General Discussions
MacBook Pro 2017++ (with TB3) and 3 x [email protected]

MacBook Pro 2017++ (with TB3) and 3 x [email protected]  

RSS

harkonnen
(@mehenn)
Estimable Member

I am not new to this, just rusty. After some years of using a desktop just because Apple did not released 13" inch 4 core 8 threads laptop, now I noticed they have! I want it, but also I got used to my 3 x [email protected] monitor setup powered by a Vega64 on a desktop.

Is there any possibility to build/buy an eGPU that can be hooked to my 3 monitors and deliver 4k @60Hz with an 13" MacBook Pro? One of the monitors can still be powered from the MacBook directly if necessarily/possible...

The eGpu can be DYI or bought as it is. Money is not a problem. GPUs are not a problem - I have several lying around.

So.. You masters of eGPU will you help me?

Thank you!

This topic was modified 4 days ago

late-2016 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (TB3 to TB2 adapter) (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.12.3
late-2016 13" MBP + Quadro M2000/FirePro WX5100/GTX750-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12.3
(Custom Thunder cables)

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mehenn Good to see you back! The 2019 13″ MacBook Pro is a great host for eGPU. With 10th gen U-CPU laptops already out, I would say to wait a bit longer for a 6-core i7-10710U MacBook Pro. You can easily power 3x [email protected] monitors with all recent Radeon graphics cards (3x DisplayPort outputs). Here’s a build I paired the 2019 13″ MBP with RX 480, RX Vega 56, and RX 5700.

This post was modified 3 days ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
harkonnen
(@mehenn)
Estimable Member

Thank you Mr ITSage!

My main concern is that the tb3 connection won't be able to pair the pcie bandwidth needed for GPU. I remember having a tb2 setup with dual [email protected] so I suspect I will be good. 

I've read other posts and I remember the sleep bug vaguely. Is that stil around?

What si your opinion on the Black magic Pro?

late-2016 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (TB3 to TB2 adapter) (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.12.3
late-2016 13" MBP + Quadro M2000/FirePro WX5100/GTX750-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12.3
(Custom Thunder cables)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mehenn The Blackmagic eGPU/Pro is not something I’d recommend. Not so much because it’s overpriced but rather the non-upgradable approach. It completely defeats the appeal of external graphics. I have ran multiple tests with 3 or more monitors with eGPU. In one build I had the 2018 Mac mini + R9 Nano running 2x 4K monitors and 1x 5K monitor as well as 1x FHD display through the iGPU. Another build was with the 2018 MacBook Pro + RX Vega 56 running the same set of external monitors. DisplayPort is the best connection to ensure good output with full resolutions. HDMI connection would sometimes work at lower refresh rates.

This post was modified 3 days ago

ReplyQuote
harkonnen
(@mehenn)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mehenn Apple should be offering a 6-core U processor in their next refresh of the 13″ MacBook Pro. It may not come in the base model but an option for higher BTO is expected.

ReplyQuote