Setup & Software Discussions
10.15.2 Catalina Beta Bootloop/Crash 5700 XT

[Solved] 10.15.2 Catalina Beta Bootloop/Crash 5700 XT  

RSS

Aegus
(@aegus)

I am getting a bootloop after upgrading to 10.15.2 Catalina Beta. 

I had this issue before and I totally forgot about it, before I had to do a full reinstall of MacOS. Can anyone provide the kext for AMD Graphics, more specifically for the 5700XT? Or is there a way I can repair it? I don't want to go through a full reinstall again. 

Edit: 

For anyone that stumbles on this, if you have a DP monitor it is worth unplugging it and trying to boot up and then replugging it back in once logged in.

This topic was modified 2 days ago

2016 MacBook Pro 15in Touch Bar + Breakaway Box 350 + RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@aegus Boot into Recovery mode [OPTION + R] then reinstall Catalina on top of your existing macOS volume. Your user account and data will be retained.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Aegus
(@aegus)

@itsage

I tried this only once, and it worked.... until I restarted my Mac.

I would have to reinstall MacOS just for it to work, after a reboot it stopped working.

I think I solved it though. It might have to do with the DP monitor that was connected. I was able to boot up with no issues after unplugging the DP monitor and leaving my HDMI port connected. Once booted, I reconnected the DP monitor and was able to use it as normal. Think it may be an AMD Driver issue since I think this is happening on the windows side too with the DP port.

2016 MacBook Pro 15in Touch Bar + Breakaway Box 350 + RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
rnb2
 rnb2
(@rnb2)

I’m getting something similar with my 2018 mini and the release version of 10.15.2. I can’t start up with my eGPU connected - just end up at a grey screen. I can start up with HDMI connected, then plug in the eGPU at the login screen. Everything was working fine before the update, so I may roll back from my backup drive.

Not rolling back for now, as 10.15.2 updates the Photos library, and anything earlier can't work with it.

This post was modified 1 day ago

2018 i7 Mac mini - OWC Mercury Helios FX (Sonnet 550) - ASRock Vega 56 - BenQ SW271

ReplyQuote