2009 27" iMac as external display?

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] 2009 27" iMac as external display?  

RSS

Juan Jr Quezada
(@darth_raider)

Does anyone know if its possible to use a 2009 27″ iMac with Target Display Mode as an external display for an egpu setup on my macbook pro? I was planning on connecting a displayport to mini displayport from my gpu to my imac and running it in Target display mode. Will it work though?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

In theory your proposed plan should work. Give it a shot and let us know what happens.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

avj liked
ReplyQuote
Juan Jr Quezada
(@darth_raider)

I just tested it out and it works!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

avj and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Thank you for the update, @darth_raider! This is very cool and funny to see. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bofe
 Bofe
(@bofe)

Just chiming in with another success story. I was able to successfully get Target Display Mode in the following setup:

2016 13" MBP w/Touchbar
-> Zotac Amp Box Mini
-> GTX 1050
-> DisplayPort-to-MiniDisplayPort cable (Amazon Basics, $10)
-> Late 2009 27" iMac

Note that according to Apple's support article, iMacs from 2011-2014 require a Thunderbolt connection, not a DisplayPort connection, meaning this may be limited to a pretty narrow range of target iMacs.

The only thing not working as (possibly?) expected is that the iMac's built-in speakers can no longer be targeted by my MBP. I was previously doing this successfully on Thunderbolt3-to-DisplayPort without an eGPU in-between, so small bummer, but I'm ok with it.

avj liked
ReplyQuote
avj
 avj
(@avj)

great! I was thinking of this idea then came here to see you've proved it works.
Why buy an external monitor (a dell 23.8 QUHD - 2K) for the egpu setup when it'll work with a 27" imac?
this is my future setup:
mid-2014 15" macbook pro (tb2 to tb3 adapter)
sonnet egfx with RX 580 8Gb
one of these as external monitors: 2009/2010/2011/2012 27" iMac

does anyone know what is the frame rate/refresh rate of them so I'll know how it should work in comparison to using the dell display in terms of performance?

MBPr Mid 2014, dGPU: Nvidia750M ■ Sonnet eGFX 350 ■ AMD RX 580 8gb ■ TB3-TB2 adapter ■ Dell U2518d ■ high sierra 10.13.5

ReplyQuote
futuraprime
(@futuraprime)

I'm trying to use Target Display Mode with an old 2009 iMac and my eGPU, but I'm having no luck. I've seen this old thread where someone says they've got this working, but when I try to connect mine, it does nothing at all.

Specifics:

I'm running a 16-inch MacBook Pro with a Late 2009 iMac. I have a Razer Core X eGPU with a Radeon RX 580 in it. MBP runs macOS 11.2.1; iMac runs OS X 10.10.5.

When I use a Mini Display Port to Thunderbolt 3 cable plugged directly into the MBP, I can use the iMac in Target Display Mode, but I run into trouble with the laptop overheating so I want to try with the eGPU (which I'd originally bought to use with an older computer).

When I use a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable plugged into the graphics card, however, the iMac does nothing—it just carries on being an iMac. Do I need to use MDP to Display Port? Is there anything I can do to debug this and work out where the problem might be?

ReplyQuote