GeForce RTX 3090 with triple 8pin and Razer X Chroma

Notifications
Clear all

GeForce RTX 3090 with triple 8pin and Razer X Chroma  

RSS

Michael Miller
(@michael_miller)

I have a Asus GeForce RTX 3090 GPU which has a triple 8 pin connector on the card.  I just bought the Razer X Chroma - which only has a double 8pin connection for power...do I need a different case?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
NessLookAlike
(@nesslookalike)

Howdy 😎 I also have a triple-connector 3090 and Razer Core X Chroma, and found myself in a similar situation. You have a few options:

1. An 8-pin to dual 8-pin adapter, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JR4H3N . You're definitely going to experience power throttling though, so abandon all hopes of overclocking, lol.
  2. An external PSU that you hook up to the 3090 (and/or the other Core X Chroma power connections), although if you go this route don't forget to turn off the external PSU power supply when you turn off the Core X Chroma power switch, as the external PSU will continue powering the 3090 even with the Core X Chroma turned off, and your 3090 could overheat/become damaged.
  3. Replace the internal Core X Chroma PSU with something like the CORSAIR SF750. This is the route I'm taking.
This post was modified 1 month ago

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3090 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 2004 [build link TBD]

ReplyQuote