mid-2017 nTB 13" MacBook Pro + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [theitsage]  

theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 13, 2017 2:07 pm  

The non-Touch Bar Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro is the easiest one to implement eGPU in Bootcamp. My setup guide has more steps than necessary to get the eGPU going. However, the extra steps have helped with reliability when booting into Windows.

These are the basic steps I took for this setup. I’m working on a full detailed Bootcamp eGPU setup guide article in the coming weeks.

• Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS].
  • Install DDU to remove default AMD/Nvidia graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows].
  • Install latest Intel iGPU drivers then create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues [in Windows].
  • Install rEFInd boot manager [in macOS].
  • Mount EFI partition and create a subfolder called “custom” [in macOS].
  • Download and copy apple_set_os.efi into the “custom” folder inside EFI volume [in macOS].
  • Shut MacBook Pro down then connect eGPU to a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port.
  • Hit ENTER on apple_set_os.efi volume at rEFInd screen then boot into Windows [boot selection].
  • Open Device Manager to confirm iGPU and Microsoft Display Adapter are present and active [in Windows].
  • Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].
  • Boot into Windows following apple_set_os.efi at rEFInd boot selection screen.

If all goes well, the base-level TB3 MacBook Pro has transformed into a capable gaming laptop. I did not encounter error 12 at all. In the rare chance you see it, simply disable PCIe Root to the iSight camera will free up enough resources for the eGPU. Here’s the numbers from a mid-2017 non-Touch Bar 13″ MacBook Pro.

eGPU Internal Display eGPU External Display

I also ran it through SteamVR Performance Test

Edited: 2 weeks  ago

Numerous implementation guides

ppm, Calastren, MBAir10 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
August 13, 2017 4:14 pm  

That’s quite a lot of steps, some of which could be quite daunting for folks like myself who are not that tech savvy. Are they really needed because my 2017 MacBook Pro was plug and play?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Calastren
(@calastren)
August 14, 2017 8:07 pm  

I’m still hesitating about getting either a Macbook Pro 13″ Touchbar or non touchbar with a 16gb supp. 

How is your CPU doing while playing ? I’m pretty much scared about the GPU being not that good and upgrade it.

ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)
August 18, 2017 3:54 pm  

Hey, am I missing something or the whole process of using apple_set_os.efi is only needed for 15″ MBP with dGPU that disable iGPU at boot by default? Shouldn’t 13″ MBP enable the iGPU natively?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 18, 2017 4:09 pm  

When booting into operating systems other than Mac OS, the Apple firmware tends to keep the iGPU deactivated. On iGPU-only Macs, sometimes with the presence of the eGPU, iGPU will not show up in Windows.

ReplyQuote
Slugboy
(@slugboy)
August 24, 2017 5:14 pm  

Hello itsage,

thanks so much for the guide. I have been trying for hours now and have followed all steps but am getting into a quandary about a few things.

to confirm I’m mounting the efi, going into finder and putting the efi folder in a folder named custom?

• i can’t get the refind to see the apple set file?

also how necessary is it to set startup disk to windows? Bless tool is preventing me from doing this.

look forward to your response. I have got it working on OS X but bootcamp not yet.

thanks again

chris

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
August 24, 2017 5:25 pm  

Did you try just plugging it in without all these steps? Because that’s how my 2017 13inch mbp worked… fantastic guide as it is but sometimes the simple way can work…

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Slugboy
(@slugboy)
August 24, 2017 5:52 pm  

I tried that, but I have the dreaded error 12 issue, the aorus gaming software doesn’t work and nvidia doesn’t recognise that there is a graphics card attached, but I can see it in devices manager. I ran it on OS X fine but can’t run csgo at 2550 settings on high at a decent frame rate. Going to try and run it on bootcamp next and play alien and a few other aaa to see if it’s any good. So far it’s been a pain in my ass lol. 

