so, will the performance suffer by boosting one more monitor? 
I don’t clearly understand the logic behind Windows deciding what boosts who.

3) Before internal boosting, I also followed the smaller procedure to only boost external monitor. I was playing PUBG, and i had the USB hub of my Dell monitor attached to the Aorus. The hub had mouse, keyboard, speakers and headset connected. After a while the headset started randomly disconnecting and after a while the keyboard too, every few minutes. Could this be related to Aours TB3 USB bandwidth problems? 
Then I plugged the Dell’s USB hub to the left MBP’s port, played a game of CS:GO and devices never disconnected.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 18, 2017 1:48 pm  

@ludalex Good to hear you got it working. On certain eGPU, disabling the 1905 x8 PCIe (left TB3 ports) would free up enough resources to resolve error 12. Disabling the 1901 x16 PCIe (Radeon dGPU) is necessary for other eGPUs especially AMD ones.

Once you connect an external monitor, the eGPU will handle it while the iGPU handles the internal display. 

ReplyQuote
NieghtLyght
(@nieghtlyght)
August 18, 2017 1:59 pm  

How’d you get those drop down arrows to show up? My device manager doesn’t show a dropdown for the x8 Controller.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3 Next

Working

Please Login or Register