10.15.2 Catalina Beta Bootloop/Crash 5700 XT

[Solved] 10.15.2 Catalina Beta Bootloop/Crash 5700 XT  

RSS

Aegus
(@aegus)

I am getting a bootloop after upgrading to 10.15.2 Catalina Beta. 

I had this issue before and I totally forgot about it, before I had to do a full reinstall of MacOS. Can anyone provide the kext for AMD Graphics, more specifically for the 5700XT? Or is there a way I can repair it? I don't want to go through a full reinstall again. 

Edit: 

For anyone that stumbles on this, if you have a DP monitor it is worth unplugging it and trying to boot up and then replugging it back in once logged in.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

2016 MacBook Pro 15in Touch Bar + Breakaway Box 350 + RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@aegus Boot into Recovery mode [OPTION + R] then reinstall Catalina on top of your existing macOS volume. Your user account and data will be retained.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Aegus
(@aegus)

@itsage

I tried this only once, and it worked.... until I restarted my Mac.

I would have to reinstall MacOS just for it to work, after a reboot it stopped working.

I think I solved it though. It might have to do with the DP monitor that was connected. I was able to boot up with no issues after unplugging the DP monitor and leaving my HDMI port connected. Once booted, I reconnected the DP monitor and was able to use it as normal. Think it may be an AMD Driver issue since I think this is happening on the windows side too with the DP port.

2016 MacBook Pro 15in Touch Bar + Breakaway Box 350 + RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
rnb2
 rnb2
(@rnb2)
Eminent Member

I’m getting something similar with my 2018 mini and the release version of 10.15.2. I can’t start up with my eGPU connected - just end up at a grey screen. I can start up with HDMI connected, then plug in the eGPU at the login screen. Everything was working fine before the update, so I may roll back from my backup drive.

Not rolling back for now, as 10.15.2 updates the Photos library, and anything earlier can't work with it.

This post was modified 2 months ago

2018 i7 Mac mini - OWC Mercury Helios FX (Sonnet 550) - ASRock Vega 56 - BenQ SW271

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

I have a friend with the same issue with 10.15.2, he must boot without eGPU. He has a Vega 56

it is a common issue

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250934910

This post was modified 1 month ago

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
rnb2
 rnb2
(@rnb2)
Eminent Member

@ikir

I don't think it's that you can't boot with the eGPU connected - it's just not sending a display signal out via the Thunderbolt port, but it's there over HDMI direct from the mini. Once I log in, everything is fine.

Between Apple and Microsoft, they're really making our eGPU lives more difficult than they should be these days.

2018 i7 Mac mini - OWC Mercury Helios FX (Sonnet 550) - ASRock Vega 56 - BenQ SW271

jangoloti liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

I can't hot plug my eGPU anymore in macOS 10.15.2. I need to boot my Mac mini 2018 with the eGPU connected (one display connected to eGPU and one display connected to Mac mini HDMI 2.0 port). Maybe it's because I'm using a Thunderbolt to NVMe adapter as my eGPU.

Actually, I just tried again by flipping the Thunderbolt cable at the NVMe adapter end, now it seems to be ok....

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Squuiid
(@squuiid)
Eminent Member

Has anyone tried macOS 10.15.3 beta 1 yet? Hoping Apple address this.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos_release_notes

Mac mini 2018, i7 3.2GHz 6c, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 10GbE, Sonnet eGFX 350W (Noctua NF-A12x25 ULN) + PowerColor RX 5700 XT 8GB, TEKQ Rapide TB3 1TB SSD, macOS Catalina, Win10 Pro
Mac Pro 2010, X5690 3.46GHz 6c, 64GB RAM, Amfeltec 3x XP941 512GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB, Intel X540-T1 10GbE, Allegro Pro USB 3.0, AC/BT 4.2, macOS Mojave

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @squuiid

Has anyone tried macOS 10.15.3 beta 1 yet? Hoping Apple address this.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos_release_notes

No one? I really hope 10.15.3 fixes 5700 series speed snd boot issue

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

jangoloti liked
ReplyQuote