EGPU breaking other USB devices warning! R43SG + MSI GS60 6QE

Notifications
Clear all

EGPU breaking other USB devices warning! R43SG + MSI GS60 6QE  

RSS

SnazyMgeez
(@snazymgeez)

Thought I'd write a warning to anyone considering an EGPU with either of these devices.

After a lot of effort, time and money setting this up it seems that it destroys other USB devices that are connected to the laptop.

I had a mouse's right click die on me so decided to order myself a nice new Razer mouse. At the same time, I had given up with my egpu. I had managed to get it all working and it showed promising benchmarks, but for the games I play, there didn't seem to be much if any difference.

I did decide to give my egpu another shot though and jumped into a game. Straight away I noticed my mouse button acting up again on my new mouse, and my heart sank. I've uninstalled all the drivers etc, tested the mouse on another laptop and the same issue is happening. It can't seem to hold down the right click, with it randomly clicking while held. So upsetting.

I believe it is something to do with the power running through the egpu and laptop destroying other connected USB devices. I am unsure if it's to do with the R43SG or the laptop (I am inclined to believe it's the laptop as MSI seem to be unable to make good quality laptops, many issues with them on their forums).

Has anyone had any similar issues with their mouse or other USB devices?

MSI GS60 6QE
ADT-Link R43SG-TB3
RX 580

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

If the right click dies, then all the clicks should die the same way... You said the second mouse was a Razer. What was the first? Did you say the mice stopped working on other computers that don't use an eGPU?

The R43SG is not a USB device, so I don't know what you mean by "other USB devices".

Does the R43SG get 3.3V from the ATX power, or from the M.2 like the other R34* cables?

My eGPU has an M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter that get's 3.3V power from external 12V (has extra voltage regulator that most M.2 to PCIe x4 adapters don't have).
https://www.microsatacables.com/pci-e-1x-4x-card-to-m.2-m-key-4-lane-pcie-slot-adapter-m2-921-1x4x

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
SnazyMgeez
(@snazymgeez)

@joevt, Sorry I forgot to mention I am connected through Thunderbolt on the laptop. So it's the R43SG, with the M.2 to Thunderbolt adapter.

The first mouse was a generic cheap gaming mouse which had served me well. The right mouse click is unable to hold (randomly clicks) after being used alongside the eGPU, and now on any computer with or without the eGPU.

Thinking it could be a driver issue, I reinstalled all it's drivers but with no result. I then tested the mouse on a different computer (the computer and mouse haven't been connected before) and the same issue was happening, so it's definitely an issue within the mouse.

You're right in thinking all the clicks should die, but strangely that's not the case here.

After a long search last night and this morning I found some information regarding a static charge build up within the mouse. I will investigate this further and report my results.

Thanks!

MSI GS60 6QE
ADT-Link R43SG-TB3
RX 580

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

A wired mouse or a wireless mouse? What's the exact model of the mouse?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
SnazyMgeez
(@snazymgeez)

My mouse is a Razer Mamba Wireless 2018, however I use it wired.

So I believe I have solved what has happened to both my mice. It turns out it was a static charge build up that had formed under the sensor of the right mouse click which causes erratic behavior. The way to fix this was to simply blow underneath the misbehaving button, and the moisture from your breathe is said to discharge this build up.

All sounds a bit risqué I know, but having tested it 2 days, my mouse is back to normal (took several attempts over a day to return to normal) and I haven't connected my eGPU since.

Now the question is, could this static charge build up caused from the eGPU effect other USB devices plugged into the laptop and how. Sounds very harmful especially to storage devices.

I shall further research this, but if anyone has any thoughts please chime in.

✌️

This post was modified 3 months ago

MSI GS60 6QE
ADT-Link R43SG-TB3
RX 580

ReplyQuote
MrEpiclesis
(@mrepiclesis)

@snazymgeez, I plan to use the R43SG adapter (the one without TB3 because I wont use it I think... I just want to plug my RTX2080 and keep the storage as it is) on my GS60 6QE and I found your post... and this is a little scary. Since your last update on the subject, did you encounter the problem another time or everything is ok ?

And, I have another question, because you made a GS60 + R43SG setup : I looked at a disassembly of the GS60, the M2 port is located under the motherboard, how did you manage to plug the adapter and pass the cable from the inside to the outiside of the Laptop ? Maybe you have a picture of your setup to share ? (I wanted to PM you on this subject but since I'm new on this forum I can't write private messages :().

Thanks !

MSI GS60 6QE

ReplyQuote