General Discussions
Are we expecting any differences for the 2017 MBP?

Are we expecting any differences for the 2017 MBP?  

RSS

Atty
 Atty
(@atty)

I just picked up my 2017 15'' MacBook Pro and am waiting to build my eGPU box until later this year unless I get a wild hair and get the developer kit from Apple. 

I'm wondering if I can expect any issues or any differences from the 2017 model versus the 2016? All my research seems positive, I am not too exciting about the 10-20% performance loss compared to a PC but its doable and will support my gaming needs. I just want to make sure I'm not going to end up worst off, but I also understand there may not be any information on it because its such a new device. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

My outlook is mostly positive as well. If I recall correctly, setting up AMD external graphics on the 2016 notebooks (except 13" touchbar) was not really a possibility (due to firmware incompatibility) on Sierra. This has changed with High Sierra, and your brand-new MBP should be no exception.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Ok buy the new Macbook 15` 2017 still work now with eGPU on both Windows and MacOS with current Macos + Goalque's script right?

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

10.12 requires automate-eGPU script or eGPU-enabler in macOS. I’m not sure if the Boot ROM in these mid-2017 Macs will make it more challenging.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Yeah I'm excited to hear about someone that bought the 2017 😀

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

ReplyQuote