Share:

2011 Mac Mini, Akitio Node, Radeon RX560 not recognizing GPU  

RSS

relishgargler
(@relishgargler)
February 12, 2019 9:28 am  

After spending a few days reading this site, I decided on the Radeon RX560 (MSI OC edition) and the Akitio Node, since they seemed like they would be the easiest to setup. I updated to the latest update of High Sierra, ran purge-wrangler and hooked everything up. Unfortunately nothing came up on the screens. I have 1 monitor running off the HDMI port on the Mini, and 2 hooked up to the 560. I thought maybe updating to Mojave would help, so I ran the patch and installed that, but the problem persists. Going to the System profiler shows that the Node is being recognized, but the graphics card is only kind of recognized. It shows up under the Graphics section as an External GPU made by AMD, but doesn't show any specific model information or even how much RAM is on the card.
  Type: External GPU
  Bus: PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width: x4
  VRAM (Dynamic, Max):
  Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
  Device ID: 0x67ff
  Revision ID: 0x00cf

Under the Thunderbolt section it shows this:
  Port:
  Link Status: 0x2
  Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x2
  Receptacle: 1
  Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.1.3
  Cable Firmware Version: 1.1.0

AKiTiO Node:
       Vendor Name: inXtron
       Device Name: AKiTiO Node
       Vendor ID: 0x41
       Device ID: 0x308
       Device Revision: 0x1
       UID: 0x0041DCF898D10A00
       Route String: 3
       Firmware Version: 25.1
       Port (Upstream):
              Link Status: 0x2
              Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x2
              Current Link Width: 0x1
              Cable Firmware Version: 1.1.0
              Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.36.0

What am I doing wrong? I tried reseating the card. I tried hot plugging the Node after login. I tried logging out and back in. When I force the eGPU menu item to start it just says "No removable GPU" in the dropdown.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

padams35
(@padams35)
Eminent Member
February 12, 2019 1:12 pm  

On High Sierra you need to select the install option for Legacy AMD for RX 460/560 recognition.

Mojave natively recognizes the 460/560 cards (on my TB3 2018 mini) so I don't know why that still isn't working post TB1/TB2 patch.

2011 iMac w/ Sierra, 2015 MacBook Air w/ HS, 2018 Mac Mini w/ Mojave
One eGPU for them all: AKiTiO Thunder 2 w/ RX 460 + 120W PSU

ReplyQuote
(@epicblob)
February 15, 2019 4:39 pm  

Is yours the half-height 560? I got a similar setup working last night (2012 mac mini, mojave, TB/EC adapter, MSI Aero 560 full height half length, dual screens) without issue. Could be that version of the card isn't compatible? If we have the same card then I dunno.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
relishgargler
(@relishgargler)
February 17, 2019 9:20 am  

I did eventually get it working, but had to install a fresh copy of High Sierra to do it. I think there were probably some weird conflicts going on from doing an upgrade install of Mojave. After doing the fresh install I ran the Automate and Purge-wrangler scripts, and it starting working great. I'm still running one screen from the HDMI output on the Mini just so I can keep an eye on the boot process. I'm thinking I might pick up one of those little HDMI raspberry Pi screens for that purpose so I can run all 3 of my big monitors from the card.

ReplyQuote