ReplyQuote
Slugboy
(@slugboy)
August 24, 2017 9:40 pm  

Ok so I went over everything again and have got some success. I wasn’t installing the correct file in EFI and so wasn’t seeing apple  os boot efi in refind. Got the correct one on and got the gpu booted up and recognised, drivers installed.

in devices manager I have windows display adaptor and the gtx 1070. No drivers are installed for the internal gpu.

it appears games are trying to run on the native gpu and not on the external nvidia one.

any help?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
August 24, 2017 10:02 pm  

I think I had error 12 to start with, I did actually, but while I googled fixes windows self solved. 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 24, 2017 10:13 pm  

@Slugboy it seems you need Intel drivers for the iGPU. –  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers

ReplyQuote
Slugboy
(@slugboy)
August 25, 2017 3:07 pm  

@theitsage you are an absolute legend! Thanks man. Got it running and am able to play alien isolation on 2880 ultra settings, it looks better than I expected!

for anyone with issues just follow itsage guide but remember to install igpu intel drivers back after nvidia has been integrated! 

It truly is possible to game on a mac! Im call my brother and tell him that I have achieved what he thought was impossible!

im stoked, nearly was defeated by this box, it wasn’t running right and as we know mac ports of games don’t run as good as the windows counter parts. If all continues to run as it should I may have an internal hard drive dedicated to windows and leave my external one for OS X. 

Much love and respect to this community.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 25, 2017 3:30 pm  

I’m very glad to hear it’s finally working. We’d love to see pictures of your eGPU setup and implementation guide.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
August 25, 2017 3:31 pm  

Yep, pics please, also, hooray for this forum and it’s knowledgeable mods…

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
August 25, 2017 3:39 pm  

It’s surreal sometimes to see a Mac laptop playing the latest PC games. I was at Starbucks the other night to sell an unused graphics card. I lugged along the Razer Core and 13″ MBP. The guy who was buying the GPU was amazed when I demoed the eGPU to show the GPU I’m selling was working well.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
August 25, 2017 3:43 pm  

HA HA I bet! I was pretty blown away by the performance on my 13 inch MacBook when connected to a 1060… playing all the game I own (ok, apart from PUBG) on High-Ultra. I built a hackitosh and while its pretty stable and reliable (I have used it for work) its not a patch on a real Mac experience wise…

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Honorable Member Moderator
August 25, 2017 6:57 pm  

Not very on-topic, but: I’ve used my eGPU setups (both EC and TB2) at work to demo some non-video card uses (I was showcasing some debug capabilities on our devices and I did not want to drag a desktop system to various meeting rooms just so I could plug in a PCIe card, plus my dev machine has all the tools already installed). These things really get very curious looks, especially at a technology company. A few people had BPlus Expresscard adapters ordered via work to use them in a similar way (and get rid of extra desktops in their workspace) – Apparently there’s still enough Lenovos to go around to keep the connector alive 🙂

Edited: 6 months  ago

"Dire Wolf II" - HP ZBook 15 G4: Core i7-7820HQ, 32GB, M1200 dGPU, R9 Fury@32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) eGPU, HP Z27q (5K) + Dell P2715Q (4K)
"Timber Wolf" - HP Spectre x360: Core i7-8550U, 16GB, GTX1050Ti@16Gbps-TB3>TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2), Dell U3011
"Stormcrow" - Lenovo T430s: Core i7-3520M, 8GB, GTX750Ti@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) eGPU, Sony 4K TV
"Phoenix Hawk" - Intel NUC 33217CK: Core i3-3217U, 8GB, GTX670@4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Linux Mint 18.2 (64-bit)

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
vitas_TS
(@vitas_ts)
August 25, 2017 7:21 pm  

I like it. Good job

ReplyQuote
fooliecooly
(@fooliecooly)
August 28, 2017 9:00 pm  

Hi there, were you able to flash the H2D update for the EGPU via bootcamp? I am trying to figure that out, the tool will not work.

ReplyQuote
(@curtis_wahlfeld)
August 30, 2017 12:15 pm  

Hey theitsage thanks for the guide. It’s pretty technical for me and I found there are a few gaps in between steps so I was hoping you could check that I’ve done the right thing. 

The issue I have is that Windows doesn’t detect the eGPU at all. I have an Aorus Gaming Box.

I’ll go through each one of your steps below with some details on what I did:

Install Windows 10 ISO through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS]

– done

Install DDU to remove default AMD/Nvidia graphics drivers and disable Windows automated GPU driver installation [in Windows]

– done

Install latest Intel iGPU drivers then create a manual Restore point just in case there’s boot up issues [in Windows].

– done

Install rEFInd boot manager [in macOS].

– This one was tricky. I found that the link you provided was a bit full on so I Googled it and found this link which was a bit easier to follow. 

