2009 27" iMac as external display?

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] 2009 27" iMac as external display?  

RSS

Juan Jr Quezada
(@darth_raider)

Does anyone know if its possible to use a 2009 27″ iMac with Target Display Mode as an external display for an egpu setup on my macbook pro? I was planning on connecting a displayport to mini displayport from my gpu to my imac and running it in Target display mode. Will it work though?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

In theory your proposed plan should work. Give it a shot and let us know what happens.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

avj liked
ReplyQuote
Juan Jr Quezada
(@darth_raider)

I just tested it out and it works!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

avj and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank you for the update, @darth_raider! This is very cool and funny to see. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bofe
 Bofe
(@bofe)

Just chiming in with another success story. I was able to successfully get Target Display Mode in the following setup:

2016 13" MBP w/Touchbar
-> Zotac Amp Box Mini
-> GTX 1050
-> DisplayPort-to-MiniDisplayPort cable (Amazon Basics, $10)
-> Late 2009 27" iMac

Note that according to Apple's support article, iMacs from 2011-2014 require a Thunderbolt connection, not a DisplayPort connection, meaning this may be limited to a pretty narrow range of target iMacs.

The only thing not working as (possibly?) expected is that the iMac's built-in speakers can no longer be targeted by my MBP. I was previously doing this successfully on Thunderbolt3-to-DisplayPort without an eGPU in-between, so small bummer, but I'm ok with it.

avj liked
ReplyQuote
avj
 avj
(@avj)

great! I was thinking of this idea then came here to see you've proved it works.
Why buy an external monitor (a dell 23.8 QUHD - 2K) for the egpu setup when it'll work with a 27" imac?
this is my future setup:
mid-2014 15" macbook pro (tb2 to tb3 adapter)
sonnet egfx with RX 580 8Gb
one of these as external monitors: 2009/2010/2011/2012 27" iMac

does anyone know what is the frame rate/refresh rate of them so I'll know how it should work in comparison to using the dell display in terms of performance?

MBPr Mid 2014, dGPU: Nvidia750M ■ Sonnet eGFX 350 ■ AMD RX 580 8gb ■ TB3-TB2 adapter ■ Dell U2518d ■ high sierra 10.13.5

ReplyQuote