2019 16-inch MacBook Pro clamshell boot workaround?

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro clamshell boot workaround?  

RSS

The_Livy
(@the_livy)
Eminent Member

Hello everyone,

yesterday I received my new 16-inch MacBook Pro and have to say, I'm astonished by how well my GTX 1060 3GB eGPU works with this machine. It was literally plug&play out of the box. I noticed some weird behavior that the eGPU gets booted when holding option on boot to get to boot select, which appears as if Apple forgot to disable some eGPU activation in EFI for NVidia cards. However, the reason I'm writing here is a different one: Until today I haven't found a single issue with this laptop and my eGPU setup. Sadly this was only due to me not putting it into it's stand yesterday and trying to boot it up. Apparently Apple removed that feature the older MacBooks had, that it would boot if power was connected and a connection to an external display was present. While my 2017 13-inch MBP_TB simply starts booting under those circumstances (even with closed lid), the 16-inch MBP sadly won't decide to do so. Weirdly enough, Apple decided to make it boot when you press which ever key on the keyboard, or click on the trackpad (instead of disabling it, like on the old one) instead of only when the lid is closed and reopened, or the power button/TouchID button was pressed, basically rendering TouchID - to function as a button - redundant.

Since I have limited space and basically need to have my MacBook in a vertical stand with my eGPU and display connected to have it work as an eGPU host at all, I would like to ask around if any of the 16-inch owners out there have found a reasonable, small footprint workaround yet for still keeping an equal functionality, or maybe even some terminal/setting hack to make it act like previous MacBooks used to?

How to undervolt your GPU

2017 13-inch MacBook Pro TB
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (EVGA GTX1060 3G) - silent mod #1
Aorus Gaming Box 1080 (standing by for use) - silent mod #2 (TBD)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @the_livy

Weirdly enough, Apple decided to make it boot when you press which ever key on the keyboard, or click on the trackpad (instead of disabling it, like on the old one) instead of only when the lid is closed and reopened, or the power button/TouchID button was pressed, basically rendering TouchID - to function as a button - redundant.

This has been the case for all T2 Macs (since 2018). I filed a suggestion to Apple to enable clamshell boots which they did in some later release of Mojave. It’s useful especially for updates when system restarts. Sadly with Catalina that feature is gone. I’ve seen it do it sometimes (maybe just during some updates), but in most cases, it doesn’t. 

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote