2018 macbook pro 13" base model runs hot and loud with an external 4k display  

RSS
feiprofessor
(@feiprofessor)

I connect my 2018 macbook pro 13" to a 4k display. While playing 4k video on youtube, my macbook pro fans start to get loud and the CPU temp went up to 90 c
Will connecting 4k display to egpu fix this issue?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2018 5:26 pm
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Trusted Member

In MacOS, most likely not.  Are you using google chrome to view 4k videos in youtube?  At 1440p and 4k youtube uses a video codec called VP9.  All current gen graphics chips (including intel hd/iris plus) has dedicated hardware to decode vp9.  Unfortunately Apple does not provide a means for this hardware to be accessed in macOS.  iOS and the Apple TV cannot play 1440p or 4k youtube video at all.  In Chrome on MacOS 1440p and 4k youtube video is decoded in software using the cpu only.  Even an i7 2018 13 inch MacBook Pro uses about 70 percent of available cpu capacity decoding 4k 60fps YouTube videos in chrome.  In windows VP9 decode is supported in the drivers so the cpu usage is negligible and power consumption is very low.  I believe Apple recently joined the committee to establish a next generation video codec standard, so in the distant future this should be less of an issue.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2018 9:26 pm feiprofessor liked
feiprofessor
(@feiprofessor)

Oh, I've never aware of that. I do use chrome to watch it.  Thanks a lot for your help

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2018 1:36 pm