2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 + GTX1080@32Gbps (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [ Flyer]^  

Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
December 12, 2017 11:00 pm  

Unigine Heaven 2
Unigine Heaven
Cuda Z Performance with H2D

Thanks all. 

I read through various posts on this site and decided to press ahead and purchase a new ultrabook and eGPU.

I’m not familiar with the software needed to post results, so may need post my installation experience in steps.

1) Want to run high-end flight simulator software, so started shopping for new laptop to replace old ultra-book.

2) Didn’t want a heavy gaming laptop.  After reading about 8th-gen quad-core ultra-books, I purchased a Yoga 920 (w/ 1TB drive) directly from Lenovo (Best Buy only stocked models 512MB drives).  The Yoga 920’s Thunderbolt 3 slots are on the left side, which was important to me for eGPU use as I like the mouse and 2nd monitor on the right side and the eGPU cables appear to be short to maximize bandwidth & power.  I had read the 920 also had x4 PCIe and GT4 OPI, which sounded good even though I’m a bit clueless re: tech jargon.

3) Bought the 1080 gaming box from Amazon.  Loved the small half-card size (the Sonnet Puck power brick makes that solution less portable than is obvious from pics of the puck).  The Square Trade 4-year Protection Plan was much cheaper than the Square Trade protection plan offered by Newegg.  Frys Electronics is currently only selling the 1070.  I also purchased  home installation and scheduled for a couple days after delivery in case I ran into problems and/or needed to justify a return, but the home installation is cancellable with refund if 24-hours notice is provided….so I expect to cancel it soon given my successful installation.

3) Updated BIOS to version 5NCN29WW (released 2017/10/17) using Lenovo’s Service Bridge.  The Service Bridge suggested no other updates required.  The Lenovo site showed latest Thunderbolt driver as version 17.1.64.250 (release date 2017/9/10)

4) After reading this eGPU.io thread I updated Intel Thunderbolt driver to version 17.2.71.250 via the Intel site.  I didn’t know how to check my current version.

5)  Reran Lenovo Service Bridge and it suggested I download and install Lenovo’s old Thunderbolt driver, which I ignored.

6) I read that some Yoga 920 folks had trouble with bit-locker upon post eGPU installation reboot, so I copied down the encryption key.

7) I followed Aorus Installation Guide to the letter.  It was quick and smooth up until final reboot.

8) Upon reboot, a blue screen said I needed to enter bit-locker encryption key.  As I looked for my notes, the laptop went to sleep.  When awoken, it booted to Windows log-in screen without needing the key.  Haven’t yet mapped when the encryption key will, or will not, be an issue.  Another thread I saw suggested this may only be an issue when booting with the eGPU attached.

9) I’m up and running with the gaming box now, and will look for Cuda software and whatever other benchmark folks might like to see.

10) The fans are audible, but very soft from my perspective and not of concern…I was expecting worse based on other posts…but I haven’t launched any games yet so perhaps noisier then.

Edited: 5 days  ago

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
December 14, 2017 8:48 pm  

Follow-up:

The video performance is superb.  Fan noise is acceptable.  I haven’t seen any problems with the USB connections at the back of the box. 

The gaming box is finicky, however, when it comes time to disconnect or put the laptop into standby or hibernate mode.  I’m still trying different approaches, but am finding blank screens upon trying to get the laptop up and running again, leading to reboots.

The Aorus Installation Guide says:  “Before you re-plug the Thunderbolt cable, please wait until the Thunderbolt disconnected sound is planed and Thunderbolt icon in the notification area is disappeared.  If the PC can’t recognize the Thunderbolt device, please restart the system.”   …but I haven’t figured out how to get the sound yet.

Another glitch:  The “Silent Mode” in the Auros Graphics Engine control panel is not selectable, and I’d like to turn down the card when not gaming.

Recommendations most welcome!   Thanks.

Edited: 2 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Drizzt_Sama
(@drizzt_sama)
December 14, 2017 11:08 pm  

Hi,

Is your laptop running i7-8550u? I bought Dell XPS with it and I am not sure if it’s better to buy separate PC or just eGPU. My laptop is running only 2 lanes of PCIe, but it shouldn’t be a big issue when I will use external monitor. Are you playing any MMO games like Black Desert Online? I am wondering about the FPS you are getting.

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
December 15, 2017 5:20 pm  
Posted by: Drizzt_Sama

Hi,

Is your laptop running i7-8550u? I bought Dell XPS with it and I am not sure if it’s better to buy separate PC or just eGPU. My laptop is running only 2 lanes of PCIe, but it shouldn’t be a big issue when I will use external monitor. Are you playing any MMO games like Black Desert Online? I am wondering about the FPS you are getting.

