General Discussions
MBP 13" late 2016 buying advice.

MBP 13" late 2016 buying advice.  

RSS

Inotna
(@inotna)
Eminent Member

Hi guys,

I have been reading this site for a while. 

I originally decided for the base 15 inch 2016 model, but its way to pricey for me. 

So so I decided to to go with the base 13,3 inch touch bar model. But I can't decide if I'm gonna go with 16 GB ram or not. 

I'm probably gonna have photoshop, indesign and illustrator of it for light usage  and start doing some Final Cut Pro on it  don't know how much ram Final Cut Pro needs ?

on windows side wanna play some games when I'm out and playing at  a friends house with eGPU.  The only game I actually play on PC is Battlefield 1. I don't need to run it at ultra, med/high should do it when I'm not home at my gaming PC. Maybe wildlands when it's coming out  

i also have a Mac Pro 1,1 with 10gb ram 3.0ghz  AMD 7970 3b with El Capitan if I need it to do some rendering and stuff . And my gaming PC at home.

hope you can help me decide  

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
samklee
(@samklee)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Inotna

Hi guys,

I have been reading this site for a while. 

I originally decided for the base 15 inch 2016 model, but its way to pricey for me. 

So so I decided to to go with the base 13,3 inch touch bar model. But I can't decide if I'm gonna go with 16 GB ram or not. 

I'm probably gonna have photoshop, indesign and illustrator of it for light usage  and start doing some Final Cut Pro on it  don't know how much ram Final Cut Pro needs ?

on windows side wanna play some games when I'm out and playing at  a friends house with eGPU.  The only game I actually play on PC is Battlefield 1. I don't need to run it at ultra, med/high should do it when I'm not home at my gaming PC. Maybe wildlands when it's coming out  

i also have a Mac Pro 1,1 with 10gb ram 3.0ghz  AMD 7970 3b with El Capitan if I need it to do some rendering and stuff . And my gaming PC at home.

hope you can help me decide  

to be honest, I don't recommend the current gen macbook pros over the last 2 generations, with the following two exceptions:

1.  You're a focused enthusiast re: thunderbolt 3 egpu setups, and are fully comfortable with the fact that you are at the mercy of Apple as to whether your hard earned setup will have any longevity.

2.  You really want to use mac os with a portable thunderbolt 3 monitor (my case).  The ASUS MB169C+ works perfectly with 10.12.2 +

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I agree with samklee. The 2016 MacBook Pro is not something I’d recommend. Especially to someone who has been using a Mac Pro tower. These laptops are full of compromises and definitely a form over function product.

If you really want one, get the non-touchbar 13″ MacBook Pro. I’ve been testing my eGPU setups with one and it’s much easier to make the non-touchbar MBP work with Thunderbolt enclosures compared to the touchbar 15″ MBP.

Go with the 2015″ MBP. You can use either Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 enclosure for an eGPU setup. I ran many tests yesterday in macOS to determine real-world difference between TB2 and TB3 speed. In short, it’s a single digit difference.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Inotna
(@inotna)
Eminent Member

1. Hey

thanks both of you.

well it not is going to replace my Mac Pro entirely. 

Well I ain't buying a windows laptop and installing macOS and I'm decently not going to buy a 2015 model. Only the 2016 model. 

I kind of decided to go with the touch bar model to see what is all about. Been an apple fan for long time now. 

For the eGPU I might not happen right now but further down the road.

It's more like if 16gb is worth it. 

I actually got a call for a job interview on Wednesday and they use 13 MacBook Pro 2015, so if I'm gonna stay there I'm probably getting one through them  

ReplyQuote