General Discussions
Help! I upgraded my laptop GPU and it gives me a black screen! (Elitebook 8770w)

Help! I upgraded my laptop GPU and it gives me a black screen! (Elitebook 8770w)  

RSS

TKRT
 TKRT
(@tkrt)

So my old ZBook Died and I had this laptop around, so I decided to change the gpu from the ZBook to the 8770w,

it gives me a black screen on my laptop but with backlight.

GPU gives video only via VGA as I tested

Laptop wont boot unless I plug in a VGA screen to it (Only way to give video straight from the GPU)

If I install any nVidia Driver with/without the VGA, the computer crashes and before that it gives weird colors like when you OC your gpu and is getting forced to output video.

I tried:

• Removing the GPU, remove CMOS battery, plug back GPU and plug back CMOS battery
  • let it be on without vga, either shutdown, restarts or stays with the screen on

I Had read that people modify their nvidia drivers (.inf) but they dont say how, and cant find any info on that.

Please help me.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Hello,

Can you detail a bit more what you have done? By gpu you mean, i think, real laptop internal gpu pci-e or a  external eGPU adapter?

Witch gpu are you swapping? What was the cause of the zbook death?

Would be nice you give us some more information, because like this it is pretty hard to give you a hand!

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
TKRT
 TKRT
(@tkrt)

Its Internal GPU PCI-E,

I have a K4000M installed, but I want to replace that to a K4100M which has OC.

The cause of the Zbook dead was because of faulty BIOS and no longer warranty, SATA Drives didnt work, Faulty audio from Hardware, and other things, but The GPU still works.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

What version of Windows are you using and which NVIDIA drivers are you installing?

The latest K4100M drivers are...

ODE branch - R375 U5 (376.84)

QNF branch - R378 U2 (378.66)

ReplyQuote
TKRT
 TKRT
(@tkrt)

Used the Nvidia driver QNF Branch 378.66

Used the nvidia driver from HP 373.06

I use Windows 10 Pro Build 1607

Also tried to do small modifications on .inf, which are useless since the GPU is supported on both drivers, but still the GPU hardware id weren't there because it has an OC vBios, but on the zbook I used the QNF 378.66, the laptop died like 6 days ago, and the GPU was working like a charm on OC

ReplyQuote