15" Macbook Pro 2016: How to limit CPU thermal throttling when using an eGpu?  

RSS

Relvce
(@relvce)
January 15, 2017 8:02 pm  

Hey!
I just wanted to know if some of you could test how bad the CPU thermal throttling in the new 15" Macbook Pros is when using an external Gpu.
Is there a way to disable the Radeon Pro Gpu inside the Gpu when you're using an eGpu or does this already happen on its own? Or is there a way to cool your Macbook so the temperatures stay low?

I want to replace my Desktop PC with my Macbook Pro and want to have the best perfomance that's possible when it's docked and connected to an eGpu.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
January 16, 2017 12:21 am  

The thermal throttling when using an eGPU is less than the thermal throttling you get when not using an eGPU (because the video card under load is not located in the laptop). In other words, with an eGPU, your thermal situation is better, not worse.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member
January 16, 2017 1:52 am  

Nice!

Would there be compatibility issues running a Maxwell Titan with the 2016 15" macbook pro with the radeon? I'm assuming the radeon would have to be disabled

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Relvce
(@relvce)
January 16, 2017 7:16 am  

Alright thanks!
So the dGpu inside the Macbook is just not used at all by the system and therefore doesn't produce any heat?

ReplyQuote
Relvce
(@relvce)
January 16, 2017 7:19 am  

@ Anchoricex

I don't think that you need to disable the Radeon Gpu. As far as I understand it the system just neglects the Radeon graphics card and uses the eGpu instead for everything

ReplyQuote