Notifications
Clear all

One Cable Setup  

RSS

TheFurious
(@thefurious)

Hi guys,

I finally bought a new MacBook Pro 2019 13" with full TB3 capability. My Idea was to have at the end just one cable plugged in into my MacBook but this turns out to be difficult. Heres why:

• I currently use a Sonnet 350 Breakaway Box as eGPU enclosure. which isn't able to charge my Laptop
  • The best solution had could have been ( is that correct? I'm German Smile ) a Razer Core X Chroma as its having Gigabit LAN and additional USB ports. But It seems there are still issues with the LAN drivers. 
  • I'm using a LG 34UM95 Display. My speakers are connected with it and I would like to control these via my Keyboard Volume Controls. no matter If I'm connected via Thunderbolt or via the Sonnet Box via Displayport: I can't control he volume. I know that Software existing to handle this but these are really expensive. 
  • The location possibilities of my eGPU enclosure is limited due the short cable. I'm not able to find a cable which is about 2m which delivers 100 Watt and 40Gbs

My Idea was to use a docking station which is able to charge my MBP. But it seems that I can't connect the eGPU to it. 

I´m a little bit desperate at the moment. Any suggestions from you professionals which helps me get me closer to my 1-Cable-Dream-Setup? 

Thanks a lot and greetings from Germany,

Flo

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

I currently have a MBP and Core X Chroma, and enjoy a 1-cable setup. 

Regarding the Chroma, in my experience the network drivers aren't as bad as everyone makes out. Granted, the device doesn't go full speed, but I only have 300Mb internet so don't notice.

I have a 2 metre cable for my Chroma (wanted to put it on the floor due to having a slightly noisy Vega 64) and it works just fine, full speed TB connection & full-power charging. I've also got a USB hub hanging off the back of the Chroma.

Can't give any advice on how to sort the monitor->speaker thing - are the speakers built-in to the monitor, or are they plugged in somehow?

Razer Core X Chroma. MacBook Pro (2017/13”/i5/16Gb). VEGA 64

ReplyQuote
TheFurious
(@thefurious)

Thanks for the Feedback! Yeah my Internet is "slow" too (250 Mbit) but it's more for pushing files through the network (MacBook to NAS and vice versa). All Gbit here Smile

Can you tell me which Cable it is?
The Speakers are connected to the Display. 

This post was modified 6 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
trollied
(@trollied)

Posted by: @thefurious

Thanks for the Feedback! Yeah my Internet is "slow" too (250 Mbit) but it's more for pushing files through the network (MacBook to NAS and vice versa). All Gbit here Smile

Can you tell me which Cable it is?
The Speakers are connected to the Display. 

I bought the 2m Belkin. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072KPBKS3/

Razer Core X Chroma. MacBook Pro (2017/13”/i5/16Gb). VEGA 64

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

2m active TB3 cables are very easy to find.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
TheFurious
(@thefurious)

I was hoping for a secret super cheap brand 😉

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@thefurious

active tb3 cables aren't cheap because they're active, and because they're thunderbolt. I wonder if USB4 will lower prices... or their 40 Gbps active cables will be just as expensive as Thunderbolt.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
teltersat2
(@teltersat2)
Trusted Member

With that being said - if you run too many USB devices through a TB3 cable, you may encounter random "disconnections". This comes from the Electro-Magnetic Interference from a mouse signal (tested Logitech's G700, G703, G603 and G MX518 all with the same ill effect) over this cable. I had to resort to a "two-cable" configuration, one USB3 DisplayLink hub with a USB-C/USB-A cable, for most of my USB connectivity needs, and another TB3 cable for my eGPU+DAC (over USB).

Current build: 2017 15" MacBook Pro + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + Silverstone SX700-LPT (750W Peak) + Noctua NF-A14 + Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8G (rev. 1.0)
Replaced parts: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+; Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 (Reference model)

ReplyQuote