General Discussions
Aorus 2070 Gaming Box is finnicky- Help for a beginner

Aorus 2070 Gaming Box is finnicky- Help for a beginner  

RSS

blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

Hello all, 

I just got my Aorus 2070 gaming box today and I'm super excited as it is my first eGPU. I have it hooked up to Matebook X Pro (I know, only 2 PCI lanes) and a 1080p external monitor that I will upgrade to 1440p soon. Pic here if interested; also showing off the laptop stand that I 3d printed 🙂  

I plugged the eGPU in and updated all my nvidia drivers, but the gaming box still acts a little finnicky. The eGPU and 2070 get detected as I see it on CPU-ID, the GeForce app and HWiNFO64, but it doesn't always work when I plug it in- sometimes I have to unplug and replug the TB3 cable a few times for it to connect. I've only tried playing one game so far- Overwatch, just on the external display. I configured the laptop not to turn off when closed it if it is plugged in so I could only have one external going while I game, and the internal display turned off. After about a minute it froze and crashed the laptop. When I rebooted the eGPU wouldn't connect no matter how many times I tried to plug the TB3 in. Plugging in TB3 would turn on a single fan within the eGPU but the LEDs wouldn't turn on or the big eGPU fan. When plugging in I would hear the sound Windows makes when a peripheral is plugged in, and then immediately the sound of it being removed. Frustrated, I unplugged the TB3, rebooted my computer, pulled the power plug from the eGPU, replugged, then put the TB3 cord in the laptop. Now it's working again. 

This is just altogether very finnicky. Is there anything I'm forgetting to do that could be causing this? Is there a software tinker I need to do to optimize the eGPU or is it just an issue of the Matebook X Pro not being able to handle the eGPU? I read that the 2 express lanes can be troublesome but only if you try to game on the internal display, or have an external and internal going at the same time while you game on the external. I didn't expecting crashing when I played Overwatch just on the external display with the internal turned off. Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any thoughts!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@nikunj_nik)

I am in the same boat as you . Here is what I do. I shut down my laptop completely. Unplug Thunderbolt from Laptop. Disconnect power supply for AORUS. Then I plug them all in and boot my laptop. It seems to be working for me. Believe it or not for some reason it does not even like one of my wall power sockets for some apparent reason , go figure ... 🙂 !

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
blerghcity
(@blerghcity)
Eminent Member

@nikunj_nik thanks for the tip! I was actually able to get the Gaming Box 2070 to reliably boot after I figured out the power cycling protocol. However I will very likely return the box (or sell it here) because it just doesn't get a long with my Matebook X Pro. I installed the updated NVIDIA drivers, updated AORUS firmware for GPU performance and adjusted the advanced power settings to not restrict power to PCI lanes when plugged in but I have yet to play a single game without crashing the game or getting BSOD within a few minutes. 

The laptop has an 8550U chip with only 2 PCI lanes for TB3, but I know of several other users who have used the chip even on this gaming box who have still gotten it to work. I suspect it may be something with the Matebook X Pro specifically working with this device. It's a shame because I really like the box and the laptop, they just don't work together 🙁 Maybe I'll upgrade to the 2019 Matebook when it comes out this summer as it has a 4-lane port; then try an eGPU.  

ReplyQuote
(@nikunj_nik)

You can upgrade maybe to get around the BSOD issues but as other members noticed there is not that much gain between a 2 lane vs 4 lanes. I am also in two minds about this box.. I will play some games and see whether I get the same BSOD issues as well. All my time till now  was spent on overclocking and benchmarks .

ReplyQuote
(@yang_li)

I got the same problem with my x1 extreme and aorus rtx2070 gaming box. The laptop just randomly got crashed on games or even with chrome. I tried to contact Gigabyte support, but they just suggested me to replace the TB 3 cable or return the box. I am tired with trying different drivers and firmware. Maybe it’s time to return it..

ReplyQuote