ryzen 4000 mobile pci 4.0 support ???

Notifications
Clear all

ryzen 4000 mobile pci 4.0 support ???  

RSS

fotoroman
(@fotoroman)

Hi everbody,

I know ryzen 4000 mobile doesn't support pci 4.0, yet something I have seen in my hwinfo made me curious about it. As you can see here, it seems like it has pci 4.0 support in it internal pcie gpp bridge to bus station which is connected to vega7 igpu under it. 

To me it seems like this cpu support pci4.0 constitutionally but restricted to pci3.0 by amd. 

So I wonder is it possible to unlock that feature somehow like modifying bios?

Thanks 

pci4.0

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
fotoroman
(@fotoroman)

I have found something interesting,

https://wccftech.com/gigabyte-bios-update-pcie-4-am4-motherboards-amd-ryzen-3000-cpus/

It looks like some motherboard manufacturers had enabled pcie 4.0 support for ryzen 3000 with their bios update later sometime than their release

So in theory it looks possible to modify bios and enable pcie 4.0 support for mobile ryzen 4000 too

what do you guys think about it?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Notice you have two different PCIe ports:

Internal PCIe GPP Bridge
PCIe GPP Bridge

The first is used to host video cards and may indeed be PCIe 4.0 capable. The second is used to host peripherals like wifi, NVME SSD and AFAIK is limited to PCIe 3.0. It remains to be seen if that has been updated to PCIe in Ryzen 5000 mobile.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Carmonben
(@carmonben)
Eminent Member

Ryzen 3000 codename mattise (3___x, 3___,) supports pcie 4, as does threadripper

All other ryzen 3000 do not support pcie 4, and neither does 4000 (renoir doesn't physically support pcie 4)

In 5000 mobile series there are a bunch of different cpus, none of them have announced support for pcie version,

Current suspicion is zen 3 parts will get gen 4 and zen 2 parts will not.

however ltt said it was pcie 3.0x8 (and they were reading from asus' marketing points) and I suspect it doesn't matter what the cpu supports because gen 4 is notoriously difficult to get running on any form of available cables without a bunch of expensive redrivers

And nando4 amd on ryzen at the moment is using monolithic pcie controllers physically, just logically split up, it's unlikely to see amd running multiple different gens on the same cpu

2019 Intel Z390 (RTX2080Ti) [9th,8C,K] + GTX 780 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 // GC-Titan Ridge, [build link]  

ReplyQuote