MacOS Catalina + egpu + NVIDIA GTX 760 = possible?

Notifications
Clear all

MacOS Catalina + egpu + NVIDIA GTX 760 = possible?  

RSS

(@yeongmin_jo)

Hi, I am a beginner for egpu.

I have Macbook Pro 13'', Zotac AMP Box Mini egpu, and NVIDIA GTX 760 graphic card.

As MacOS of the laptop is Catalina, I know only NVIDIA graphic cards with Kepler chipset are natively supported by the version.

Fortunately, I have GTX 760, so I tried to connect that into the laptop with the egpu.

However, the driver for the graphic card was not found, even the egpu and the card were recognized in the OS.

In the PCI tab in the system report, the graphic card was recognized as "VGA-compatible controller", but the report also said "driver installed: no".

So, is there any person who successfully that work?

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @yeongmin_jo

As MacOS of the laptop is Catalina, I know only NVIDIA graphic cards with Kepler chipset are natively supported by the version.

... only as internal GPUs, not as eGPUs. You need purge-wrangler or automate-eGPU EFI. However, there is one problem with Kepler GPUs in Catalina at this time: https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/issues/48

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@yeongmin_jo)

@mac_editor

Thanks a lot! I installed GTX 760 successfully with your comment!

But also for my case, Catalina just export black screen when the monitor is connected with eGPU. 🙁

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote