late-2016 15" MacBook Pro RP450 + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [theitsage]  

Page 3 / 3 Prev

1mike12
(@1mike12)
December 6, 2017 11:26 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

If you only intend to use eGPU with external display, try these steps and see whether they resolve error 12.

• Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS].
  • Install DDU to remove default graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
  • Create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Select View by Connection in Device Manager then locate PCIe Controller x8 – 1905 to disable it [in Windows].
  • Shut down then connect eGPU (with external monitor attached) to one of the right side Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.
  • Open Device Manager to confirm 2x Microsoft Basic Display Adapters are present and active [in Windows].
  • Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].

Mantiz Venus, RX570, 560 (?) dGPU, Windows 10

I just wanted to say that the directions above totally work even for my AMD egpu. I think I used DDU to wipe away (and keep wiped away) the dGPU, then once rebooted, clicked" set windows device installation settings to default". I didn't download drivers from AMD, instead going to device manager and just letting it fix the missing driver.  

The only problem now is that although in windows I can have my max 5 external monitors, in mac, if I plug in the 5th monitor, the OS crashes and all I see are glitches on the screens. 

@theitsage  If you don't mind, some quick questions I'm very confused by.

1. Why can OSX handle error12 fine, while windows cannot

2. Does having a 2017 MBP without hacking this workaround offer benefits beyond the end result of this little procedure above?

3. Why would someone want the egpu plugged into the x8 PCIE slots, vs the x4. Isn't thunderbolt 3 limited to the x4 speed anyways?

Thanks a bunch for the guide!

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
December 7, 2017 2:55 am  

@1mike12, I'm glad to hear you got an AMD eGPU to work with your 2017 15" MacBook Pro in Boot Camp. While the 2017 with Large Memory allocation helps in some scenario what I believe contributes to this success is Windows 10 Fall Creator Update (1709). Prior to this version, I needed both x16 PCI Express controller – 1901 and PCI Express x8 Controller – 1905 disabled at boot in order to resolve error 12 with an AMD eGPU.

The best answer for question #1 is Nando's guide on DSDT override to fix eGPU error 12. For question #2, you're losing the use of the left Thunderbolt 3 ports to reserve resources for the AMD eGPU. For #3, it's basically a preference and desk arrangement. 

Numerous implementation guides

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3 Prev

Working

Please Login or Register