Panic after OS X 10.15.6 upgrade with AMD RX 5700 XT and Razer Core Standard

Notifications
Clear all

Panic after OS X 10.15.6 upgrade with AMD RX 5700 XT and Razer Core Standard  

RSS

infocean
(@infocean)

Hi,

I tried to set up a Razer Core Standard with AMD RX 5700 XT on a 2014 MacBook Pro with 16GB memory.  As soon as I plugged the Thunderbolt 2 cable the machine panicked.  Tried to connect it up to the laptop after the purge-wrangler script put up the menu and the machine panicked again.

The funny thing is that I am able to set up the egpu with the card on my 2013 MacPro running OS X 10.15.5.

The other funny thing that I was able to setup my Razer Core Standard with AMD Radeon Vega 64 card on the laptop with OS X 10.16.6.

So, looks like the OS X 10.15.6 does not like the AMD RX 5700 XT with the Razer Core Standard.

Best, János

Mac Pro 6,1 2.7GHz 4 Core AMD FirePro D300,
Razer Core X enclosure, TB2 -> TB3 cable,
AMD PowerColor Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB card

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@infocean, Read the beginner's guide for the script - clearly states the Navi GPUs crash TB1/2 Macs when plugged in before patching. Only plug in post-patch.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Murof
(@murof)

Hi,

And it worth the upgrade the 10.15.6 ?

video producer from betacam to RAW 4K - Pro drone pilot - Ursa mini gen 2 / phantom 4 pv2+

ReplyQuote
infocean
(@infocean)

@mac_editor, Sorry, I had an older version of the script and guide from last year when I did my egpu setup.  I encountered  this issue two days ago as I tried to do it for my son.  Now we just have swap back the Core X-es, because the setup is done on both computer. 🙂

@murof, You have to read the related Apple Knowledgebase article to see it for yourself.  I did it today on my laptop for the security features.  I will not do it on my MacPro. 

Mac Pro 6,1 2.7GHz 4 Core AMD FirePro D300,
Razer Core X enclosure, TB2 -> TB3 cable,
AMD PowerColor Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB card

ReplyQuote