I haven’t run any games other than Lockheed Martin’s P3Dv4 flight simulator, but this video shows the FPS for a bunch of games for the Auros 1070 box.  The newer Auros 1080 box is obviously faster.  Yes, the Yoga 920 has an i7-8550U.  Unless you’re looking for absolute top-of-the-line performance, I’d just get a good eGPU instead of buying another PC given you already have a quad-core CPU.

ReplyQuote
Drizzt_Sama
(@drizzt_sama)
December 16, 2017 6:26 pm  

I’ve seen it. Sadly it doesn’t help me with anything, because his CPU is way worse. I am not sure if Thunderbolt or CPU was bottleneck for him.

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
December 18, 2017 5:31 pm  
Posted by: Drizzt_Sama

I’ve seen it. Sadly it doesn’t help me with anything, because his CPU is way worse. I am not sure if Thunderbolt or CPU was bottleneck for him.

If you’d like, I can run a Unigine benchmark at the settings you prefer, but I don’t have any games to check FPS.

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
December 25, 2017 5:31 pm  

Another update:  I didn’t figure out how to hot swap the gaming box, so after use, I just shut down the laptop and then unplug.   When I want to use the gaming box, I plug it in after booting up the laptop to avoid the bit locker query.   Other than this, the egpu performs very well in my opinion.  Relatively faint fan noise isn’t a problem at all for me.

B. van Luijk liked
ReplyQuote
(@borrek_)
December 27, 2017 1:35 pm  

Can you run firestrike benchmark in 1080p (or 1440k if possible), both with external monitor and when using laptop screen?

I would love to see results!

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
December 28, 2017 1:50 am  
Posted by: borrek_

Can you run firestrike benchmark in 1080p (or 1440k if possible), both with external monitor and when using laptop screen?

I would love to see results!

Hey.

First time using 3DMark, so this took some time to download, figure out and screen shot.

Not sure I was able to set the resolution correctly.  Note in the screenshots that the resolution didn’t match the 1080p & 1440p settings I tried to run.

All runs:  Auros Graphic Engine default “OC Mode” preset selected.  All runs said “valid score”, even though I mistakenly cropped that out of the first two sets of screen shots.

Run #1:  Selected 1080p under 3DMark options, then ran Fire Strike on only the laptop 4k screen (external monitor disabled).

Fire Strike OC mode laptop 1080p pg 2
Fire Strike OC mode laptop 1080p pg 1

Run #2: Selected 1080p under 3DMark options, then ran Fire Strike on only an external 4k screen (laptop screen disabled).

Fire Strike OC mode external screen 1080p pg 3
Fire Strike OC mode external screen 1080p pg 2
Fire Strike OC mode external screen 1080p pg 1

Run #3:  Selected 1440p under 3DMark options, then ran Fire Strike on only an external 4k screen (laptop screen disabled).

Fire Strike OC mode external screen 1440p pg 2
Fire Strike OC mode external screen 1440p pg 1

Hopefully this is helpful. 

I haven’t gamed in years & am not familiar with benchmarks or current systems…is this portable combo worthy of serious gaming with today’s popular titles?  Does the lower “physics” FPS indicated the combo is CPU limited?

ReplyQuote
tarnax10
(@tarnax10)
January 3, 2018 9:02 pm  

I looked up firestrike scores by GPU, and your setup with the external screen seems to be slightly below the GTX 1060 3GB in terms of overall performance.  Comparing the Physics scores shows that most of the setups running the 1060 had 90-120% higher scores (other’s 15-16k vs your 7.2k), leading me to believe that the CPU is a rather significant bottleneck compared to a system with similar performance.  Comparing your graphics scores with other systems running a 1080 shows a drop of 30-40% (~24k vs 17.5k), some of which can be attributed to thunderbolt overhead.

Your system is perfectly good for gaming, and the more graphically demanding the game is, the better it will perform comparatively.  However, the CPU is certainly the bottleneck.

I do have a few questions; I have noticed that the 920 tends to run very cool (around 72 degrees under synthetic load), and I am curious if it is possible to raise the thermal limits of the notebook in the bios.  Higher thermal limits combined with an external laptop cooler may allow sustained boost clocks to go from 2.3 Ghz to 2.6Ghz, which is a good boost for a system that is CPU limited.  The Dell XPS 13 manages to keep 2.5Ghz under synthetic loads, but temperatures hit 90+ degrees (which I honestly wish to emulate, since in a gaming setup the laptop will not be on my lap, making temperature an unnecessary concern as long as components aren’t being damaged).

If you happen to have a Torx screwdriver, could you also possibly open up the 920 and see if the CPU cooler can be removed without voiding the warranty? From what I have seen, manufacturers tend to use mid-tier thermal compound that limits cooling performance (and thus sustained boost clocks).  Changing it out for higher quality thermal compound might improve temps by 3-8 degrees, depending on the quality of the compound from the OEM.

