16' MBP Razer Core X Chroma RX 5700 XT Not Allowing full resolution

Notifications
Clear all

16' MBP Razer Core X Chroma RX 5700 XT Not Allowing full resolution  

RSS

Chris Fodge
(@chris_fodge)

Hello, 

I'm pretty new to using eGPUs. Recenetly bought a Core X Chroma and RX 5700 XT to use with a super Ultrawide 5120x1440 monitor. Everything connected fine except MacOS sees the highest resolution as 3840x1080 instead. I was able to use SwitchRezX to get the correct resolution but when I load up games they only see what MacOS is saying the max resolution is.

Am I missing something obvious that is preventing MacOS from seeing the full resolution on the monitor?

2019 16' MBP
Razer Core X Chroma
GB RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Nicholas Hooper
(@nicholas_hooper)

@chris_fodge, Try this:

Open System Preferences from the  Apple menu in Mac OS X. Click onDisplay” Under the 'Display' tab, hold down the OPTION / ALT key while you press on the 'Scaled' button alongside Resolution to reveal all available screen resolution options for the display.

Worked for me in the past. It should show your resolution?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Chris Fodge
(@chris_fodge)

Done that, still only gives me 3840x1080 as highest resolution. 

2019 16' MBP
Razer Core X Chroma
GB RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Nicholas Hooper
(@nicholas_hooper)

@chris_fodge, Hmmm. Sorry that didn't work. Only other solution I am thinking of is that this is not a Mac OS issue, but rather a Monitor issue i.e. is your monitor definitely outputting at that resolution? I.e. check settings?

Also, are you using HDMI or DP? and what slot are you connecting it to on the monitor? (your monitor may cap the res out of a certain port so might be worth changing the slot it goes into, or trying DP if you are using HDMI or HDMI if using DP)

This post was modified 11 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Chris Fodge
(@chris_fodge)

@nicholas_hooper, I am using DP. The monitor is running at max res because I forced it to with SwitchRezX which makes me think that its a macOS limitation since I'm using software to bypass it. Just doesn't show up in system prefs with the correct res. I'll try changing to HDMI, but that presents another challenge because I ideally want to do PbP with 2 2560x1440  inputs from the graphics card and it has 3 DP and 1 HDMI. 

2019 16' MBP
Razer Core X Chroma
GB RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Koncept_Zero
(@koncept_zero)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @chris_fodge

Hello, 

I'm pretty new to using eGPUs. Recenetly bought a Core X Chroma and RX 5700 XT to use with a super Ultrawide 5120x1440 monitor. Everything connected fine except MacOS sees the highest resolution as 3840x1080 instead. I was able to use SwitchRezX to get the correct resolution but when I load up games they only see what MacOS is saying the max resolution is.

Am I missing something obvious that is preventing MacOS from seeing the full resolution on the monitor?

No you're not crazy. MacOS has an idiotic system for controlling screen resolution. I'm not sure why your games aren't working correctly. As long as your Mac is plugged into egpu and egpu is plugged into your monitor it should work as you've set it up in switchresx. Are you using your MBP in clamshell mode? If not, make sure the monitor plugged into the egpu is the main monitor in system preferences...that could be a culprit?

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote