eGPU Radeon 5700 XT showing up as 5600 XT?

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU Radeon 5700 XT showing up as 5600 XT?  

RSS

scooterD3
(@scooterd3)

Hi, I posted this on the Apple forums as well, but I figured I would post the same message here as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I just got an XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT for my MacBook Pro. Specifically, this card here: https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Triple-Dissipation-Graphics-RX-57XT83LD8/dp/B087J3KM2X/

However, when I check the icon at the top, it shows I have a Radeon RX 5600 XT plugged in.

Screen Shot 2020 06 09 at 3.59.02 PM

According to Apple's own page ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544), this card IS in fact supported and even recommended by Apple (not specifically the XFX version, but I haven't found any information that is really makes much of a difference on brand).

I also checked my system specs to see how much VRAM this card has, as it is supposed to have 8GB according to the specifications. So I checked that, and it appears to have only 6GB of VRAM.

Screen Shot 2020 06 09 at 4.01.45 PM

What is going on here? For intents and purposes, it looks exactly like XFX took a 5600 XT and slapped a 5700 XT sticker on the side of it. The serial number on the card, according to XFX, brings up a model number of "RX-57XT83LD8". Judging by that, it looks like it SHOULD definitely be a 5700.

My question is this, is there a lack of driver support on this card, and MacOS is simply choosing the driver that works best with this card? Or did XFX try to pull a fast one on me and send me a sub-par card?

If anybody has a similar experience or the exact same setup as me, that would be great to hear your thoughts as well. This is what I SHOULD have:

Graphics Card: XFX RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation

eGPU Enclosure: Razer Core X

Edit: updated pictures

This topic was modified 8 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Was this card arrived in new condition? If you bought it from a retailer, return it for an exchange or refund. The system doesn't lie but stickers can.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
scooterD3
(@scooterd3)

@itsage, Nope. Bought perfectly new, and also bought from the XFX amazon account (not from a secondary retailer on amazon that is selling the XFX cards)

Edit: sorry, I thought you asked if it was used. The answer is no, it was purchased as a new card, from XFX amazon account.

This post was modified 8 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@scooterd3, best to contact the seller, XFX on Amazon and have them exchange it for the right item.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

scooterD3 liked
ReplyQuote
scooterD3
(@scooterd3)

Hello!

I wanted to post that I got my situation resolved.

I reached out to XFX in addition to here, and here is what they said:

"A BIOS issue could potentially cause something like this, this card has a secondary BIOS on it, near the PCI-E power connections is a little switch, try flipping that."

I flipped the switch, and voila! It's reading as a 5700 XT now as it should. That switch must have gotten switched by accident, either during shipping or by me without realizing it. Super easy fix. If anybody else has this problem, try this first. (The switch is small and black right next to the power connections. Should be very easy to spot).

Anyways, thanks for the help and assistance!

ReplyQuote