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
January 10, 2018 7:18 am  

Thanks Tarnax. 

Sounds like this combo isn’t as powerful as I had maybe thought.  Surprised that the 1080 doesn’t behave more like a 1080 given the Yoga’s x4 lanes and the external-monitor-only configuration. 

I took a look at the BIOS settings, and nothing is available re: temp or fan settings.  ..and I’m afraid I don’t want to open up the machine, sorry.  🙁   I’ll just take what I got. 

Almost perfect, but, had one been released, would’ve taken a slightly heavier Thunderbolt3 Ultrabook with more cooling and the i7-8650.

Did you see this?:  https://egpu.io/forums/implementation-guides/for-the-giggles-titan-v/

Edited: 1 month  ago

ReplyQuote
tarnax10
(@tarnax10)
January 11, 2018 6:34 am  

Firestrike scores are at 1080p, Firestrike Extreme at 1440p, and Firestrike Ultra is 4K, so I cannot compare your scores, since they are running at different resolutions (what you did was run a 1080p benchmark upscaled to 4K, not a native 4K benchmark).  Honestly, it isn’t surprising to me that the 1080 is underperforming, since it is working with a rather underpowered CPU and the thunderbolt link limitations. In addition, your 1080 cannot really be compared to the 1080s that are running most of the firestrike benchmarks, as yours has worse cooling performance and thus significantly lower overclocking, but as long as your setup does what you want, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

I looked more into what software is available for Lenovo to control fans and power . Try out the Lenovo Settings app (from the Lenovo website), as it might be able to up your thermal limits and fan speed.

Edited: 1 month  ago

ReplyQuote
TheArtist
(@theartist)
January 13, 2018 9:14 pm  

Hi, 

I’m running the same setup as you and was wondering if you have noticed that when plugging in the gaming box if the trackpad loses multitouch functionality (2 figure scroll, touch to click, etc.) If so, have you found a work-around? Thank you

ReplyQuote
davidliu9518
(@davidliu9518)
January 20, 2018 12:17 am  

Hi,

I recently bought a Yoga 920 and a HP Omen Enclosure. The EGPU dose not charge my laptop, and it only works on port 2 when laptop is connected to power on port 1. If I use port 1 instead it goes to blue screen. Is your EGPU charges the laptop when you use it?

thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@david_ding)
February 1, 2018 11:43 pm  

Hi,
would you please help me to know your yoga 920’s bios version? I have same setting with you, it works perfect with my 1080 aorus gaming box until I update bios where I download at Lenovo webite for version of 5NCN36WW… now once I plug in, the unplug sound appear suddenly after the sound of recognizing… it confuses me and is anyone can help to trouble shoot that…

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
February 2, 2018 1:52 am  
Posted by: TheArtist

Hi, 

I’m running the same setup as you and was wondering if you have noticed that when plugging in the gaming box if the trackpad loses multitouch functionality (2 figure scroll, touch to click, etc.) If so, have you found a work-around? Thank you

Hi.  I haven’t had any issues with my trackpad.  I do still have issues when plugging and unplugging the Auros, so I fully shut down my laptop before unplugging it, and fully boot-up the laptop before plugging it in.  It still gets confused sometimes, requiring reboot.

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
February 2, 2018 1:54 am  
Posted by: davidliu9518

Hi,

I recently bought a Yoga 920 and a HP Omen Enclosure. The EGPU dose not charge my laptop, and it only works on port 2 when laptop is connected to power on port 1. If I use port 1 instead it goes to blue screen. Is your EGPU charges the laptop when you use it?

thanks!

Yes, I connect the Auros to the port closest to the screen, and it charges the laptop.

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
February 2, 2018 2:07 am  

I mentioned in my original post:

“Updated BIOS to version 5NCN29WW (released 2017/10/17) using Lenovo’s Service Bridge. “

I’m still running this BIOS, and Lenovo Service Bridge does not prompt me to update to your version.  Maybe you could call Lenovo and ask how to roll back to 5NCN29WW?

ReplyQuote
(@david_ding)
February 2, 2018 2:43 am  

called, after 1 hour waiting and as per they instructed, cannot go back to previous version… it is ridiculous… I feel I am so stupid now… 

ReplyQuote
(@david_ding)
February 2, 2018 3:49 am  

just wondering could you please help me to check and confirm if your BIOS Version is same with eh EC version by rebooting the laptop and press F2 ? I appreciate it and thank you very much!

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
February 2, 2018 4:26 am  
Posted by: David Ding

just wondering could you please help me to check and confirm if your BIOS Version is same with eh EC version by rebooting the laptop and press F2 ? I appreciate it and thank you very much!

Yes, see attached

bios

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
February 15, 2018 7:26 pm  
Cuda Z Core 2
Cuda Z Performance with H2D 2
Cuda Z Memory 2

ReplyQuote

Working