Setup & Software Discussions
13" MBP early 2015 macos 10.12.4 eGPU not detected

13" MBP early 2015 macos 10.12.4 eGPU not detected  

RSS

wasabi
(@wasabi)

automate-eGPU.sh installation works without an issue and the gtx 960 I am using is detected by the macbook. However, the nvidia driver only detects the card once in a while. Mind you I can see that it's connected via macOS's System Information. My setup had no issues in El Capitan. I recently upgraded to Sierra. I have also tried doing a clean install and that hasn't solved the problem.

Spec: 

13" MBP early 2015 macos 10.12.4

Akitio Thunder2, Zotac GTX 960 4G

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mzeb
 mzeb
(@mzeb)

Just got a similar setup working with a EVGA 960 4G and a razer core today. I'll let you know if I see similar stuff.

2017 13" MacBook Pro TouchBar + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a and restart should fix this problem.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

goalque, R u suggesting that all we need to do is rerun your script with :

1.) sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a

2.) Reboot

And 10.12.4 should run like before?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: exam23

goalque, R u suggesting that all we need to do is rerun your script with :

1.) sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a

2.) Reboot

And 10.12.4 should run like before?

I am quite sure (if you have a TB2 enclosure & Maxwell card), and the next restarts after that.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)

I can confirm sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a with reboot works with a late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m and eGPU GTX 750ti in Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure works on Mac OS 10.12.4.

I'm trying now with a RX 460, with little luck.

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 4GB - Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Windows 10 - Mac OS 10.12.4
Node 202 Skylake Hackintosh - i5 6600k - RX 480 8GB - 16GB DDR4 - Dual Boot - Mac OS 10.12.3 - Windows 10

ReplyQuote
mzeb
 mzeb
(@mzeb)

I'm having some interesting issues with my setup (see above). I've got the Razer Core plugged in and ran both scripts in this order. If I leave the core plugged in when I reboot it hangs before the startup chime. Unplug it and everything runs fine. If I plug the core in with the right timing after boot it comes up just fine but that's far less than idea. Anyone else seeing this?

2017 13" MacBook Pro TouchBar + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

Any updates with the RX460?

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)

Posted by: exam23

Any updates with the RX460?

I was unable to get the Rx 460 Single Fan 4GB GDDR5 True OC 1220MHz Displayport HDMI DVI Graphics Cards RX-460P4SFG5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JGQUIU0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_oxxZJOH1qLZT a" target="true">RX 460 to work. @goalgue suggested it might be an incompatible card.  I'm going to return and try later. 

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 4GB - Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Windows 10 - Mac OS 10.12.4
Node 202 Skylake Hackintosh - i5 6600k - RX 480 8GB - 16GB DDR4 - Dual Boot - Mac OS 10.12.3 - Windows 10

ReplyQuote
wasabi
(@wasabi)

I was never able to get it working withe the -a flag. After several tries, I decided to reformat and do a clean installation and that resulted with the same issue. Then on the third frustrated retry, I had accidentally deleted the partition and had forgotten that I had formatted by USB drive that had Sierra. So I went through with the internet recovery and had the laptop download Sierra on the fly. This is where it gets strange -- GPU was detected on reboot after running automate-eGPU.sh. So I quickly reran the script with the -a flag. It has been working ever since.

I'm super glad and I have no idea why it started working.

My next question -- I'm running a GTX 960 to drive a 4k monitor and I leave my laptop closed. I noticed that the GUI is a bit laggy at times. Is this normal? What should I use to benchmark gpu performance and compare to other eGPU to see if it's performing to standard expectation?

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

Any updates on Sierra Mac OS 10.12.4 with regards GPUs?

ReplyQuote
wasabi
(@wasabi)

It's been working for my setup but finicky. After the latest driver update it stopped working again. I'm not sure what the issue is.

ReplyQuote