Should I upgrade to Mac OS Big Sur from Mojave on a Macbook Pro 2017?

Notifications
Clear all

Should upgrade to Big Sur? Poll is created on May 06, 2021

Poll results: Should upgrade to Big Sur?
Voter(s): 2
Poll is created on May 06, 2021
Yes  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
No  -  votes: 2 / 100%
100%

Should I upgrade to Mac OS Big Sur from Mojave on a Macbook Pro 2017?  

RSS

Sebix5
(@sebix5)

Hi, community,

I want to read about your experience guys if is worth upgrading to Mac OS Big Sur from a Macbook Pro 2017 (Intel 2.9 Ghz) with Mac OS Mojave. I want to be sure because I researched Web and found that some Mac gets worse performance with the new OS; I'm a digital designer and use a lot of work with the adobe apps (mainly After Effects for motion design). I use an external graphics card (Mantiz Venus with a Vega 56) for my render videos and occasional gaming, so I also want to know if Big Sur doesn't down the external graphic performance.

Cheers.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
arglborps
(@arglborps)

I'm on the 16" (2019) MBPro with Razer Core X + Radeon RX Vega 64. All the newer Macs will perform fine on Big Sur it's only the really old gear that might not gain much in performance, because Big Sur relies heavily on GPU acceleration. But it's the horrible eGPU support or lack thereof that is the problem with Big Sur.

Big Sur has been a complete disaster for me. The only way to disconnect the eGPU "safely" now is to just pull the plug. Using the menu item will crash the machine 100% of the time. 

I also get random freezes (often just the external display freezes, the system keeps running) and basically most of the time my eGPU has become entirely unusable, because it's so unreliable. So for the time being my eGPU is just an expensive piece of furniture now.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote