Late 2013 15-inch MacBook Pro with 49-inch Ultrawide Monitor

Notifications
Clear all

Late 2013 15-inch MacBook Pro with 49-inch Ultrawide Monitor  

RSS

bleung
(@bleung)

Hi there, I was looking to get the LG 49WL95C-W 49 Dual QHD IPS UltraWide Curved Monitor or a similar 49-inch ultrawide monitor and use it with my current laptop for just coding and productivity.

Specs:

• Processor: 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB + Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

As I enjoy coding on MacOS and feel that my machine can still function well enough, I thought I'd rather invest the money into the monitor instead of building a new machine entirely.

Currently plugging in any external monitor becomes a struggle for my laptop so I'm thinking an eGPU is the best solution.

My current things to buy are:

Things I'm unsure about:

• Will I be able to utilise the monitor fully?
  • Is future-proofing with a thunderbolt 3 eGPU chassis a good idea?
  • Is this the best graphics card for my needs? (4GB vs 8GB, not using for gaming, etc)

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts and suggestions on the best use of money for my needs, thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @bleung
  • Is this the best graphics card for my needs? (4GB vs 8GB, not using for gaming, etc
  • What do you mean? If you mean resolution, yes.
  • Yes.
  • It's well over spec if your only goal is driving the display.

Make note that there are some constraints to running eGPUs on Macs with discrete NVIDIA GPUs. Read the master thread in my signature for the 2014 MBP (nearly same as Late-2013) which notes the issues.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

bleung liked
ReplyQuote
bleung
(@bleung)

Posted by: @mac_editor
  • Is this the best graphics card for my needs? (4GB vs 8GB, not using for gaming, etc
  • What do you mean? If you mean resolution, yes.
  • Yes.
  • It's well over spec if your only goal is driving the display.

Make note that there are some constraints to running eGPUs on Macs with discrete NVIDIA GPUs. Read the master thread in my signature for the 2014 MBP (nearly same as Late-2013) which notes the issues.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I meant resolution.

Thanks for linking the thread, just got through it.

So you suggesting getting a Kepler-class NVIDIA GPU such as the NVIDIA GTX 780 for minimal issues. This should be powerful enough to drive the 42-inch display correct?

Is it recommended to get a Sonnet Breakaway Box or Razer Core X?

Note: I'm running Catalina 10.15.6

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

The 49 inch display is 5120x1440.

Intel GPUs (previous to Ice Lake except Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake in macOS Big Sur) do not support width > 4096 in macOS.

Old AMD GPUs (Mac Pro 2013, or MacBook Pro 2015) will allow the 5120 width timing but will display weird pixel artifacts.

I don't recall anyone trying 5120 width timing with Nvidia Kepler or Maxwell or Pascal in macOS. I have low expectations about Kepler because it's old.

I think RX 580 is perfectly suited to solve this. Maybe RX 480 is good enough. I haven't tried that.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

So you suggesting getting a Kepler-class NVIDIA GPU such as the NVIDIA GTX 780 for minimal issues. This should be powerful enough to drive the 42-inch display correct?

Is it recommended to get a Sonnet Breakaway Box or Razer Core X ?

Note: I'm running Catalina 10.15.6

While the 780 would have the least issues, on Catalina, DisplayPort output may not work (plus @joevt's concerns). There was some discussion about this here: https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/issues/48

RX 560 would work for you too (but 580 in general is much faster). If you use purge-nvda, you'll face the issues mentioned in the master thread - but you can avoid all that if you follow https://egpu.io/forums/builds/MacBook-pro-15-retina-mid-2012-razer-core-x-with-rx-580-and-functional-sleeping-waking-up-and-brightness-control/

I'd recommend the Mantiz Saturn Pro for the eGPU enclosure.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bleung
(@bleung)

I appreciate the responses @joevt, @mac_editor!

The Mantiz Saturn Pro looks awesome. Definitely liking the extra USB ports and SSD/HDD bay.

I think I might go with the RX 560 if that's good enough. With this, how much GB of VRAM should I get if I'm not gaming?

As for the guide,

"Still some sacrifice had to be made – Nvidia dGPU is now always disabled under daily use which means there is no additional graphical power on the go." does this mean the Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB is still available?

How much of a concern is not having the additional graphics power on the go?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I think I might go with the RX 560 if that's good enough. With this, how much GB of VRAM should I get if I'm not gaming?

Don't think that should matter - but preferably get the 4GB model.

does this mean the Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB is still available?

Yes, this is a requirement for properly functional internal display.

How much of a concern is not having the additional graphics power on the go?

Depends on your use-cases.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

bleung liked
ReplyQuote