Mount EFI partition and create a subfolder called “custom” [in macOS].

– Again, didn’t know what you meant so I followed this guide.

Download and copy apple_set_os.efi into the “custom” folder inside EFI volume [in macOS].

Shut MacBook Pro down then connect eGPU to a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port.

Hit ENTER on apple_set_os.efi volume at rEFInd screen then boot into Windows [boot selection].

– Just with these steps, I found that I needed to go to “releases” in order to find the apple_set_os.efi file. See my screenshot which shows where I put the file. Also, see here and here which shows the icon showing up in refind. The second screenshot just shows this text that appears for a split second when I press enter on it, and then nothing happens … not sure if that’s the right behaviour. Anyways, after that I boot into Windows.

Open Device Manager to confirm iGPU and Microsoft Display Adapter are present and active [in Windows].

– My internal GPU is present (Intel), but no Microsoft Display Adapter … or GTX 1070.

Install Nvidia graphics drivers then restart [in Windows].

– Can’t do because eGPU is not detected.

Boot into Windows following apple_set_os.efi at rEFInd boot selection screen.

– Can’t do because eGPU is not detected.

Any helps would be appreciated,

Curtis

EDIT

Ok so I’ve gotten it working. I had to unplug the eGPU power cable and basically make sure it was completely powered down before it would be detected in Windows again when I plugged it back in. After that, I was experiencing some really weird driver behaviour. If I plugged the

I had to unplug the eGPU power cable and basically make sure it was completely powered down before it would be detected in Windows again when I plugged it back in. After that, I was experiencing some really weird driver behaviour. If I plugged the eGPU into another T3 port the OS would freeze up, go blue and then crash. Couple restarts later and a different T3 port, the OS detected the eGPU and said error 12. Device manager said I needed to restart to fix error 12 so I did, and then everything worked perfectly from there.

I’m going to write up my own version of your guide theitsage, but in r/eGPU/ on Reddit. I’ll link back to this post for credit. The difference is I’ll include a bunch of screenshots/images and a few other things I’ve learnt in my experience that I think less technical people would appreciate. Thanks again for your guide!

EDIT2

Here’s the post in r/eGPU/ on Reddit.

Edited: 6 months  ago

ReplyQuote
kundahli
(@kundahli)
August 30, 2017 5:25 pm  
Posted by: fooliecooly

Hi there, were you able to flash the H2D update for the EGPU via bootcamp? I am trying to figure that out, the tool will not work.

I had this issue as well and would be curious if @theitsage has found a workaround.

ReplyQuote
(@a_thibault)
September 25, 2017 12:48 pm  

Hey, would this guide work on a 2016 13″ MBP with touchbar and 4 slots ? My Aorus box recently stopped working so i’m uninstalling everything and trying to do a new clean install..

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Noble Member Admin
September 25, 2017 1:33 pm  

@A Thibault, it should. You can reference my detailed Boot Camp setup guide for Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro.

ReplyQuote
(@a_thibault)
October 19, 2017 7:05 pm  

Hey again thx for your answer. I’ve got it working for a couple weeks then my windows updated himself to Creator update and it doesnt work anymore. I’ve tried reinstalling a fresh win10 and everything but now i have a code 31 error and no gtx detected :/

ReplyQuote
a2daj
(@a2daj)
October 30, 2017 9:52 pm  

I have this guide’s exact same hardware config and one thing I noticed with the AGB is that I occasionally need to completely unplug the AGB power cable when the card isn’t been detected. This sometimes happens after a reboot or a cold start. So what I do when that happens is:

* Shutdown the computer
* Unplug every TB3 cable from the computer.
* Unplug the AGB power cable and wait a few seconds
* (optional) Unplug the TB3 cable from AGB
* Plug in the AGP power cable
* Plug in the TB3 cable if you previously unplugged it
* Plug in any non-AGP TB3 device. I have an external TB2 case with which includes an SSD with my Windows games.
* Plug in the AGP to the MBP and wait for it to start up.
* Go through normal boot procedures with rEFInd.

ReplyQuote
iJarbus
(@ijarbus)
February 8, 2018 4:50 am  

I just followed this guide and got it all working but now when I go back into MacOS if there is nothing moving on the screen the desktop shows a flashing Windows logo. Any ideas what might be causing something like this.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register